The MT-07 Forum

New jacket

jake

• Premium Member

Picked up a Icon Device black leather jacket for $229 (425-475 original price)  on close out. Good time of the year to get some nice gear for low prices.
I'm going to be looking for a new Helmet also so if any one has any advice on a Helmet that is good for long as hell commutes let me know.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

The Lazer Monaco Carbon helmet is a great helmet. I don't know how much you're willing to spend but this is normally a $500-$600 helmet down to $299 on Revzilla. Photochromatic face shield, carbon fiber shell, modular design, all the good stuff.

I would go with the Arai Signet-Q or RX-Q depending on the shape of your head. I know it sounds funny but they are for different shaped heads. I have the Signet-Q and commute 150 miles per day and it is a very comfortable helmet. It can get a bit noisy around 90mph...

Waiting for my Icon Airmada to show up. I read more reviews than I can count, and couldn't find one consistent complaint.

Bought a Shoei Quest at discount in fall 2013. BIG mistake. It's very noisy on a naked bike. My previous helmet was an Arai Vector. Bought a new helmet last summer to replace the Quest. I had the Arai Vector 2 int the target. But end up with Shoei GT-Air. Very comfortable and quiet. But expensive when in regular price.

The important thing is to know your head shape and try several models.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

We have to be very careful when deciding what helmet we should wear.
We drive an FZ-07. By nature, this bike gives you an upright position. So the helmet shape has to be different than riding a crotch rocket.
If you wear a crotch rocket helmet, chances are the helmet is going to want to lift off your face when riding the 07 at 70 mph. Why? because those helmets are meant for a leaning position riding. Manufacturers work very hard to make those helmets very aerodynamic for a leaning position. They might not work for our upright position.
In our case, we might want to look at touring helmets vs just helmets.
check this out:
http://www.revzilla.com/touring-helmets

Another reason I went with the Airmada. The chin is much lower than a typical helmet, and I lean just a bit forward when riding.

• Premium Member

My head started to hurt looking at all the helmets and gear I ended up cleaning up my old HJC AC-12 (had it for drag racing) and picking up a new visor. I figure if I don't like it I'll get a new one. :)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
My head started to hurt looking at all the helmets and gear I ended up cleaning up my old HJC AC-12 (had it for drag racing) and picking up a new visor. I figure if I don't like it I'll get a new one. :)
As long as it isn't too old. Helmets have a shelf life, generally five years I think.

Illegitimi non carborundum

I am in exactly the same situation. Too many helmets to choose from. I have to hang on the old one as much as I can. Sorry hippiebikerchick, but the 5 years expiration is a myth, even manufacturers have not come up with any data nor explanations.

I believe what she's referring to is the 5 year warranty that most helmet brands offer. Older helmets which were mainly padded with high density Styrofoam and didn't have near the venting of modern helmets would break down over time due to trapped moisture in the helmet.

• Premium Member

Yeah I don't buy the 5 year life at all as long as you didn't abuse the helmet or leave it on your back porch for a few years helmets can last for a long time IMO. I see HJC has a 3 year warranty. My helmet is in great shape over all and its been inside most of its life. Heck I probably only used it a dozen times since I bought it.

Man this is total torture for me to have to wait till the spring to pick up the Ride. :(
EDIT...
Ok so I did look around more about the 5 year deal on helmets and I changed my mind a little. Looks like there is no real testing on a 5 year old helmet but I tend to agree with the break down of the material over time just not so sure when that is

Jake,
If you take the helmet liner out of the helmet and see powery substace on the multi-density foam on on other parts of the helmet, then it is starting to break down and is probably not to safe.
Allan

• Premium Member
Waiting for my Icon Airmada to show up. I read more reviews than I can count, and couldn't find one consistent complaint.

Got one about a month ago.. love it, would recommend it to anyone in the market. Buy an extra set of pivot plates for $10. You'll eventually need them.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Also the 5 year thing is for a few reasons. General consensus is that roughly every 5 years helmet manufacturers have improved designs, safety features and materials to the point your 5 year old helmet is becoming antiquated.

Additionally the synthetic materials used in construction can, do and will lose integrity over time. Petroleum fumes, cleaners, cosmetics, UV exposure and shock events (impacts) degrade the integrity of the equipment over time. To such a point that it can no longer be guaranteed to achieve the claims or criterion of the manufacturer that it met when new.

Basically an old helmet can be a gamble, based on it's condition. Without a physical test, one would simply not know if it was "still good enough" or "too far gone".

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Jake, If you take the helmet liner out of the helmet and see powery substace on the multi-density foam on on other parts of the helmet, then it is starting to break down and is probably not to safe.
Allan
Yeah I'm with you on that, I took it all apart a few days ago the foam looks perfect to me. 
I'm going to use it for a while and if its too noise or hurts my head I'll look into another one.

Thanks for all the advice all

• Premium Member

Got the Jacket I think its killer, picked up a pair of Icon glove with some blue to match the bike also.

IMO the Device jacket is a Quality product and I would recommend it. I picked up a 2X using the size guide it fits almost perfect. I have a little longer torso and it hangs down just the right amount over my waist line. (I'm 5'10) just for reference.

We have to be very careful when deciding what helmet we should wear. We drive an FZ-07. By nature, this bike gives you an upright position. So the helmet shape has to be different than riding a crotch rocket.
If you wear a crotch rocket helmet, chances are the helmet is going to want to lift off your face when riding the 07 at 70 mph. Why? because those helmets are meant for a leaning position riding. Manufacturers work very hard to make those helmets very aerodynamic for a leaning position. They might not work for our upright position.
In our case, we might want to look at touring helmets vs just helmets.
check this out:
http://www.revzilla.com/touring-helmets
Ive got the shoei RF-1200 & i dont see it listed here,  but there is the RF-1100 wich is suposed to be the old version of the 1200  is this right?

• Premium Member
Ive got the shoei RF-1200 & i dont see it listed here,  but there is the RF-1100 wich is suposed to be the old version of the 1200  is this right?
Yes its the updated model, And I was told by several people just to get the Shoei.

Yes its the updated model, And I was told by several people just to get the Shoei.

I got the new RF-1200. Superb helmet.  

• Premium Member

Picked up the Icon striker shin guards. I was looking hard at pants but I like the idea being able to ware what I want and have the protection.

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

Found this tidbit:

According to Web Bike World and the Snell Foundation:

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Link Here:  Senll Foundation FAQ

Keep in mind, these are people who manufacture and sell helmets for a living.  Take it for what it is, I'm not really sure of the research behind these conclusions.  

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

Found this tidbit: 
Keep in mind, these are people who manufacture and sell helmets for a living.  Take it for what it is, I'm not really sure of the research behind these conclusions.  
And that's the general mystery, They all came up with that 5 years, which is understandable if you wear your helmet EVERYDAY for commuting, but should be very different if you only use it a few times during the summer season. There are ABSOLUTELY NO DATA backing up their 5 years theory.
They are even telling us parts of the helmet deteriorates with time, which I can accept, but again, they have no data showing a 1 year, 2 years, 3, 5, 10 years deterioration. So how did they came up with that 5 years?
My conclusion is, its just marketing.
Replace your helmet when YOU know it needs to be replaced, that's a lot more scientific than marketing.

Archived