The MT-07 Forum

Overfilled 1.5L Oil

Jester

Hey,

Did my first oil change and I accidentally overfilled it with 1.5L of oil, after I did the oil change I started the bike and let it run for 2 minutes, and blipped the throttle on neutral a few times. For some reason I thought that I need to look at the oil level while the engine is running, and I kept filling until it was between the maximum and minimum level. Have I caused any damage? (I also took a 2 minutes ride at 10km/h around the block)

I drained the oil, started the bike let it run for 2 minutes, then turned it off, waited a minute and checked the oil level and it’s at the maximum level but I can see a bit of clearance through the window - should I drain a little bit more? 

Edited by Jester

You didn't hurt anything.  As long as the oil isn't above the full mark it's fine.  If it were slightly over I wouldn't worry about it.  The only problem happens when an engine is so full that the moving parts start mixing it up so violently that the oil foams, and foam doesn't lubricate as well as liquid.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Thanks 1

@Triple Jim

Thanks, I drained some of the oil now when the bike at straight position and turned off, I am able to see that the oil is between the minimum and maximum level. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Jester said:

@Triple Jim

Thanks, I drained some of the oil now when the bike at straight position and turned off, I am able to see that the oil is between the minimum and maximum level. 

That is where you want it.  You are good.  The level changes real easy tipping the bike left or right.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

2 hours ago, blackout said:

That is where you want it.  You are good.  The level changes real easy tipping the bike left or right.

Thanks, I was worried I damaged the engine and for some reason I kept filling the oil until I saw it in the window (when the bike is running) lol. Oh well, lesson learned.