The MT-07 Forum

Advice on MT-07 mods

BruceWayne911

nozeitgeist1800
18 minutes ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I dont have a problem with the stock seat but I'm just a weekend warrior. I usually ride once a week averaging about 90 miles. Coming up on my 1,000 miles mark soon.

Next year I'm planning on buying the Corbin seat. Life is short Indont mind spending the extra cash to get the most enjoyment outta the bike.

Damn, you're a stronger man than me. I rode mine 90 miles home when I bought it, I was ready to be done halfway. That's on Missouri's roads, which are notoriously not good, though, plus I like to fidget in my seat which the stock seat definitely doesn't let you do unless you want to grind on your gas tank.

• Like 1

Rear ends break in to seats more than you might think.  A seat that feels  uncomfortable can feel fine after a couple thousand miles of regular riding.  I never give up on a seat without using it for quite a while first.  Big and soft and plush might feel good in the short term, but isn't always best for the long term.

• Like 2

BruceWayne911
3 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Rear ends break in to seats more than you might think.  A seat that feels  uncomfortable can feel fine after a couple thousand miles of regular riding.  I never give up on a seat without using it for quite a while first.  Big and soft and plush might feel good in the short term, but isn't always best for the long term.

Can you elaborate?

4 minutes ago, BruceWayne911 said:

Can you elaborate?

I'm not sure what you'd like me to elaborate on.

BruceWayne911
5 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I'm not sure what you'd like me to elaborate on.

You said big, soft, plush may be good for the short term but not the long. I just wanted to know because those Corbin seats are expensive.

Oh... nothing to do with Corbin specifically.   I move around on the seat quite a bit when I'm riding a motorcycle, and have found that some seats that feel very comfortable at first actually lock me into one position more than I like.  The stock MT-07 seat lets me move forward to sit more upright, or rearward to lean into the wind at high speed.  It also lets me easily shift my weight left and right.  A seat with more of a saddle shape could tend to prevent this ease of movement.

I rode a friend's stock KTM 390 Duke on the Dragon.  I immediately noticed that the seat had me pretty well locked into one position, and it was difficult to hang off in tight turns.  I would not be happy with that seat.  If I were thinking of spending what it takes to get an aftermarket seat I'd want to try it for a few miles or more before I placed the order, or work with a custom seat maker who understands what I want and will do what it takes to achieve that.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

You said big, soft, plush may be good for the short term but not the long. I just wanted to know because those Corbin seats are expensive.

Corbin foam is quite firm. Stock seat foams on all bikes are almost always too soft. The soft, cushy foam can give a good impression when sitting on a bike at the dealership, but that softness let's the foam slowly collapse under your weight while you ride. Sure, it'll spring back up when you get off and look like it always did, but after a couple hours of riding you start bottoming through the foam and that's when discomfort sets in. Corbin's firm foam feels a bit harsh at first, but it's supportive and you notice several hours later that it's still holding you up, and your butt don't hurt! 

Like how my flip flops with foamy soles are comfy walking around in the yard, but it hurts if I step on a stone and it nearly pokes through the sole. The firmer soles on my work boots don't have the same issue.

I believe this is what Triple Jim was referring to. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

fwiw, the most comfortable seat I've had was a corbin seat that was taken all the way down to the pan.   I bought it used and it allowed me to flat foot my sv650.  it sounds counter intuitive cuz the thing was hard as rock but if I ever get another corbin I'll prolly do the same.  I'm only an hour from Hollister and they don't charge extra for custom fittings.

nozeitgeist1800
8 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Oh... nothing to do with Corbin specifically.   I move around on the seat quite a bit when I'm riding a motorcycle, and have found that some seats that feel very comfortable at first actually lock me into one position more than I like.  The stock MT-07 seat lets me move forward to sit more upright, or rearward to lean into the wind at high speed.  It also lets me easily shift my weight left and right.  A seat with more of a saddle shape could tend to prevent this ease of movement.

I rode a friend's stock KTM 390 Duke on the Dragon.  I immediately noticed that the seat had me pretty well locked into one position, and it was difficult to hang off in tight turns.  I would not be happy with that seat.  If I were thinking of spending what it takes to get an aftermarket seat I'd want to try it for a few miles or more before I placed the order, or work with a custom seat maker who understands what I want and will do what it takes to achieve that.

i can definitely understand what you mean about the seat locking you in place. i tend to be aggressive as far as speed goes, but when it comes to corners im still a giant wuss, so i dont do a huge amount of leaning. i can totally see where that would be an issue with the corbin seat, though, since the sides are where i feel pressure now. thats a great thing for me, takes the vibration and pressure out of my bony ass and puts it on my chunkier hips where its soo much more comfortable (even welcome sometimes), but maybe someone who leans more might see it as detrimental

7 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

i tend to be aggressive as far as speed goes, but when it comes to corners im still a giant wuss, so i dont do a huge amount of leaning.

Careful... going fast without being experienced in cornering is not a safe combination!  Brakes are only one way of avoiding a crash.  I bet you'd have fun at a track day and benefit hugely from it.

• Like 1

nozeitgeist1800
On 8/27/2021 at 7:16 AM, Triple Jim said:

Careful... going fast without being experienced in cornering is not a safe combination!  Brakes are only one way of avoiding a crash.  I bet you'd have fun at a track day and benefit hugely from it.

oh, i was definitely meaning that i dont take corners fast enough to require very much leaning. it's half inexperience and half due to the way theyve been paving roads near me lately - they do it with this kinda loose gravel crap that they kinda let the cars pack down for them instead of using the roller thing. makes me VERY nervous around corners, even my suv slips a bit going around turns here

• 2 weeks later...
BruceWayne911
On 8/26/2021 at 10:31 AM, nozeitgeist1800 said:

Damn, you're a stronger man than me. I rode mine 90 miles home when I bought it, I was ready to be done halfway. That's on Missouri's roads, which are notoriously not good, though, plus I like to fidget in my seat which the stock seat definitely doesn't let you do unless you want to grind on your gas tank.

Recently I went on a 3hr backroad round trip only stopping for gas. I noticed what you your saying about the stock seat. My rear end wasn't in extreme pain but I was ready to get off the bike.