The MT-07 Forum

Did anyone consider an FZ-09?

fairorth

I finally took a test ride on an FZ-07 and loved it! I'm sold! It's just negotiations now ...

Anyway, I'm curious if any of you were considering the FZ-09 prior to deciding on the FZ-07?

Marc

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
04 MV Agusta F4 Brutale S (750)
10 Street Triple R
15 FZ-07 (arrived 12/6/2015)!!

I was and I test rode both of them. I liked the feel of the 07 far better than the 09. Also, I just think the 09 is ugly. I love the tube frame the 07 has and the R6 style two piece seat. I am so glad I picked the 07 over the 09. The 09 may have more power, but the 07 uses the power it has more effectively than the 09 uses its power.

I test rode both and enjoyed the FZ-07 much more.
It felt smaller, lighter, more maneuverable, had ideal power characteristics, and, basically, felt much more fun to me on the back roads I rode them on.
When I went home after the test rides and pondered what I'd experienced, it was the FZ-07 I kept thinking of.

No doubts from me! I'm with the others who replied here -- I love the look and feel of the 07 and thought the 09 was sharp but looked like a lot of other bikes. I'm a beginner/intermediate and the 07 is more than enough power for me and I loved the throttle response.

I just need to get the dealer down a bit and I expect to be riding mine next weekend!

Can't want to join the crew of riders!!

Marc

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

I originally went to the Yamaha dealer looking for the 09. They didn't have any in stock, but they did have a graphite 07. I checked it out and told them to call me when they got an 09 in. After 3 days of not being able to get the 07 out of my head, I went back and bought one.

• Premium Member

The great 07vs09 debate. Ride them both and see what you like. I haven't heard really anyone complain about not having enough power with the 07. However, none of us expected a supersport bike when we bought it.

I'm in warm and sunny Austin Texas!

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

I originally was jazzed about the 09 since it is a triple. I have a Triumph Thunderbird triple and, let's face it, triples are great. Then I read about the jerky throttle response on the 09 and the poor suspension coupled with the small tank and lost interest. Along came the 07 and it had great fueling with no hesitation etc....adequate suspension,TORQUE, better gas mileage and looks much better. Plus it is $1,000 cheaper. Never thought of the 09 again!

Incidentally "fairworth" I see you had a VT-500 Ascot! I had one too and put 40,000 miles on it. Rode it across country on highway 50 (the "loneliest: highway in the U.S.) from Annapolis to the west coast. You don't see too many of those Ascots around.

howdy Attila!

That Ascot was my first bike, so I have a very special place in my heart for that one. Took all my abuse and stupidity and never complained ...

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

howdy Attila! 
That Ascot was my first bike, so I have a very special place in my heart for that one. Took all my abuse and stupidity and never complained ...
Is that a VT-500FT Ascot (the V-Twin), or the single-cylindered FT-500 Ascot?Both were styled to look like a flat-tracker.The FT was out in 1982, and the VT was out in 1983. 

Mine was the V-twin so maybe I have the year wrong? 

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

I originally was jazzed about the 09 since it is a triple. I have a Triumph Thunderbird triple and, let's face it, triples are great. Then I read about the jerky throttle response on the 09 and the poor suspension coupled with the small tank and lost interest. Along came the 07 and it had great fueling with no hesitation etc....adequate suspension,TORQUE, better gas mileage and looks much better. Plus it is $1,000 cheaper. Never thought of the 09 again!  
Incidentally "fairworth" I see you had a VT-500 Ascot! I had one too and put 40,000 miles on it. Rode it across country on highway 50 (the "loneliest: highway in the U.S.) from Annapolis to the west coast. You don't see too many of those Ascots around.

Ok, just for the sake of reality, the FZ-09 suspension is actually a little better than the FZ-07. Not by much, but it is a little bit stiffer.

The throttle issue is way way exaggerated. I had no issues with the throttle. None. The new FZ-09 has the throttle corrected though.

I like both bikes very much, an this is the FZ-07 forum, but the FZ-09 is one hell of a bike and I love that triple engine. I smoke alot bikes in town, 0-100 MPH the FZ-09 is very tough to beat.

• Global Moderator

While I have to admit that I have not ridden an FZ-09 I think the amount of torque and power it has with my skill level was just too intimidating for me. I am more than satisfied with the FZ-07 and very happy with my choice. Not to say the -09 is not a great bike, it is just the -07 is a better one for me.

I started out thinking about buying a Triumph Street Triple. After deciding I didn't want that much of a bike for my first (and didn't want to spend 10k+) I started looking at the FZ-09. Shortly after I mentioned my interest to a buddy of mine and he told me to check out the FZ-07 as well. The lines were beautiful, the reviews were stellar, it was love at first sight.

Ok, just for the sake of reality, the FZ-09 suspension is actually a little better than the FZ-07. Not by much, but it is a little bit stiffer.

The throttle issue is way way exaggerated. I had no issues with the throttle. None. The new FZ-09 has the throttle corrected though.

I like both bikes very much, an this is the FZ-07 forum, but the FZ-09 is one hell of a bike and I love that triple engine. I smoke alot bikes in town, 0-100 MPH the FZ-09 is very tough to beat.

I think we all agree that both are great bikes -- and I am a big fan of triples. I was just laying out my reasons for going with the 07. Did I mention how light it is? Also it does wheelie pretty nicely too. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either of these bikes. Total bang for the buck!!

I test road the 09 when I first became interested in a naked. The 07 wasn't out yet nor had I even seen any pictures. I liked the 09 a lot but the dealer I was working with encouraged me to see the 07 when it came in as he liked the looks better. When it came in and I saw it, I totally fell for it. The lines/looks appealed to me so much more. The split seat, the cleaner looking tail and brake light, the non gold forks, etc etc. He let me test ride the 07 and I loved it too. If the 09 were styled better and closer to the 07, it might have made it a more difficult choice, but I am loving my 07

I picked up my fz-07 on Saturday. I had a test ride on it a week earlier and just loved it. I especially like the very flat (predictable) throttle response and the lack of much herky-jerky action when I'm off-on the throttle. When I picked up the bike the dealer preped an fz-09 for me to ride just for fun, and I did. I must admit, I am so much happier with the 07. Its just more fun to ride. The key word for me is nimble. The 07 has it, the 09 is nice but just doesn't have that same feeling of being able to flick it around. Its also a little more jerky on the response.

By the way, I'm coming off a Street Triple R and one of the reasons I prefer the 07 is that its a narrower and more agile bike. Yes, its more bike all around with improved parts and a stronger motor, but for me I'm in love with my 07 and don't miss the street triple one bit!!

My bike history
-----------------
82 VT-500 Ascot
86 VFR Interceptor
10 Street Triple R

I did compare both. I like the 07 better from a size and styling point of view. I do fit better on it.

The drive by wire issues on a non tuned 09 steered me towards the 07. The review one guy posted about this ride on the Tail of the Dragon was the deal sealer. He stated that the drive by wire made it terrifying.

I know a tune can help alleviate those issues, but I really just don't want a throttle without a cable.

I looked at the 09, I loved the orange color but I thought the 07 was a much better looking bike. I like the triple motor characteristics riding a friends Triumph, get the best of both worlds torque and the ability to spool it up. With that said I hate the sound of a triple :( To me it sounds like an out of tune 4cyl.

The 07 has a very predictable throttle curve, plenty of juice for on the street and it seems to "disappear" when you step on it.

Archived