The MT-07 Forum

Advice on MT-07 mods

BruceWayne911

BruceWayne911
16 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@BruceWayne911, if you are even slightly mechanically adept installing the exhaust will be easy.  I would replace the gaskets too.  A lot of guys do not and have no problems but I figure why not do it right and not have the slim possibility of a leak. 

Is $309 for a power commander a good price?

BruceWayne911

I'm also looking for exhaust gaskets but I didn't see any on Revzilla, are there any other places to buy?

I have two sets of gaskets at home. If you live in the US I could send you a set since I'm not using them. Just let me know. No charge.

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I'm also looking for exhaust gaskets but I didn't see any on Revzilla, are there any other places to buy?

Revzilla has them but it will not let me post a link.  They are part #5 in the exhaust parts diagram.  Devilman has a better deal though so I would send him a pm. 

I do not know what a good price for a  Power Commander is, I had me ECU flashed by @2wheeldynoworks and am very happy with the results. 

2wheeldynoworks
On 6/12/2021 at 1:48 PM, BruceWayne911 said:

Is $309 for a power commander a good price?

No amount of money for a Power Commander is a good price.

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/blogs/articles/why-is-ecu-flashing-better-than-using-a-piggyback-fuel-controller

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, 2wheeldynoworks said:

What if you want to hook up a wideband O2 sensor to control fueling, easily incorporate a quickshifter or switch between 2 fuel/ignition maps on the go? 

Flash tuning and piggy backs both have their pros and cons.

• Like 1

2wheeldynoworks
9 hours ago, stickshift said:

What if you want to hook up a wideband O2 sensor to control fueling, easily incorporate a quickshifter or switch between 2 fuel/ignition maps on the go? 

Flash tuning and piggy backs both have their pros and cons.

No, there's no "pro" to a piggyback fuel controller on these bikes. They're high failure rate, the QS is massively more reliable when used directly through the stock ECU pinout, and the wideband systems are a complete joke. The FTECU Active Tune is by FAR the most advanced thing on the market for full closed loop control, and it adjusts IAP v RPM and TPS v RPM maps independently of each other. You'll never have as good of an end result with a single TPS v RPM overlay using a piggyback.

If you need to switch between fuel maps, you simply quick-write the ECU with an on-bike harness and in about 90 seconds you're good to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Handlebar.

I found the bars far too narrow on the 07. Swap them out for something like the Protaper Henry Reeds or Carmichaels. There also different options from Renthal too. You may have to look for reviews or try and demo different bars on the bike to see which ones work for you. It is a very popular mod for the 07.

Interestingly, Yam changed the bars on the 2021 model for a wider bar so it’s definitely an owner feedback.  

I found a wider, lower, straighter bar gave much better control and you lean forward more putting more weight over the front wheel. It changes your ride position from very upright to a little more aggressive/sporty. 

It is a medium level mod if done properly to reinstall all the controls and drill 2 small holes to lock the controls in place like the stock bar. Take your time and it is a worthwhile mod that has an instant change in ride quality.

Edited by emtee07

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

Does anyone have any bar end mirror recommendations? I'm currently looking at these.

kuryakyn_phantom_bar_end_mirror_black.jp

The aggressive bar-end design of the Phantom widens rear-view visibility...

I have no experience with those particular mirrors. But from experience, I know that you get what you pay for with mirrors. cheap mirrors I've used in the past vibrated badly, rusted quickly, and the mirrors them selves would quickly get damage of the reflective coating on the backside of the glass/plastic.

CRG mirrors are highly regarded here. There are any number of threads on them. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:15 PM, emtee07 said:

Handlebar.

I found the bars far too narrow on the 07. Swap them out for something like the Protaper Henry Reeds or Carmichaels. There also different options from Renthal too. You may have to look for reviews or try and demo different bars on the bike to see which ones work for you. It is a very popular mod for the 07.

Interestingly, Yam changed the bars on the 2021 model for a wider bar so it’s definitely an owner feedback.  

I found a wider, lower, straighter bar gave much better control and you lean forward more putting more weight over the front wheel. It changes your ride position from very upright to a little more aggressive/sporty. 

It is a medium level mod if done properly to reinstall all the controls and drill 2 small holes to lock the controls in place like the stock bar. Take your time and it is a worthwhile mod that has an instant change in ride quality.

What bars do you recommend then link? I am feeling like I have chicken wings all tucked in with the narrow bars looking for slightly wider slightly straighter.

• 4 weeks later...
BruceWayne911

Can anyone recommend a phone mount set-up for the MT-07? I've bought numerous parts but nothing is compatible or the right size.

Edited by BruceWayne911
Wrong info

I'm very happy with my Quadlock.  Have them mounted on both of my bikes.  Definitely recommend getting the vibration damper too. I've killed two cameras on my iPhone XR.  Most likely while mounted to my 400cc Thumper, but still worth the extra insurance on any bike.

• Like 1

BruceWayne911
On 7/26/2021 at 1:17 PM, Nealsmo said:

I'm very happy with my Quadlock.  Have them mounted on both of my bikes.  Definitely recommend getting the vibration damper too. I've killed two cameras on my iPhone XR.  Most likely while mounted to my 400cc Thumper, but still worth the extra insurance on any bike.

Can you show me a picture of your setup? What product did you buy RAM or Rokform? There's not alot of room on the MT-07 handlebars.

BruceWayne911

Can someone show me a properly assembled CRG internal adapter for the MT-07? Do you need all the pieces?

