The MT-07 Forum

Gears do not show when kickstand is up

jgavin

I just purchased a 2016 FZ07 a few weeks ago and have slowly been doing work on it. I've noticed that the gear indicator is blank when I put it in gear with the kickstand up. The gears show when the kickstand is down so I  think it has something to do with the kickstand shorting something but I'm not sure. I checked the gear position sensor and it was already super clean so I don't think that's the issue. I've googled it and found that replacing the shift sensor worked but I don't know if that's different from the gear position sensor and haven't been able to find much on it. Any help is appreciated.

ElGonzales

I think it is somehow related to a defective Starting Circuit Cut off Relay. We had a similar  thread some month ago:

https://fz07.org/thread/13412/kickstand-turns-off-gear-indicator/

There are five diodes in the relay unit, depending of which one fails strange things happen.

Edit: the relay unit is a simple AND / OR box for the signals of gearbox switch, sidestand switch and clutch switch. It's there for all this security stuff that shuts down the engine or blocks the starter motor if you want to drive away with your kickstand down or start the engine without pulled clutch when you're in gear.

Edited by ElGonzales
further informations
  • Like 1

Okay, thank you. Where is the relay unit? This is my first motorcycle so I'm learning as I go but I don't know where to start looking for this. I tried following the schematic but I don't fully know what I'm looking at.

ElGonzales

Hi,

the relay unit is the larger black box (tiny red arrow are pointing at it)  behind  the voltage regulator (the grey square with cooling ribs). Left side of the fuel tank. Yes, you have to remove the plastic covers.

IMG_20181228_123915.thumb.jpg.6e96a74cabc59285d323602b257b2535.jpg

You find it in the spare parts list with the product number 5VK8195050

A friend told me there's a pdf of the 2014 service manual flying around in the world wide web. In this you find an instruction how to check the relay unit. A friend told me it's on page 8-133 

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1

Update: I did the test of pulling the relay unit out and the neutral light stayed dark the whole time. I ordered the part and hopefully that fixes it. Thank you.

• 2 years later...
Tediyee
On 5/3/2021 at 1:51 PM, jgavin said:

Update: I did the test of pulling the relay unit out and the neutral light stayed dark the whole time. I ordered the part and hopefully that fixes it. Thank you.

Did you ever fix it I’m having the same issue.

Triple Jim
36 minutes ago, Tediyee said:

Did you ever fix it I’m having the same issue.

jgavin hasn't  been here for three years, so I doubt if he'll answer.  :(

• Like 1