The MT-07 Forum

It's Either the FZ-07 or the FZ-09

lbv

Hi everyone .. just joined 'cause I think the FZ-07 may be my next bike.
Now have Kawi Vulcan 900 cruiser that weighs 600 lbs+ and does not like turning. Took my course in Sep and am a newbie for sure (though not in age) but every time I go out I feel better than I did the time before.
I was seriously thinking of getting the FZ-09 as I want something more flickable and being 5'7" and 170 lbs 400 lbs is way more maneuverable than 600. :)
But I keep reading that the FZ-09 is not a bike for someone of my limited experience ... sooo, after extensive online research on the FZ-07 I think it'll now be my bike come spring.
And with an Akrapovic exhaust it sounds like my v-twin!! Love it! See below.
So anyone come from a Vulcan/cruiser or test ride the FZ-09 that can offer their insight ... I'll test ride in the spring for sure but at $1,700 cheaper it's got another thing going for it.
Thank!

Current ride = 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom

• Global Moderator

Welcome @lbv. Great thet you have joined us. We need more Canadians. Where are you from?
I can't help you with the cruise/FZ comparo, but I bought in June and I loved every minute of it. It's too cold now so it is in hibernation but I can't wait until it is spring again. What I like about the bike is the weight (or lack of it) and the torque. I briefly considered an 09 but I have no regrets. The FZ07 is an amazing machine, it does everything you would want and more. The there is the better fuel economy, lower insurance rates and to be honest, I think it better looking. I am sure the the FZ09 is more bike, but I don't more, this is exactly what I have been looking for. For me it was a no brainer.

Good luck deciding.

Sitting on the FZ-09 didn't didn't feel as good as the FZ-07! The 07 has great power, much better sorted fueling and suspension, and wait till you see how easy it is on fuel!!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome ibv! I can offer some input, I have a 550+ pound cruiser and an FZ07. My hubs has an FZ09 which I have ridden a little. I can't say which FZ is more comfortable but the riding position on the 07 is more newbie friendly. The bars are a bit higher and closer to you and the pegs are farther forward. Both bikes have plenty of power and can rip your arms out of their sockets. If you can keep riding during the winter and improving your skills you should be ready by springtime for one of these. After riding your cruiser, you will be amazed at how flickable these bikes are! As a newer rider the 09 will probably really scare you and the 07 will be perfect.

Illegitimi non carborundum

My previous bike was a 96 Vulcan 800. When I took the FZ-07 out for a test ride I was amazed how much higher I was sitting on the bike compared to the Vulcan. With the Vulcan I had to be patient because going down the highway if I twisted the throttle I had to wait forever for the bike to speed up. With the Fz-07 at highway speeds I would give a quick twist and all of sudden I am going 20 -25 mph faster then than traffic. I can flick the bike around so much easier than the Vulcan. Also the FZ-07 can cruise doing 70 mph and can easily hit 85-90mph with no issue. On the Vulcan 75-80 and the bike sounded like the engine was just about to exploded and my hands would go numb after 30-45 minutes.  Now on the FZ-07 at those speeds my hands are fine but my bottom end will start to hurt after a while.

I was looking at the FZ-09 at first but since I was just going to use this bike for getting to work and back through city traffic. I didn't need the extra power from the FZ-09. After watching a lot of Youtube vidoes of people riding both bikes, plus the better gas mileage, and lower price. I decided on the FZ-07 and  I enjoy this bike so much more than the Vulcan 800 I had before.

Thx for the warm welcome and suggestions, esp andastyr who came from a cruiser.

I hear ya on the comments re the highway, lol.

I'm from Brampton, ON so the Vulcan is on a trickle and covered in the garage for the next 5 months or so (god why do I live up here? ).

For the gal who has an 07 & an 09 in the household, I thought I read that the 09 is more upright for seating position but I've recently read that it's not. Can you pls confirm? I'm on my phone via Tapatalk so can't go back and re-read what you said ... Cheers!

My opinion is pretty basic:

Ditch the VN-800 for ANY bike that is remotely sporty (AKA: smaller and lighter) and learn the basics about riding a motorcycle.
I would rather be riding a DR-250ES dual-sport bike than a lead sled cruiser in my early days of riding.
In fact, I believe you will learn more quickly on a smaller and lighter bike.

As for FZ-07 vs. FZ-09:

I test rode both within an hour of each other.
The FZ-07 felt light, thin, maneuverable, and the engine had a great feel, sound, and power delivery that made perfect sense for sport riding on back roads.
The FZ-09, by comparison, actually felt unexciting to me.
It had more horsepower, but that seemed it's only advantage, and that failed to impress like the whole package of the FZ-07 did.

