The MT-07 Forum

2022 YZF-R7

YZEtc

Fingers crossed that they at least got a few more ponies outta the motor. Either way pretty cool though

I doubt it would be hard to pull more hp, track and harder riders might want it, but the other 700s work pretty darn good for a majority of riders.  

That and from some reading over on ADVriders, the Aprilia may be encountering the situation higher performance brings.   A friend had one of the SXV550 supermotos and the motor was down in less than 15,000 miles, I actually think it was less than 10,000 miles, but I can't say that for sure.  That's what a 70 hp 550 runs into.  Might see that with the 660 twin.  Maybe not bad for a performance rider, but not too nice for a lot of others.  Maybe make one of the old Yamaha GYT kits for one to pick it up instead of making them all 90 hp.   The other more sensible option would be doing better with the suspension.  That doesn't affect the EPA/DOT regulations that need be met.

Just some thoughts from the average somewhat sport riding rider.  Not scraping pegs or hitting the track.

• Like 3

Triple Jim
1 hour ago, FrodoFZ said:

Fingers crossed that they at least got a few more ponies outta the motor.

After about 120 hp from the R6, it would be quite a letdown if they didn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

After about 120 hp from the R6, it would be quite a letdown if they didn't.

Considering the original R7 was bad ass, its got some big shoes to fill IMO. 90-100 ponies and R6 wheels and I think it would be spot on

• Like 2

Triple Jim
6 minutes ago, FrodoFZ said:

Considering the original R7 was bad ass, its got some big shoes to fill IMO. 90-100 ponies and R6 wheels and I think it would be spot on

Agreed, but it would still be less of a track monster than the R6 is.  Have you seen a video of Jared Barnes riding the Dragon on one?

stickshift

I don't think the engine will be changed at all from the current MT07. Too many emissions hoops to jump through for the cost of the development. Leave it the racers if they want more hp.

I wonder if a turbo kit would fit under the fairings? 😆

• Like 1

I agree. If they did make any changes to increase RPM and horsepower, they're slight, nothing major. Most likely, same as the MT-07.

Take a look at the people shown in the video. They seem like riders out there for the enjoyment of riding the bike, not going for points in a race series.

As far as the bike having the same designation as the 1999 YZF-R7, a homologation special actually made for racing, I think the Yamaha factory believes any confusion between the two bikes will be minimal and short-lived, and there are lots of people out there who never heard of the 1999 YZF-R7 to begin with. Plus, it just makes sense to call it the YZF-R7 if you want to market the bike as part of the R series of sport bikes. On top of that, marketing men will call the bike whatever they believe will help it sell.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 4

• Premium Member

Shorter velocity stacks and a new tune would be a nice upgrade over the FZ07.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I wonder if using the R7 name is gonna wreck insurance premiums. That kinda happened with the FZ. Most companies initially wanted over $1,000/yr to cover my 2016. It's now a reasonable $270/yr.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I wonder if using the R7 name is gonna wreck insurance premiums. That kinda happened with the FZ. Most companies initially wanted over $1,000/yr to cover my 2016. It's now a reasonable $270/yr.

Oh I wish I only had to pay $1000 a year to ride my MT-07...I pay ~$420 a month May through September then it is only ~$10 a month for October through April.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, seven said:

Oh I wish I only had to pay $1000 a year to ride my MT-07...I pay ~$420 a month May through September then it is only ~$10 a month for October through April.

A month!? Wow! I would have a hard time affording that. When I first started getting quotes for $1200-1400/yr for the FZ 07 I was shocked. I called around and finally got a policy for $370/yr, which I thought was absurd. I'd never paid more than $175/yr before.

$420/month seems like robbery! 

13 hours ago, blackout said:

Shorter velocity stacks and a new tune would be a nice upgrade over the FZ07.

R7 + extreme creations turbo kit🥳

Called my dealer today. He's got my phone number for when an R7 is available to test ride. That and a turbo kit just won't leave my mind...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shinyribs said:

A month!? Wow! I would have a hard time affording that. When I first started getting quotes for $1200-1400/yr for the FZ 07 I was shocked. I called around and finally got a policy for $370/yr, which I thought was absurd. I'd never paid more than $175/yr before.

$420/month seems like robbery! 

Oh it is robbery for sure. Sadly too is vehicle insurance is not private so no shopping around. The only way to pay less is to live in a smaller town but even then it is only about half of what I pay. It really brings home the phrase "pay to play".

Triple Jim
48 minutes ago, seven said:

Oh it is robbery for sure. Sadly too is vehicle insurance is not private so no shopping around. The only way to pay less is to live in a smaller town but even then it is only about half of what I pay. It really brings home the phrase "pay to play".

I've thought about the Canadian and US insurance situation and I think it probably balances out about even.  Canadians pay enough for motorcycle insurance that it covers the cost of the hospital and other medical costs that go along with it, but don't pay what we in the US pay for health insurance that does a similar job.  To compare fairly, look at the cost of vehicle insurance plus health insurance for both countries.

• Like 1

Bigturbomax

Well I got a message from Yamaha inviting me to look at the pre-order link. Looks like it's going to be $9,000 plus a 430 destination charge. Quick shifters optional at an additional $200. So by the time it's kitted out the way any of us would want it looks like it's going to be pretty close to 10,500 territory price wise. The specs do look nice though, moved up to radial brembo calipers, the inverted forks are three-way adjustable apparently and it does come stock with a slipper clutch. But from everything I can see they're claiming the same fuel efficiency and engine compression ratio, and that exhaust looks identical to the euro 5 exhaust that is installed on the new mto7. So if I were a betting man I'd say the power output is going to be identical. They also changed the rake brought it down to 23° so it's a little bit steeper than the current gen, and it's going to come with Bridgestone hypersport tires now.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

Shiny new ? If I need that I'll get out the bucket and shine the 1 year old I just finished sorting - suspension, brakes, ecu & pipe, wheels, +++

I already got a better bike, for me

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

... moved up to radial brembo calipers

It has radial calipers, but they aren't Brembo. The master cylinder is Brembo, and also "radial".

The general consensus is that radial brakes are the best. But why? In this video from the MC Garage, we’ll explore the features that make radial-mount calipers and master...

Nonetheless, I am really happy to see those brakes, and the other things you listed out!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I just got an email from Yamaha.... They sold out of the "pre-orders" for the R7 in less than eight hours today 😎-

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

stickshift

I think Yamaha have done a pretty good job of this.

It must be a challenge trying to give people what they want while keeping costs low.

The Brembo radial MC is a nice touch, as is the slipper clutch and optional quickshifter.

I still prefer my MT07 for the upright riding position (my supersports days are behind me), but it's nice that buyers have options.

img.jpg?id=60981e862a0ab64da8e7f6ea&w=40

A new generation supersport with Yamaha's legendary styling combines an advanced CP2 engine with an ultra-thin and...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, who are the lucky riders who put a deposit down before they were all snatched up?

Anyone here?

I was kicking the thought around until reality struck and I remembered I already have a bike.

• 4 months later...