The MT-07 Forum

Glove talk... and maybe some other stuff on safety gear

klx678

I have been looking at gloves.  I watched the Fortnine video on beginner equipment for entertainment, but it got me thinking about the gloves.  I pretty much knew about all the rest.  It go me thinking about the sliders and did some research on them.   I am looking to buy some gloves shortly.   I'm not racing or doing track days.  I am fairly well convinced on benefits of the Knox SPS in a glove.   I figure I'd ask here for the point of view from a group that is inclined toward sport riding.  What's the scam guys?

Here are some questions for opinions or fact:

1. Where protection is most vital (I'm not totally sold on the knuckle thing, but it's ubiquitous now)
  2. What provides good, better, best protection for each area.  (what works for MX isn't going to cut it on the street.  I'm personally looking short glove though)
  3. Opinions on quality gloves at varying prices.  (I've seen gloves with sliders from the $29 gloves to $250 gloves and am looking under $100 myself)
  4. Any other contributions to the thought.

Again I ask about this here because of the kind of riders on FZs and MTs.  At the ADVrider forum  in the thread that started my thinking, one rider there seemed to think that the slider thing is a useless sales feature, that the function isn't necessary.   I also came across some different things that some may experience here, like the use of Stingray skin and experience with gloves when unfortunately have to "test their gloves" the hard way.

Most of your safety gear only matters if (when) you go down.  Knuckle protection will be appreciated every time you ride because it catches all the little things your hands will meet as they lead the way into the wind/gravel/sand/tree branches.

• Premium Member

My advice from personal experiences is to always recommend buying the best safety gear that you can afford. I have had lesser quality gear, a jacket and gloves, come apart in a 40mph street crash. 

Your hands will hit the pavement in a crash. Finger can be ground off if pinned under bike. I’ve seen this happen to two friends. 

Good quality gloves are comfortable and provide some peace of mind.

Revzilla and Sport Bike Tack Gear usually have some good videos showing the differences and features of gloves, they can help you find a pair that fits your needs and budget.

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I only wore a helmet and  for a long time. I decided to start using some safety gear because it makes sense.

( just read about what needs to be done for road rash)

Its amazing the difference in how I feel as a rider. I bought the following and am very happy with it.

I went to a modular helmet from a 3/4  ( HJC i90 Helmet)

Upgraded the gloves to Joe Rocket 1848-2003 Men's Phoenix 5.1 Hybrid Motorcycle Glove 

Great jacket  (Joe Rocket 1651-5102 Atomic Men's 5.0 Textile Motorcycle Jacket ) has a removable liner

Jeans from  MotorCycleiD.com  (Trilobite® - Micas Urban Men's Jeans )

I added hip protectoors from Amazon to the Jeans ( Surlim Hip Protector CE Insert Armor Motorcycle Pants Replacement Pads Pair)

So for a total investment of $550.00  I now feel much safer.  It's worth the peace of mind.

Edited by scat2me
spelling
  • Like 2

I have some (thankfully untested) Knox Nexos Sport gloves, and I’ve been happy with the fit / comfort / durability and the tightening system. I was also sold on the palm slider idea, and Knox, scorpion, first gear, held, five gloves, and some rev’it gloves seem to be the brands that use em.   

if I were buying today, I’d probably go with the Orsas, a scorpion model, or other short cuff I think, esp since I already have gauntlets that are still in good shape.  

I bit the bullet and got the Scorpion EXO SGS MK II Gloves.  Stopped at Cycle Gear and they were only online from them or Revzilla (owned by Cycle Gear).  So being in the Columbus area I zipped around I-270 to go to Iron Pony, which I don't believe even listed them online.  Got to try both medium and large, if they stretched a bit the medium would be good, but went with the large, which could still stretch and fit a bit.  Ran around $92 including sales tax.   

As a previous member said, it makes sense.   Doesn't make me feel safer, that's my job, but now if  push came to shove or should I say slide I am in better shape than any other gloves I have.   After reading up on the Knox SPS set up it just made sense.  Not a gimmick as the ADVrider said, but a sensible thing, like the Leatt neck brace I got for dual sporting.

Still more comments if anyone has them.  Seems the ones so far are saying sliders make sense.   Anyone with the Stingray material?  That one makes me curious.  Could very well do the job too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2021 at 6:17 AM, ducarmont said:

if I were buying today, I’d probably go with the Orsas

I have the Knox Orsa MK2s.  I've had them for close to 3 years and have held up well as my only glove.  I'm happy with the quality and I'll stick with Knox for my next pair of gloves. 

