The MT-07 Forum

Wrong oil filter

Hi!

I just got oil filter from dealer but looks like its not correct model. I got Yamaha OEM 5GH-13440-71 filter. My old filter was 5GH-13440-60 and by looking manual and infos now it is replaced by 5GH-13440-61 which is the same. 

Between 5GH-13440-71 and 5GH-13440-61 there is small difference in size. Everything else looks same but -71 is little longer.

So question is will this wrong filter cause damage to engine? 

3 hours ago, Skydex said:

...will this wrong filter cause damage to engine?

According to Partzilla, the filter the dealer sold you is used only on the 2018-2020 Yamaha VMAX. That’s an oddly narrow application.

It may work fine on your FZ/MT but why take the chance? If it were me I would return it and get the correct filter. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, D.A. said:

According to Partzilla, the filter the dealer sold you is used only on the 2018-2020 Yamaha VMAX. That’s an oddly narrow application.

It may work fine on your FZ/MT but why take the chance? If it were me I would return it and get the correct filter. 

When I noticed it was wrong filter I went back and he said its just fine, just little longer. And he assured its fine to drive. But its really odd from dealer to give wrong filter even tho he was looking from PC parts. He gave me this because they didnt have correct one in stock he said

I think I will get correct one and be safe. Atleast can sleep nights peacefully and no need to worry about it. Only annoying part that I already installed it and put oil in. Didnt drive yet so... 

• Like 1

I would measure where the O-ring seats and compare the OD of the filter housing for clearance if I put it on the bike.   Honda used a relatively big oil filter - big compared to the smaller diameter filter they used on some other bikes.   Same O-ring seat, same thread, just smaller diameter.  They had the smaller filter made to fit/work with a bike that couldn't fit the larger filter.   Our parts guy at the shop where I sold bikes started using them on his bike, liking the smaller size look.  Same function different size.   

Same with cars, some use a longer cannister than others, the short ones being made to suit the fit to the vehicle.   I've used short filters on a vehicle I had that came with the longer one.  Volume of the filter body doesn't mean much since the flow is far less restrictive than the oil passages in the engine and you figure the pop off valve would be similar pressure among bikes running similar oil pressure.

But obviously if the O-ring doesn't fit the seat, the filter isn't right.

In a side note, we used to sell Honda filters to Kawasaki bike owners, it fit fine similar oil pressure requirements and was half the price of the Kawasaki filter.

• Like 2

I'd listen to the parts guy.  Like @klx678 said, as long as it fits, it's probably just an oversized filter.  I'm guessing it's what they have on hand, or they just don't stock the MT filters because they know this one fits and will provide more flow and longer filter life.

EDIT: FWIW I run a PL14610 filter on my bike which is a filter for a Honda Accord.  It's same price or cheaper, bigger and it fits.  I run the larger filter because I run synthetic oil and am trying to stretch the oil change intervals a bit.

Edited by clinical
  • Like 1

I think many filters are identical.  We see this in automobile filters too.  One filter may fit the engines of multiple manufacturers.  I think it's about space.  Some need shorter, some need smaller diameter to fit the space.  Others just don't really matter as long as the seating area is rigth.

• Like 1