The MT-07 Forum

I Fell With My Bike

XATTILAX

Ok so one of the parts I have to replace is the cover housing for the water pump because of the scrape on it! So I found the part for 32$ on partzilla! The question is how do I go through with this procedure do I have to drain any fluids? Or can I just take the bolts out change it to a new one and I’m good ? Or what do you guys recommend if it’s to complicated should I just sand it smooth and spray paint it ? If I do spray paint it what spray paint should I use ? 

85E687C5-D37C-496E-AECC-C20821890A3D.jpeg

3 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

...if it’s to complicated should I just sand it smooth and spray paint it ?

Did you figure out where your bike is leaking fluid? If it's leaking from the water pump housing (the swirly-shaped part you scratched and circled) then the housing needs to be replaced. That requires draining the coolant out of the bike. If you go that route, you should technically also replace the rubber gasket on the housing and the rubber O-rings on the ends of the two black metal pipes that feed into the housing. Those gaskets are supposed to be lubricated with lithium soap-based grease when reinstalled, so you'll need some of that. And some of the bolts require blue Loctite. You're also supposed to replace the copper gasket on the coolant drain bolt whenever you remove it.

When you get into jobs this complicated, you really ought to have a factory service manual at your disposal so you know what goes where, what gets Loctite, what gets greased and perhaps most important, so you know how much torque to use on the various fasteners. It is SUPER-easy to over-torque bolts on a motorcycle and strip the threads (on the bolts themselves and in the engine cases, etc.) and once you do, you're pretty much hosed. So it's best if you don't attempt these kinds of tasks without knowing the pertinent info first.

This warning applies to replacing the brake pedal, too: having a factory service manual will show you how everything fits together, what torque values to use, where to use grease, where to use Loctite and how to re-adjust your rear master cylinder and brake light switch since there's a strong possibility they will need adjusting after you reinstall them. (Mine did!)

All of that being said, if your water pump housing is not leaking, you're better off leaving everything in place, lightly sanding the scratched spot, then either touching it up with a paint brush or taping off everything surrounding the scrape and spray painting it with a rattle can. Paint-wise, just go to Walmart (or similar) and buy a can of high temp automotive primer and a can of flat black high temp automotive paint, like the ones in the links below.

One last suggestion: perhaps the best option is to leave the bike as-is and come clean with your dad about what happened!

b75dc716-2a1c-4442-bd03-d2081810c398_1.1

Free 2-day shipping on qualified orders over $35. Buy Black, Rust-Oleum Automotive High Heat Protective Enamel Flat Spray...

4cb94b2d-e91d-46ed-a64b-414474620e84.0a0

Free 2-day shipping. Buy 249340 Automotive High Heat Primer Spray Paint, 12 oz, Gray at Walmart.com

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, D.A. said:

Did you figure out where your bike is leaking fluid? If it's leaking from the water pump housing (the swirly-shaped part you scratched and circled) then the housing needs to be replaced. That requires draining the coolant out of the bike. If you go that route, you should technically also replace the rubber gasket on the housing and the rubber O-rings on the ends of the two black metal pipes that feed into the housing. Those gaskets are supposed to be lubricated with lithium soap-based grease when reinstalled, so you'll need some of that. And some of the bolts require blue Loctite. You're also supposed to replace the copper gasket on the coolant drain bolt whenever you remove it.

When you get into jobs this complicated, you really ought to have a factory service manual at your disposal so you know what goes where, what gets Loctite, what gets greased and perhaps most important, so you know how much torque to use on the various fasteners. It is SUPER-easy to over-torque bolts on a motorcycle and strip the threads (on the bolts themselves and in the engine cases, etc.) and once you do, you're pretty much hosed. So it's best if you don't attempt these kinds of tasks without knowing the pertinent info first.

