The MT-07 Forum

Melted stator?

Jayy

I got a really good deal on a 2019 mto7. Or so I thought. Come to find out the guy laid the bike down the morning that he was supposed to sell it to me. To make a long story short the muffler was knocked off whenever he laid the bike down he knocked a hole in the crankcase cover on the stater side and the coolant reservoir that hangs underneath the radiator was also knocked off.

I've had to buy for about 3 weeks now and I JB welded the pin size hole in the crankcase cover. I asked several people about riding the bike without the coolant reservoir and nobody could give me a straight answer on whether it would damage the bike. I have ridden the bike but not a lot although what may not seem like a lot to me maybe a lot to other people I don't know.

I have a muffler waiting at a Motorsports store here in town for me to pick up and I just picked up the coolant reservoir the crankcase cover and all the necessary accessories needed to install. I pulled off the crankcase cover and I noticed some black film on the inside of the big Chrome piece that sits in the middle. Looking at it I would call it the heart of the bike and it's what the stator actually fits into. Looking down at the crankcase cover I noticed that the stator was obviously melted. The bike still runs fine as far as I know I'm going to put the coolant reservoir in which I'm hoping was the cause of the melted stator. What I'm wondering is this and it may be a stupid question but I've already spent over $1,000 in just parts and different things for the bike since I've had it and the stator is only 100 bucks so was the cause of my melted stator due to the fact that I didn't have the coolant reservoir on the bike? Or is it another problem? Has anybody ever had a melted stator that still worked? I do AC repair work so I understand the importance of a stator. I also understand that if any of those wires cross potentially you could be dealing with a fire. I'm wondering if this still holds true with this design sitting in oil? Again all I'm really asking is was the cause of my state or melting directly linked to me not having my coolant reservoir on the bike?

Hi Jayy, welcome to the board!  What part of the stator melted?  Maybe the plastic coil forms? If the bike overheated it seems strange that the stator would sustain damage before other parts of the engine. 

I trust you got a big discount after the previous owner crashed it.

Some pics of the stator would help to identify the issue.

Some electrical checks (with a simple multimeter) of the charging system would tell you if the stators working properly.

The coolant reservoir collects coolant - when the water heats up to operating temperature it expands. I doubt this is related to the stator issue.