The MT-07 Forum

DIY Yamaha special tool 1WS-12228-00 Cam Chain Tensioner (retract, release)

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

Rainy day, let's make that tool that you can't buy from Yamaha, because they only provide it if you buy an entire new cam chain tensioner (CCT). It's the wrench that you use to retract the tensioner into itself prior to removal by inserting it and turning it counter-clockwise until it stops, then you leave it in the tensioner while you remove it or do whatever. Don't pull this wrench out until the CCT is back in the bike and ready to have the CCT auto-tensioner engaged again.

Here's a pic of the cam chain tensioner part (with the tool you need, stuck in the new tensioner) USD $99.

cct02.jpg.9788f360b2916265f277d68d292aa43e.jpg

How to get the old tensioner out to service valves, or to have a look to see if it's showing it's age if you can't buy the removal tool without the OEM replacement CCT? You make your own tool because yes.

diytool02.jpg.8def43ade8654f5bdf8c25a12184a1d5.jpg

-----WAIT STOP easier way, read on down to version 2  post ----;

Cut & ground a torx into a 3mm hex key, 45mm total length. Opened the inspection window on CCT and inserted it into the "rewind" mechanism, all seems to be a go for shim valves job up ahead. If anybody has replaced their CCT, could you post the dimensions of the Yamaha tool just for reference, so we know what Yami had in mind?

---------

Edited by Pursuvant
sPElLINg horibla

ElGonzales

The question might be dumb, but I have plenty of this simple rectangular 3mm hex keys flying around and such for an 1/4" ratchet, 50 mm length:

grafik.png.f6811a330eb51105e116eb63b4a1e537.png

Can't I just take one of these? Or cut one of the rectangular ones down to the fitting length?

I took a look at a  spare parts shop, the special tool bolt with part no. 1WS-12228-00 is shown as available for ~2,60€.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
1 hour ago, ElGonzales said:

The question might be dumb, but I have plenty of this simple rectangular 3mm hex keys flying around and such for an 1/4" ratchet, 50 mm length:

grafik.png.f6811a330eb51105e116eb63b4a1e537.png

Can't I just take one of these? Or cut one of the rectangular ones down to the fitting length?

I took a look at a  spare parts shop, the special tool bolt with part no. 1WS-12228-00 is shown as available for ~2,60€.

If you have/cut a 3mm hex key end, that would be both long enough (i think about 40mm is right) and small enough diameter that you could insert it first, retract the CCT, then leaving that tool in place, have room to remove the mounting bolts.

About "spare parts shop", I have been to Yamaha and was told that part number does not exist on any of their ordering systems. Any help here, greatly appreciated. Searched internet, english sites find nada for this part number except where it's referenced in Yam manuals.

Edited by Pursuvant

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
9 hours ago, twf said:

I used standard L shape allen, never needed special tool :)  

L shape tool needs cut on both legs, so the "handle" clears obstacles when turning and the business end is short enough to fully retract CCT and still have room to slide CCT rearward to remove (with tool inserted) without being blocked by airbox. 

That sound right? How long are the legs on your allen, I'll make a copy of your success, don't need CCT hold-ups when shimming valves

Edited by Pursuvant

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

Post this one under the "second tries are for a reason"

Here is the new tool following our friends @twf and @AP996 inserted completely into the CCT rewind mechanism

Tool_01.jpg.06d73dd9599fce319f1e9c9b257cd1f5.jpg

Plenty of room to get wrench on the two mounting bolts after CCT rewind. Just take an old 3mm allen hex and cut it down

Tool_02.jpg.d6fbdce8e89d48cfe58c3cfd0c96a181.jpg

The short leg is 23mm, the tool leg is 44mm. Short leg can be a bit longer, just has to clear everything as you rewind. So which tool looks easier to make, Homer?

Tool_03.jpg.0e0eb21d483e755f9967d5adf4af9bee.jpg

Homer says don't do like Homer, do like @twf and @AP996

Here's a confirmation pic, a check of your standard length 5mm hex allen to see that it does "clear" the special tool and the airbox both, and you will be able to work with the two CCT mounting bolts without having to "bump" into the special tool (that can not be pulled out because the spring loaded auto-tensioner will snap back to extended when special tool is removed).

tool_04.jpg.d57d198faec6fd5a852eb40e7419050b.jpg

Edited by Pursuvant
confirm pic std 5mm wrench clears the special tool
  • Like 2