This warning applies to replacing the brake pedal, too: having a factory service manual will show you how everything fits together, what torque values to use, where to use grease, where to use Loctite and how to re-adjust your rear master cylinder and brake light switch since there's a strong possibility they will need adjusting after you reinstall them. (Mine did!)

All of that being said, if your water pump housing is not leaking, you're better off leaving everything in place, lightly sanding the scratched spot, then either touching it up with a paint brush or taping off everything surrounding the scrape and spray painting it with a rattle can. Paint-wise, just go to Walmart (or similar) and buy a can of high temp automotive primer and a can of flat black high temp automotive paint, like the ones in the links below.

One last suggestion: perhaps the best option is to leave the bike as-is and come clean with your dad about what happened!

Free 2-day shipping on qualified orders over $35. Buy Black, Rust-Oleum Automotive High Heat Protective Enamel Flat Spray...

Free 2-day shipping. Buy 249340 Automotive High Heat Primer Spray Paint, 12 oz, Gray at Walmart.com

I would love to tell my dad but he is already stressed with his mother in Europe because he needs to bring her here but they took the temporary visas away because of covid so it’s hard to bring her here to the US! Just don’t want to stress him out so I’m going to keep it a secret! Also do you know if that color matches the exact black on that area ? 

Dennis.Halmstad

Honestly I think you should tell your dad in a very relaxed way.

Then you don't have to stress the repairs with the risk of doing something wrong.

If your honest he wont be mad, but if he manages to find it out later.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dennis.Halmstad said:

Honestly I think you should tell your dad in a very relaxed way.

Then you don't have to stress the repairs with the risk of doing something wrong.

If your honest he wont be mad, but if he manages to find it out later.......

To be honest i probably plan on telling him in like 5-10 years and having a good laugh out of it! Cause knowing his personality he would be pissed if i tell him now and hed be upset with me. If i tell him a few years from now wed have a good laugh!

2 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

I would love to tell my dad but he is already stressed with his mother in Europe because he needs to bring her here but they took the temporary visas away because of covid so it’s hard to bring her here to the US! Just don’t want to stress him out so I’m going to keep it a secret! Also do you know if that color matches the exact black on that area ? 

There is another option...I hate to tell you to lie, but fix the major items (the things that look like speed was involved) and tell him you were sitting on it and fell over.

Now this is a gamble as an experience rider may tell - what you didn't fix could not have broken from a simple tip over.

You should have started to order the parts; even if you don't fix it in time, your dad will be happy you have the parts ready.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, D.A. said:

Is the primer needed as well?

9 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

... do you know if that color matches the exact black on that area ?

No, Rustoleum black it will not be an exact match. It will be close enough to disguise that small scrape but if somebody examines it closely, they will be able to tell it was fixed. 

I have no idea what color Yamaha used to paint that particular part. To the best of my knowledge, they don’t publish info like that.

And yes, if you’re painting bare metal, you should prime first if you want the black paint to adhere properly. If you just want a quick, temporary fix, you can forgo the primer. 

For that matter, you could color the area in with a black Sharpie. Sharpie black is very glossy but it would make the damage less noticeable than it is now. 

If perfection is the goal, you’ll need to replace the part. 

Edited by D.A.

On 4/26/2021 at 7:27 AM, XATTILAX said:

I would love to tell my dad but he is already stressed with his mother in Europe ... Just don’t want to stress him out so I’m going to keep it a secret!

We're not fools!

Everyone reading this thread understands you disobeyed your dad and don't want to get punished for it and that is your primary motivation for covering up your mistake. I suspect most of us found ourselves in similar situations when we were teenagers. I know I did!

We also understand how getting a motorcycle but not being able to ride it would be like torture. Any normal person would be fighting the temptation to take it out for a quick test drive. Your dad should understand that too.

It's not my place to lecture you but part of being an adult is taking responsibility for your actions. If my son disobeyed me the way you did, I would be pissed. But if he lied to me, went to great lengths to hide it and I later found out – if he betrayed the trust I had placed in him – I would not just be pissed, I would be deeply hurt. I would feel like I had done a lousy job as a father.