The ergonomics of the 2 bikes is almost the same. The lean is 3° for the Fz-09. For the 07, it's 11°. I owned a FZ-07. Demo ride the 09 last fall. The difference for the seating position is very similar. Love the sound of the triple. 8D

But i don't need all that power. Too easy to save the wear of the front wheel. The 07 is also capable of power wheelie. You just have to want it to do it. The 09 has a mind of its own.  lol :D. I'm not sure that police officer would take that for excuse ::)

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Oh Canada ! welcome fellow Canadian !
I all depends on what type of riding you want to do. A crusier is more of a relax ride, slow in corner, etc.
The FZ-07 - 09 types of bikes are corner eater. If you want to have fun in the twistees, these are the bikes to have.
Riding a motorcycle is not for everyone. Some get the hang of it very fast while others struggle there whole career.
Have you ever rode a bike before you got your permit last september ?
The FZ-07 is less forgiving than the FZ-09. Twisting the throttle on the FZ-09 can be intimidating when you don't have the experience.
An aftermarket exhaust helps the sound of the FZ-07 but don't get me wrong, the FZ-09 sounds like a beast with its 3 cylinders.

cheers !

Merci mon ami.

I definitely knew how to ride a bicycle before hand and am athletic so no concerns there.

I come from a bit of a performance car background having been on several track days at Mosport, Shannonville, & Dunnville so yes I love corners. Having had to sell my "toy" muscle car due to a greedy ex-wife I bought a motorcycle wanting that V8 rumble I so love and the ability to go fast and have fun when safe conditions warranted it.

Funny thing is the Vulcan sounds awesome when you're standing & watching someone else ride it away ... from the seat, it's not the same.

And it's not fast at all ... for me. And it doesn't like cornering although I've had fun on long sweepers.

It's more of the type of bike for someone my age (turned 50 this year) and having a bit of a bad back I don't want to be hunched over too much.

So when I read about the FZ's from Yamaha with their qualities I could see myself riding 1 of those.

The only way I'll be able to decide for me alone is to ride both FZ's ... will let you all know come spring!

Nice lbv !
oh man, my favorite track of all is Mosport, old school track...but never been there.
I'm close to 50 y.o. too but I can't seem to find myself riding a custom bike yet even after riding for close to 30 years, they feel too much like riding an old '70s car with no handling. Sure they have good low rpm torque but that's it, they're still pretty slow.
Wise choice to test ride both FZ's to make the right decision.

• Premium Member

I was looking at the FZ-09 also. Its not that much more for more everything. But for me to sell it to the wife it was the MPG of the 07. From all the videos I've watched the 09 has a few bad points which I'm sure comparing it to a bike that cost much more is more pronounced.

Good luck

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Well the other option I have is to stick with the Vulcan for another year and hope that Yamaha fixes the 09's suspension and loses that ugly gold front fork and replaces it with what Europe gets (silver).

I'd get another year of experience under my belt for the 09.

I'll have to make that decision too in the spring but if the 07 is better than the 09 for me then it's a moot point ... 07 here I come!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
For the gal who has an 07 & an 09 in the household, I thought I read that the 09 is more upright for seating position but I've recently read that it's not. Can you pls confirm? I'm on my phone via Tapatalk so can't go back and re-read what you said ... Cheers!

I found this diagram for comparison: 

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/Carol_Hauptman_Gluck/20140630FZ07triangle_zps1e0ce470.jpg

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

That's a cool website! If I were home I would go out there right now and do a side by side comparison but that'll have to wait.

I have a FZ-09. I think that the FZ-07 is a bit more refined and comfortable. Plenty of power.

The FZ-09 is a hooligan bike for me. I have it tweaked and it rips. Corners nicely and loves to wheelie. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds stock, mine is probably a bit faster now.

They are both awesome bikes but the fZ-07 gets much better MPG.

That's a cool website! If I were home I would go out there right now and do a side by side comparison but that'll have to wait.
Was hoping you'd volunteer that. :D 

I have a FZ-09. I think that the FZ-07 is a bit more refined and comfortable. Plenty of power.  
The FZ-09 is a hooligan bike for me. I have it tweaked and it rips. Corners nicely and loves to wheelie. 0-60 in 2.7 seconds stock, mine is probably a bit faster now.

Wow. 2.7 sec. That's insane and quicker than a GT-R or anything on 4 wheels that I know of. Thx for chiming in! 

On a side note, the weather here was warm for this time of year at 14C (upper 50's F) and I took the Vulcan off it's trickle-charger and out from under the cover and I almost got goosebumps when I saw it ... nice-looking bike.

Took it out for a 90 min ride ... after about an hour, I approached the street I was going to turn into to end the ride but I just kept going. It's a bit of a sled and hates to rev but I still love riding it.

Can only imagine if it was an FZ-07 ...

Wow. 2.7 sec. That's insane and quicker than a GT-R or anything on 4 wheels that I know of. Thx for chiming in!
the FZ-07 does it in 4 sec., try finding a car that beats that will ruin you. lol

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
On a side note, the weather here was warm for this time of year at 14C (upper 50's F) and I took the Vulcan off it's trickle-charger and out from under the cover and I almost got goosebumps when I saw it ... nice-looking bike.  
Took it out for a 90 min ride ... after about an hour, I approached the street I was going to turn into to end the ride but I just kept going. It's a bit of a sled and hates to rev but I still love riding it.

Can only imagine if it was an FZ-07 ...
Yep! That's one of the reasons I kept my cruiser. It's a totally different ride but I love them both. (and they get equal seat time from me)  ::)

Archived