The MT-07 Forum

Is a steering stabilizer needed?

TMTYWSH

Civiltechyyc

This question was asked recently on r/fz07 on Reddit. A lot of it comes down to what you're using the bike for. MC Garage has a good video on the topic.

My personal opinion is that if you're looking to do a lot of track days on the bike, then yes, it might be a worthwhile investment. If you just ride on the street, it won't really do anything for you other than making steering more difficult.

I haven't seen many FZ's with stabilizers on them. Your money may be better spent on suspension and tires for the money.

• Like 2

That sounds about right, @Civiltechyyc.  I've taken some bumpy turns leaned pretty far over on my 2020, and it was stable.  And I have motorcycles that do need a stabilizer.

• Premium Member

For street riding, if you have the need for a steering stabilizer, there's something wrong with your bike and you need to have it serviced.

A properly working motorcycle should not need a steering stabilizer unless you're riding it on the bleeding edge of handling, which you should only be doing at the track.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Every single super-sport comes with one because they are pushing the geometry of the front end , if you look at trail and rake on every single current Yamaha bike the R1 will stand out for this exact reason.

If you start searching for race bike handling so adjustable steering angle ecc .. you will find the need for a steering dumper .

An exception to the rule may be riding off-road, but please don’t on the fz 😂

• Global Moderator
23 hours ago, DewMan said:

properly working motorcycle should not need a steering stabilizer unless you're riding it on the bleeding edge

Or you have a death grip / locked arms style, that's affecting negetively what ever suspension you have. Even the nix-22 doesn't like it

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

I have a steering damper on my 07 race bike because its required. But even with Robem triple clamps with inserts reducing trail and caster and raised forks, I don't get any headshake unless I'm clumsy on the bars; it goes away as soon as I lighten up on the bars. I can't imagine needing one on the street unless there is something pretty seriously wrong with the headstock bearings.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

I can't imagine needing one on the street unless there is something pretty seriously wrong

Bikes are so good today. In the olden tymes it was on a bike by bike basis, scariest ride I owned was the Kaw H1 triple, had frightening head shake made worse by teenage lack of fear

Edited by Pursuvant
H1 1975, not the H3
  • Like 1

M. Hausknecht

H3 is well known to have had a "hinge" in the middle of the frame. I have a good friend who still occasionally roadraces one; with lots of frame bracing added. I had a 1981 Honda 900F that wallowed when cornered over about 65mph; kinda scary too.

1 hour ago, M. Hausknecht said:

H3 is well known to have had a "hinge" in the middle of the frame.

H3?

The Kaw triples aren't too bad once you adjust the steering bearings for zero play and get some good swing arm bushings in.  They are about like the other bikes of the day in that regard.  There were plenty of stock class road races won on H2s back in the day.  A friend has raced his H1 plenty with a stock frame in more recent decades.  I do have a steering damper on my 1972 H2.

Edited by Triple Jim

2 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Bikes are so good today. In the olden tymes it was on a bike by bike basis, scariest ride I owned was the Kaw H1 triple, had frightening head shake made worse by teenage lack of fear

I laughed when I read this, as my 71 H1 500 was the same. Quick as hell going straight, wobbled above 80. I rode mine from Philly to New Brunswick and back, via suburban Boston at 17. Had it ported, polished, and expansion chambers on it, with a H2 clutch and release.  A beast, but amazing at the time. :) It really could have used disk brakes, and a straighter frame. :)

• Like 1

Lots of guys here used to own triples.  I still have the one I bought used in 1978 and I still love riding it.  I've ported it to H2R specs and added reeds and 34mm Mikunis.  I made the chambers to Denco specs.  I had the crank rebuilt last year.  After about 40,000 miles the bearings were pretty worn and the seals were shot.  Note the steering damper.  No wobbles at 100 mph+ :)

jims_h2_moonshine_1024.thumb.jpg.e6690190e035ba0626f087862aec51f6.jpg

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 5

I know I am probably an extreme but I think more views the better. With my personal riding style I would not want to ride without my damper. It helps a ton with curve taking at 200km/h and it saves my ass when putting wheelies down at 180 km/h.

You can see wobble even with my stabilizer.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

Who makes your stabilizer?

Interested also @RaceTrec and also are those woodcraft riser plates in the up position?

On 5/2/2021 at 10:21 PM, RaceTrec said:

I know I am probably an extreme but I think more views the better. With my personal riding style I would not want to ride without my damper. It helps a ton with curve taking at 200km/h and it saves my ass when putting wheelies down at 180 km/h.

You can see wobble even with my stabilizer.

Wheeling is surely a reason to add a steering stabilizer.

But for the turns, il go with suspension first, and not just for stability, but because it helps with the squatting of the bike during lean ..and I hate to drag the kick stand 😂

18 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

Who makes your stabilizer?

Ebay :), tried different ones. All equally good IMHO and for my purposes.

5 hours ago, fzar said:

Interested also @RaceTrec and also are those woodcraft riser plates in the up position?

Nope. It's an Ebay CNCed. Doesn't work in the down position as they get too low and hit the tank. Crazy happy with it. Top 3 of my upgrades.

16 minutes ago, Mad said:

Wheeling is surely a reason to add a steering stabilizer.

But for the turns, il go with suspension first, and not just for stability, but because it helps with the squatting of the bike during lean ..and I hate to drag the kick stand 😂

I think this is a good statement. I am personally very light and have 0 complaints about the suspension. (I know everyone will disagree with me, I think it's my weight and size).

The main reason I wanted to comment on this thread is because everyone seemed to state that a steering stabilizer is out of the question for a MT-07. I just wanted to paint a fuller picture. Things has it's purpose and it's place. Not everything is for everyone, but most things are for someone.

:)

Edited by RaceTrec
  • Like 1