The MT-07 Forum

Stock Exhaust with Akra Tune??

Civiltechyyc

Civiltechyyc

I ordered an Akra Carbon about a month back from a Canadian online retailer. It looks like it could be another month or so before I receive the exhaust and I've already had my ECU tuned by 2WDW for the exhaust - no other intake or performance mods. Would there be any harm to my bike by running the Akra tune while having the stock exhaust reinstalled?

Our riding season is so short I have to make the best of it. April - September typically. Less one month for rain.

• Global Moderator

No harm, pull that snorkle and run the flashed ECU with stock exhaust, you will see improvements with the stock pipe, and later more benefits with the Akra pipe. I ran a 2wdw R77 flash for a few weeks on the stock exhaust - stock air filter - snorkle pulled, the bike pepped right up with those new timing and fuel maps (run 91+ octane).

• Like 1

Civiltechyyc
11 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

No harm, pull that snorkle and run the flashed ECU with stock exhaust, you will see improvements with the stock pipe, and later more benefits with the Akra pipe. I ran a 2wdw R77 flash for a few weeks on the stock exhaust - stock air filter - snorkle pulled, the bike pepped right up with those new timing and fuel maps (run 91+ octane).

You are a beauty, thanks! I didn't even think to balance the air flow with the stock filter housing. f@#king-A.

Civiltechyyc

In case anyone else reads this. I asked 2WDW directly and they said while it’s not optimal, it won’t cause catastrophic damages. Might foul your plugs after prolonged usage. I figure 7-8 causal drives around town won’t be the end of the world. 

side note - holy f@#k did that make a difference with a tune. Silky smooth throttle and WAY WAY WAY more power in the mid range. I’ve never gotten the front tire off the ground while accelerating in 3rd gear. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 10:53 PM, Civiltechyyc said:

In case anyone else reads this. I asked 2WDW directly and they said while it’s not optimal, it won’t cause catastrophic damages. Might foul your plugs after prolonged usage. I figure 7-8 causal drives around town won’t be the end of the world. 

side note - holy f@#k did that make a difference with a tune. Silky smooth throttle and WAY WAY WAY more power in the mid range. I’ve never gotten the front tire off the ground while accelerating in 3rd gear. 

Yep, 2WDW's flash is awesome smoothed out everything out. Their customer service is top notch when you have questions also. They are quick to respond to emails. 

• 3 months later...
nozeitgeist1800
On 5/15/2021 at 6:54 AM, Devilman said:

Yep, 2WDW's flash is awesome smoothed out everything out. Their customer service is top notch when you have questions also. They are quick to respond to emails. 

dude, you arent kidding. im absolute horse shet when it comes to doing mechanical stuff or even talking about / describing mechanical stuff, so i was very surprised with how patient and friendly they were with me asking (dumb) questions and probably giving too much or not enough info. great experience, totally worth the $150 to not have to worry about it.

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Like 1

Oh shi, I removed my Yoshimura long ago and reattached the stock muffler (like 3 years ago) and still riding around with 2wdw yoshi tuned ecu.  LMAO.

Civiltechyyc
6 hours ago, yamahazaki said:

Oh shi, I removed my Yoshimura long ago and reattached the stock muffler (like 3 years ago) and still riding around with 2wdw yoshi tuned ecu.  LMAO.

I'd check your spark plugs ASAP. Likely they are pretty dark. Same goes for your O2 sensor. Even after 700 miles mine was pretty bad with exhaust dust (for lack of a better term).

Yeah, doing major maintenance this fall, I'll add spark plugs to the list.