I had initially bought an Alpinestars gauntlet (don't remember name) but returned it because I was unimpressed by their quality.  Went with the shorter cuff Orsa, mostly because the gauntlet was out of my price range at the time.

firstyammerha

I did a 50 mph Superman imitation on my CB360 in the mid 70's and lost a big chunk of meat where the base of the thumb meets the wrist. That was really painful for a few weeks and got me into the second piece of riding gear I owned-first was a helmet naturally.

• 2 weeks later...

I went out for a ride yesterday and I still can’t believe the morons around here. Riding with shorts, shirts and maybe sunglasses? It blows my mind. 
i just picked up a almost new Scorpion jacket with removable liner and a removable rain liner. Great jacket, fits well and unlike the Joe Rocket I had before, it's very breathable. I also always ride with gloves, currently alpinestar summer gloves, very comfortable with knuckle protection and depending on weather, either in shoes or Dr. Marten boots. I have been looking at some of the riding jeans and I’ll be picking up a pair soon too.

Big fan of Five gloves, after using them I wouldn't buy a set of gloves without hard bits on the palm and knuckles. I generally don't like the look of fancy carbon fiber bits, or looking like Shredder, so it's kind of hard to find a pair of clean looking gloves. My all time favourite have been Five X-Rider, but they no longer make them. The closest is the SF2 or SF3, I might order a pair of those soon

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Loch said:

Big fan of Five gloves, after using them I wouldn't buy a set of gloves without hard bits on the palm and knuckles. I generally don't like the look of fancy carbon fiber bits, or looking like Shredder, so it's kind of hard to find a pair of clean looking gloves. My all time favourite have been Five X-Rider, but they no longer make them. The closest is the SF2 or SF3, I might order a pair of those soon

Those are probably the 2 major things I look for - knuckle protection and scaphoid protection. I've got a pair of RS Taichi gloves that are really comfortable, but are a bit too much for summer rides. I actually wanted to get a pair of Five SF1's for summer riding, but couldn't find any in stock at the time so I picked up a pair of Held Spot gloves. The Held's are nice, but the palms are a little tight for my hands so I had to stretch them a bit. They fit pretty well now.

cheetahman023

I bought 2 pairs of Racer Gloves last year.  High Racer Glove and Guide Glove.  Unlike my previous gloves it did not require any break-in, and no distracting material on my fingers because of the stitching.  Both Racer gloves comfortable and appear to be well made.  

On 4/25/2021 at 7:19 AM, klx678 said:

1. Where protection is most vital (I'm not totally sold on the knuckle thing, but it's ubiquitous now)

I used to feel the same way before this happened.

IMG_20210630_152254313.thumb.jpg.cf33817ac9724295861b1002f8898088.jpg

I'm not sure how my hand was trapped under the bar, but the bike drug me along for a few seconds before letting go. There was a lot of pressure on my hand. I was already nursing a set of stitches in that hand, so it spooked me pretty good. Made me a believer in outseam protection as well ( look at the base of the pinky)! Dianese Four Stroke gloves were about $300 new, which is a lot to swallow. Picked those up off eBay for around $100 iirc. Got about 20,000'ish miles on them now and no sign of wear. I'm probably get at least another 5 years out of them, unless they get crash damaged somehow. In retrospect, they are worth the $300 asking price, but no reason you can't buy used when possible. 

Edited by shinyribs

@shinyribs so I guess you're letting me know they just may come in handy... 😃

The Scorpions do carbon fiber on the knuckles.  They seem to have good protection in general, especially for street use.   

Thanks for the picture... worth a thousand words, of course.

• Like 1

My favorite gloves are the gimoto gp4

kinda old but nothing beats the kangaroo leather on the palm and are really good for hot climates!

literally crash tested by me , just a little dirty but practically new 

15 hours ago, klx678 said:

The Scorpions do carbon fiber on the knuckles.  They seem to have good protection in general, especially for street use.

Carbon fiber is very brittle and breaks into shards; just look at the mountain bike posts about crashing carbon frames. Anyway, here is an example from Lee Parks Design about carbon.

Big_Secrets__76250.1414173206.jpg?c=2

• Like 1

Maybe next pair.   I am mostly concerned with palms down over knuckles down based on odds.  It wasn't easy finding short gloves with the sliders in the palm.  Knuckle guards are split in two rather than one piece across the hand.  