It might simply be time for you to man-up, show your dad some respect and accept the consequences of your actions.

(Or woman-up if that be the case!)

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 6

D.A. is speaking wisdom. I would take his advice to heart. From someone who has a strained relationship with his father, just level with your Dad. It's not the type of relationship that needs secrets involved. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, XATTILAX said:
On 4/26/2021 at 2:56 AM, D.A. said:

Ok so im going to be taking the rear brake lever out on friday so i can paint the 2 scrapped points and than ill install the new lever next week is there any specific things i should watch for and what do you mean by adjust the master cylinder ? Also which loctite should i use afterwards? Also where can i see an online version of the factory manual so i can see a diagram with the instructions?

• Premium Member
cornerslider

This falls under the heading: "been-there-done-that".... When I was 15 years old (I'm 52 now), I skipped school, and thought it was a good idea to take my Dads' Honda Nighthawk out for a ride. I had a BLAST!!!! I didn't wreck it, but he still busted me. He sold it 2 weeks later.... I knew it was because of my poor choices that he sold it. I always felt guilty about it. About ten years ago, I tracked down a low mileage Honda Nighthawk of the same year. I bought it & restored for him. I gave it to him for Christmas that year. He actually teared up a bit. We still go on rides together, but not sure how many more years he'll be able to ride? (he's 71 years old now). Ironically, he still won't tell me how he "busted" me 🤣.... We can laugh about it now. My best advise is to come-clean with your Dad. It looks like he takes great pride in  his bike based on the pics. If you do a "half-assed" job, you will most likely get busted just like I did.... Your Dad will respect you more if you come-clean. You can even show him this post 😃-

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

2 hours ago, cornerslider said:

This falls under the heading: "been-there-done-that".... When I was 15 years old (I'm 52 now), I skipped school, and thought it was a good idea to take my Dads' Honda Nighthawk out for a ride. I had a BLAST!!!! I didn't wreck it, but he still busted me. He sold it 2 weeks later.... I knew it was because of my poor choices that he sold it. I always felt guilty about it. About ten years ago, I tracked down a low mileage Honda Nighthawk of the same year. I bought it & restored for him. I gave it to him for Christmas that year. He actually teared up a bit. We still go on rides together, but not sure how many more years he'll be able to ride? (he's 71 years old now). Ironically, he still won't tell me how he "busted" me 🤣.... We can laugh about it now. My best advise is to come-clean with your Dad. It looks like he takes great pride in  his bike based on the pics. If you do a "half-assed" job, you will most likely get busted just like I did.... Your Dad will respect you more if you come-clean. You can even show him this post 😃-

It’s actually my bike he just bought it for me he rides a Harley Davison 2003 100th anniversary vrod! He bought it for me as a first bike he said it would be to much power for me but I said I’ll learn to control it I eventually will I’m going to go to a motorcycle school for a week and than take an msf coarse until after that I won’t ever ride it again! I just want to fix up all the messed up parts at all and with all the hard stuff going on with his mom Right now and him in Europe it’s just not a good time to stress him out more ! So I’m going to fix it up nicely ! A few years from now I’m going to tell him and we are going to have a big laugh about it together ! 

• Premium Member
On 4/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, D.A. said:

Any normal person would be fighting the temptation to take it out for a quick test drive.

that never ends well...

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:56 AM, D.A. said:

Im going to be painting the parts friday is it okay if i remove the brake lever and leave it out until the new one comes in 2 weeks. Also i found a online service manual but cant seem to find anything about the rear brake lever! 

1 minute ago, Jerzee said:

Good as new. Stop stressing over this, and enjoy the bike. ;)

Thx ! next thing is the new brake levers coming in tomorrow than I’m debating weather on not I should get the ecu flashed! I got a full akropovic titanium exhaust ! So not 100% sure if the ecu flash is effective 

• Like 1