The MT-07 Forum

DIY Dashboard Relocation

RaceTrec

Intro

Hello!

This is my first post on FZ-07! Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts!

I am on my second MT-07 now and have gone for a super sporty style. The riding position is all the way at the back of the seat because of the mods (mainly the clip ons). I love tuning and electronics and have been wanting to do something about my airbox for a while. So I decided to purchase myself a 3D printer to hopefully create my own unrestricted airbox this summer. But in the meantime, as a first ever 3D printing project I decided to create a dash relocation bracket. This is for the 2014 - 2017 model.

I know I am not the first, but I do think I am the first to post dimensions, final files (for you to get your own for very cheap, even if you don't have a 3D printer) and general development.

Reason

There are many reasons you might want to move it out the way. One of my main reasons is visibility. As I have a race riding position (see images). The dashboard obscures big parts of the visibility in high speeds (220+ km/h primarily).

HYTkMhY.jpg

(Riding position when not in a tuck)

mX6ucr6.jpg

(GoPro visibility in a full tuck at 231 km/h)

0QAQILY.jpg

(GoPro mounted on the above photo as seen in this photo)

As you can see, here I am riding in a full tuck at 231 km/h. The camera is mounted on my chin.

In my situation, it’s a bigger issue than stock because I run a steering damper which forces me to raise the dashboard up from the stock position if I wish to use the default mounting position.

oTlRE2J.jpg

Development

I started by taking measurements of my bike.

ISYFtX3.jpgl67d1jj.jpgr98ZwdG.jpg

I then printed my first proof of concept to make the holes align, the design was made in Fusion360.

6CTMip4.jpg

Once done I moved through many iterations of changing the height, general design, screw hole sizes and more. I had never before designed anything in CAD or 3D printed anything before. So this was all new to me. I doubt my design techniques are optimal, but I would be happy to call it adequate.

xclI8UE.jpg

Result

After a while, I ended up with this result which I am super happy with.

bjRltQC.png

AcA6QVP.jpg

Vj8U3Jn.jpg

Uo7QSUD.jpg

(Full tuck with new dashboard location)

Is this really durable?

YES!!

It really is. Don’t believe me? I printed mine with the Prusa “Superdraft” settings (low quality but faster prints) and only 15% infill, then I exposed it to some... Well.. Intense riding.

See video:

Want your own?

Do you want to do this to your bike? Since this is my first post, I will be so kind to provide you with all the files you need to get this sorted. If you have a 3D printer, just download my STL files and happy printing! If you don't, then you can use a cloud 3D printing service to get it printed for very cheap (~20 USD with Craftcloud3d.com).

Download it here.

If you have any questions, please do reach out!

- RaceTrec

• Like 5

• Global Moderator

Clever, welcome to our little thing, you fit right in amigo. Did not know about using 3rd party printer services, that's let's everybody in the 3D mfg game.

If you haven't posted yourself in new members, please make yourself known over there, more members will know you have arrived, with a 3D bang

• Like 1

I've already relocated my dash and managed it to let it fit under the wind screen. It was dealing with milimeters in every direction, think I will never touch it again :D But your piece looks also very nice, I would try it when in need.

(your thingiverse link gives a 404 error at the moment)

1 hour ago, ElGonzales said:

I've already relocated my dash and managed it to let it fit under the wind screen. It was dealing with milimeters in every direction, think I will never touch it again :D But your piece looks also very nice, I would try it when in need.

(your thingiverse link gives a 404 error at the moment)

Thanks!

And also, yeah. I have to wait 24 hours for me to make my model public because my Thingiverse account is new.

What sort of windshield do you have?

4 hours ago, RaceTrec said:

What sort of windshield do you have?

It's the MRA Racing windscreen. I had to rise the mounting brackets ~10mm.

Welcome to the forum.

I also relocated mine, its an awesome project.... took me three goes till i got it to where i wanted it.

l5OkARz.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve777 said:

Welcome to the forum.

I also relocated mine, its an awesome project.... took me three goes till i got it to where i wanted it.

l5OkARz.jpg

Damn..

That looks dope. I will probably have to do something like that for mine also.

But I think my next project before I redesign the dashboard is to redesign my whole airbox. But perhaps after that I will get back to this project and do something more aesthetically pleasing.

Yours is 3D printed aswell?

Thanks mate, yeah 3D printed.

Would love to see what you come up with for the Air box, that’s something I haven’t even thought about…..

4 minutes ago, Steve777 said:

Thanks mate, yeah 3D printed.

Would love to see what you come up with for the Air box, that’s something I haven’t even thought about…..

Well, a tad off topic. But I love this stuff so anyways:

The MT-07's are CRAZY restricted in airflow (Stock they get about 68 hp on the wheel). If you install high airflow filters you bump that up quite a lot. But wher the real difference comes in is when you actually remove the airbox entierly and just put on Cone Filters. That will give you 80 horses on the rear tire. We are talking a MT-07 that can compete with a MT-09. I am half way there right now.

My MT-07 has higher top speed than a stock MT-09 today, and I want to get closer in acceleration aswell. So my current problem is that I want more than 80 horses and I want to be able to ride in the rain. My hope is to create an airbox that snorkles air from the fron to create high pressure and give the bike a TON of air, and also being able to withstand rain (which cone filters won't).

But hey, I'm 1 week into CAD and 3D printing. Still learning. I have already done a ton of electronics for my future airbox (like airflow sensing and pressure sensing, electronics is also something I am much better at) so that I can hopefully make this bike a show and a half. I will be sure to share more once the project is further along.

Edited by RaceTrec
  • Like 2

Mmmmm interesting, maybe I should look into something better than stock , something straight off the shelf would be ideal.

Good luck with the project though, keep us updated, it’s interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

LSL Motoradtechnik in Germany makes a bolt-on instrument relocation kit for the FZ/MT-07 (comes with Fatbar mounts that I didn’t use - photos shown are with stock handlebars and aftermarket turn-signals). Here in the USA, you can buy the parts from Spiegler USA.

7d3ba83ef1353501268d769a7cba562ee9145a9c

X-Bar clamps for 28.6 mm LSL handlebars. Not for use with the original handlebar!fits the...

FA7202F1-7434-4905-82AE-C96D7C99DBEA.jpeg

FC1AAC9D-9CD8-4C4E-AC5D-861DD82E3104.jpeg

8ED9944F-DB34-4F60-BBB7-2E900B763ECC.jpeg

I was tortured by the Japanese during the war, Jack. Not a pretty story. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.