13 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

Can someone show me a properly assembled CRG internal adapter for the MT-07? Do you need all the pieces?

Here's a video of a guy installing the CRG mirrors.  I'm not sure I'd be happy getting rid of the stock heavy steel weights/sliders.

After researching it for a while, I went with the solid stainless Rhino Moto adapter that has the 7/8" diameter section and allows you to use any bar-end mirror made for that diameter, even if the mirror has a clamp that doesn't come apart and wont go over the flange if there is one.  The Rhino adapter is just a threaded plug that replaces the stock bar-end slider/weight.

Edited by Triple Jim

On 4/25/2021 at 2:33 AM, D.A. said:

If your goal is to make the MT-07 louder, drill some holes in the muffler. It costs nothing.

Doesn’t this make it require a tune as well? Or doesn’t it hurt performance with the back pressure change?

I’m completely new to this so genuinely asking. 

• Like 1

It's interesting that since I've put a couple thousand miles on my stock MT-07 I've had several people I don't know approach me to tell me how they liked the fact that it's very quiet.  Don't get the idea that everyone who hears your louder-than-stock exhaust system is in awe of the powerful sound.  

• Like 4

On 7/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, 850MT07 said:

Doesn’t this make it require a tune as well?

In my experience, drilling holes in a muffler doesn’t cause any noticeable difference in performance. But then again, I’ve never run a bike on a dyno, drilled the holes, then gotten back on the dyno to verify the results. Also, I never tried it with my FZ since I was happy with its sound from the get-go. 

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

Can you show me a picture of your setup? What product did you buy RAM or Rokform? There's not alot of room on the MT-07 handlebars.

C2AFD877-6ABF-44C0-9422-02A058C3F9C0.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
BruceWayne911

I finally finished all my mods except for the suspension. I was initially disappointed with the Akra titanium/carbon exhaust with the baffle in. It sounded like the stock exhaust. After removing the db killer and getting a retune the sound is glorious. Next year when it starts to warm up I plan on upgrading the front forks and rear shock. I notice heavy front dive when I have to apply heavy brakes.

akrapovic_exhaust_system_yamaha_fz072015

Born from racing, this stainless steel exhaust system represents the most...

shogun_frame_sliders_no_cut_white_black.

This frame slider is made of shatter-proof and abrasion-resistant...

Protect your Yamaha and allow for easy mounting on your rear stand all in...

gb_racing_fz071418_engine_cover_set_alt_

The nylon GB Racing’s Engine Cover Set quickly bolts OVER your engine...

Fork slider crash protectors add style to your bike while providing you with...

Combine your 2018-2020 MT-07 brake / running light and turn signals into...

Do away with your bulky fender and replace it with this one of a kind...

Replace your bulky stock Yamaha front signals with low profile superbright...

Fix your bike's hyperflash or no flash problem with an easy to install, direct...

Improve your riding experience, gain some grip, and protect your MT-07...

crg_arrow_bar_end_mirror.jpg

These stylish aluminum mirrors offer a multi-position mounting system and...

crg_billet_internal_adaptor_for_crg_bar_

Don’t have enough exposed bar to secure one of CRG’s sweet bar end...

Edited by BruceWayne911

nozeitgeist1800

dope setup so far, good choice on the crg mirrors. theyre too expensive, but you get so much more view of whats behind you, plus they look soooooo much better than stock bunny ears. how comfortable have you found the stock seat? i apologize for weird question, but you mentioned that you were around 300 lbs, so im curious if youve had any issues with it? i dont know a good way to ask that, im sorry, definitely dont mean to come off as an ass, im just genuinely curious. im around 200 and it only took me a couple hundred miles of riding to decide that it needed to go, immediately. also, the r6 throttle tube mod is too good. i originally didnt like the throttle, actually bought a throttle tamer to ease it up a bit, but ended up leaning into it after a while and swapping to the r6, threw the throttle tamer in a box somewhere i think. led headlight bulb / running light bulbs are also a really nice upgrade and really easy to do

Edited by nozeitgeist1800
  • Like 1

BruceWayne911
6 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

dope setup so far, good choice on the crg mirrors. theyre too expensive, but you get so much more view of whats behind you, plus they look soooooo much better than stock bunny ears. how comfortable have you found the stock seat? i apologize for weird question, but you mentioned that you were around 300 lbs, so im curious if youve had any issues with it? i dont know a good way to ask that, im sorry, definitely dont mean to come off as an ass, im just genuinely curious. im around 200 and it only took me a couple hundred miles of riding to decide that it needed to go, immediately. also, the r6 throttle tube mod is too good. i originally didnt like the throttle, actually bought a throttle tamer to ease it up a bit, but ended up leaning into it after a while and swapping to the r6, threw the throttle tamer in a box somewhere i think. led headlight bulb / running light bulbs are also a really nice upgrade and really easy to do

I dont have a problem with the stock seat but I'm just a weekend warrior. I usually ride once a week averaging about 90 miles. Coming up on my 1,000 miles mark soon.

Next year I'm planning on buying the Corbin seat. Life is short Indont mind spending the extra cash to get the most enjoyment outta the bike.

6 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

I'm about 250 and have done about 700 miles on the stock seat and I've had enough! lol I just put the Corbin seat on and it's so much better! would def recommend to anyone who finds the stock seat uncomfortable. yours looks good :)

nozeitgeist1800

The seat, the exhaust, and the map from 2wdw completely changed the feel of the bike for me. It's so much more fun than it already was, I almost can't be trusted on it anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1