The MT-07 Forum

2022 YZF-R7

YZEtc

I didn't see a thread for this new model set to make it's debut sometime in the near future. If you haven't heard of it, it's supposed to be a new bike what will be an FZ/MT-07 engine in a sport bike chassis. In fact, lots of Internet jockeys are saying it's a replacement for the YZF-R6. I was sent a teaser video from Yamaha Motor USA about the bike last week, and while they don't show the bike, you can hear the engine and exhaust note and it's definitely an FZ/MT-07 engine at work.

Anybody interested in such a bike?

I was pretty interested when I heard about it.  It could be a great compromise bike: good engine and powerband for around town and commuting, but a more sport oriented suspension, brakes with more bite and higher ground clearance for larger lean angles.  I wonder if they'll make any significant changes to the engine.

I'm staying tuned, but more out of general interest.  I doubt I'd trade my bike for it.

Edit:

For those out of the loop, yamaha recently released this video.  It shows and says nothing but you can just faintly hear the sound of a twin in the background.

Also on the CARB website (california air resource board, a division of CA EPA) the R7 was listed (in second tab).  Displacement is 689cc, same as the CP2 engine in the MT-07

Edited by clinical

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, YZEtc said:

I didn't see a thread for this new model set to make it's debut sometime in the near future. If you haven't heard of it, it's supposed to be a new bike what will be an FZ/MT-07 engine in a sport bike chassis. In fact, lots of Internet jockeys are saying it's a replacement for the YZF-R6. I was sent a teaser video from Yamaha Motor USA about the bike last week, and while they don't show the bike, you can hear the engine and exhaust note and it's definitely an FZ/MT-07 engine at work.

Anybody interested in such a bike?

I'm interested.  

I'm excited to see what their engineers do.   Wondering what changes they make to the engine.  It's current configuration is not setup nicely for a downdraft, top mounted airbox.  The typical configuration for ram air and a large airbox.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

M. Hausknecht

I expect that the motor/gearbox will remain as is, as will the frame and brakes (note the 2021 discs are already bigger than prior years) . I imagine the forks and shock will be upgraded for comp and rebound damping. Bodywork will be closer to full. I don't expect more because it isn't needed for the market I expect Yamaha to target. In this regard, I don't expect Yamaha to try to compete with the Aprilia 660. I really really wish Yamaha would, but I think the market is too small for the significant investment Yamaha would have to make. Afterall, essentially stock-motored Aprilia 660s were as fast, if not faster, on the back straight at Road Atlanta last week than fully built 07s and SV 650s.

I am glad that Yamaha do not compete in the same class as the Aprilia 660 which seems to aim for perfection. It would mean my MT-07 costing far more thousands of my money.  I expect the yzf-R7 to follow the MT-03/R3 formula (whatever that is).

Just do it! 

Bigturbomax

I suspect this bike is aimed more squarely at taking ninja 650 sales from Kawi ...which I believe it will. And MAYBE compete with the Honda cbr650 but than even that is a but upmarket given price and horsepower

• Like 1

I hope to see something like the tenere 700, same engine but everything new.

I would hate to see just fairing on the same frame . I really don’t like what Ducati did with the super sport 

• Like 1

Is it really a CP2 engine in the video? It doesn't sound specifically twin cylinder to me...maybe a bit R6 Crossplane'ish tho? But that doesn't explain the 7 designation. 

18 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Is it really a CP2 engine in the video? It doesn't sound specifically twin cylinder to me...maybe a bit R6 Crossplane'ish tho? But that doesn't explain the 7 designation. 

That’s me with my 07 for comparison , I think it sound very similar https://imgur.com/a/JrYLalt

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/11/2021 at 7:25 AM, Mad said:

I hope to see something like the tenere 700, same engine but everything new.

I would hate to see just fairing on the same frame . I really don’t like what Ducati did with the super sport 

Agree.

Needs an updated swingarm too.   Aluminum and something that is actually designed to perform, not just look MotoGP.  Otherwise Yamaha just copied all the FZ07R builders out there....

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Hmmm I wonder if those fairings would fit on older bikes. The headlight design looks totally different, though.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

While I'm not personally interested in buying one, as I have way to much invested in my track-only 07 to even consider starting over..... I've never understood the attraction to the discontinued R6 (I've owned one, and rode on both road & track, and HATED it). I think the R7 will bridge the gap between the R3, and R1 quite nicely. I street ride a 2019 R3, and with some upgrades, it makes a really nice street bike. I think the R7 is a good move by Yamaha 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

16 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

While I'm not personally interested in buying one, as I have way to much invested in my track-only 07 to even consider starting over..... I've never understood the attraction to the discontinued R6 (I've owned one, and rode on both road & track, and HATED it). I think the R7 will bridge the gap between the R3, and R1 quite nicely. I street ride a 2019 R3, and with some upgrades, it makes a really nice street bike. I think the R7 is a good move by Yamaha 😎-

I agree with you. I would not want one after sitting on an R6, pretty much sucks as a street bike (uncomfortable)  maybe a good track bike but I don't do that. I always love the look of them.

• Premium Member

Inverted forks, radial master cylinder and calipers. I like those.

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I think it looks pretty good - an MT-07 with R6-esque bodywork, ergonomics, and an R6 front end is what it basically seems like.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1

I like this color. That's a very good looking motorcycle.  The underbelly exhaust fits well on a faired bike. I really like that tank and tail.IMG_0426.thumb.jpg.3edf8485ee9b8653deaafa078cb5d923.jpg

• Like 2

I wonder if some of those features like usd forks will find their way onto the 07 at some point.  Standardisation must be a goal. 

• Like 1

Just do it! 

It's a great solution to mask the Euro5 Exhaust, and that cyclops headlight.

I would buy one if there is a way to put slightly more comfortable bars on it for street, then revert to the clip on's when needed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

It's a great solution to mask the Euro5 Exhaust, and that cyclops headlight.

I would buy one if there is a way to put slightly more comfortable bars on it for street, then revert to the clip on's when needed.

Yeah, the bodywork on that bike begs to be 'fightered. Mount up some bar risers and dirty bars, toss on a small headlight mask and rock it as an upright bike.

I reeeaallly like that tail. 

• Like 1