I had to make( well, modify) my own offroad gloves to get the palm protection I wanted. There's shockingly very few people doing palm protection, and what is available is typically a small little puck in one area. 

EVERY one of my riding buddy's said the same thing about palm protection. " It's uncomfortable and reduces that tactile feel", or some variant of that. I challenged them all to go grab their bars and see if the area they were thinking about was even in contact with the bars. Yup. It wasn't. Preconceived notions can be rough. 

4 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

Carbon fiber is very brittle and breaks into shards; just look at the mountain bike posts about crashing carbon frames. Anyway, here is an example from Lee Parks Design about carbon.

Big_Secrets__76250.1414173206.jpg?c=2

Good point. I'd prefer PU knuckles over CF. Even just a couples layers of good leather would be nice. Molded CF knuckles "look sick" tho...

I use deerskin gloves at work daily and they last longer. Counterintuitive that such a flexible material can also be more resilient to abuse. One drawback I've found is the yellow color leaches out really bad. That could just be a product of my particular gloves, but I've had 3 pair in the last 10 years and they all turn my hands yellow when I get sweaty. Might be nothing to it, but I worry about chemicals getting on my skin, especially when I'm sweaty and my pores are open.

Edited by shinyribs

Those look like good gloves, I prefer rubber to fiber (but would like a combination of both [or tpu], if that's out there). Seems like on the more expensive gloves you get similar features like, goat/kangaroo skin, double stitching (no Kevlar - they stop using that) and tpu protection...

GP Pro R3 Gloves/Supertech Gloves/Jerez 3 - pricey options

On 4/25/2021 at 5:01 PM, klx678 said:

I bit the bullet and got the Scorpion EXO SGS MK II Gloves.  Stopped at Cycle Gear and they were only online from them or Revzilla (owned by Cycle Gear).  So being in the Columbus area I zipped around I-270 to go to Iron Pony, which I don't believe even listed them online.  Got to try both medium and large, if they stretched a bit the medium would be good, but went with the large, which could still stretch and fit a bit.  Ran around $92 including sales tax.   

As a previous member said, it makes sense.   Doesn't make me feel safer, that's my job, but now if  push came to shove or should I say slide I am in better shape than any other gloves I have.   After reading up on the Knox SPS set up it just made sense.  Not a gimmick as the ADVrider said, but a sensible thing, like the Leatt neck brace I got for dual sporting.

Still more comments if anyone has them.  Seems the ones so far are saying sliders make sense.   Anyone with the Stingray material?  That one makes me curious.  Could very well do the job too.

Checking those out at the bike shop just now. Seems like the Knox brand sliders are another $5 over Scorpions own version. That's legit palm stuff going on there. Seems like thet knuckles are encased in pretty flexible urethane, so I doubt splintering would cross my mind. Let me know if yours stretch when they break in. I would've bought em on the spot but the left hand glove was a bit too tight. 

From a glance, these give Dianese Four Strokes a run for their money while costing less than a third of the price. Dianese better tighten up. 

IMG_20210702_135446269.thumb.jpg.819eb0ced98f942631e3b8c4c0ceeeb0.jpg

Edited by shinyribs

I have the Scorpion EXO SGS II gloves, the sliders are actually Knox.   I tried both the medium and large, went with the large, they were snug enough, medium was too tight.  If I knew they'd stretch a fair amount I might have done the medium, but I figure the large will pretty much mold to my hands nicely.   I need some more time on them.  They should be a decent fit after some more miles.  

I specifically looked for the palm sliders after watching Ryan @ fortnine and I think perhaps his video on gloves.  His comments about landing palms down made total sense the way wrists would roll under.   

I will post up some comments on the fit after some more time.

• Like 1

I love my Reax Castor gloves, it's a mid length glove. I also bought a Skull Riderz Mesh jacket and is very nice that I bought another one all I needed to do was upgrade the armor to CE 2. Great for town riding but I don't know if I trust it for highway use. Best summer jacket I've owned. I wanted something that flowed air with protection and not look like a racer. LOL.

ROAD-ARMOR-MESH-KEVLAR-BIKER-SHIRT-GRAY-

Are you riding in hot temperatures, wanting to stay protected, but not wanting to sweat and feel...

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some Klim Induction Gloves off cycle gears site. Most comfortable gloves I've owned so far. I've been riding with cheap bilt mesh gloves until these. I won't go back.  I'm always looking for ways to make things more comfortable and safe while riding.  Ill definitely look into the Lee Parks stuff.