The MT-07 Forum

Going from my mt07 to a Z900

Jord

Firstly... I miss the pull of my 07. It’s a strange one. I don’t feel the same pull I had with my 07 but I seem to gather more speed in the same distance on my Z9. It’s a strange sensation. I have yanked the throttle on my new Z9 in second and the front wheel hasn’t lifted where as I know if I’d done the same on the 07 it would of been on the back wheel although when I do it on the Z it’s already law breaking. 
I must admit I am more than happy with my new Z but the riding experience are worlds apart 

• Global Moderator

We know everything about the 9 feels faster, but perception is reality. He might just be stuck because that nimble quickness is missing. He's got a chunk a led that takes longer to get turned where he wants to go fast

I understand what Jord is talking about.

If you do a drag race between both bikes, the 900cc bike should win with no trouble given equal riders. However, that's where it ends for me.

After years of YZF-R1s, FZ-1s, and other sporty bikes with larger-displacing engines, one test ride on the 2015 FZ-07 I ended up buying was a turn-on for me. Great low-end torque that was easy to use, fun to use, and very controllable.  The characteristics of the engine were all very pleasing, even the thumping vibes and the sound it made, especially with the Akra Ti exhaust installed (baffle in place, please).

Combined with the lower mass of the FZ-07, it was probably the best and most fun-to-ride street bike I've had the pleasure to own. No, wait. It was definitely the most fun-to-ride street bike I've owned.

A great combination of traits. 

Edited by YZEtc
spellin'
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, wrxer said:

...I have ridden the 900RS & it will certainly out pull an 07...

Right, that is what Jord said:

15 hours ago, Jord said:

...but I seem to gather more speed in the same distance on my Z9.

...when I do it on the Z it’s already law breaking. 

I relate to what he is saying. I have had liter bikes with a character like a bulldog.
Lots of muscle but you give up some agility.

• Like 1

Isn't the main difference that most of the 4 cylinder's performance is found only when you get to the upper rev range?  The opposite of the 07 where you find almost instant gratification from point zero.

• Like 4

Just do it! 

• 1 month later...

I have a fully modded '18 MT-07 and a stock '21 Z900 ABS with under 100 miles so still being nice to it (not the slower Z900 RS).

The Z900 RS is tuned for lower end torque. The much better looking Z900 ABS (no thanks to the 70's look for me!) is more sporty and rev happy, but not sport bike track focused at all. They are very different bikes.

The speed it there and then some with the Z, it's much more linear and smooth. The Z front wheel seems more planted, but that may be the traction control (have not adjusted it yet, or turned it off) - I'm not ready to put that engine/driveline under the stress of that - yet 😉

The MT falls off a cliff in the upper revs, the Z just keeps pulling...

Edited by Two-rocks

• 4 weeks later...

It’s a fairly easy sensation to understand.

The 07 has a steep torque curve from idle thanks to the way it is tuned and the two peppy large bore cylinders firing at 270 degree. The downside is it can only pull for so long before running out of steam. In the real world this is great fun to reach legal speeds on the majority of roads.

Compared to the inline 4 of the Z900 whilst it is less punchy at the low/mid range, it soon starts to sing as the revs climb and will continue to pull far beyond the 07. Right about the time you hit illegal street speeds.

10 hours ago, emtee07 said:

The 07 has a steep torque curve from idle thanks to the way it is tuned and the two peppy large bore cylinders firing at 270 degree. The downside is it can only pull for so long before running out of steam.

If you fit a Hordpower airbox (plus exhaust and tune) you can get significantly more top end power out of the 07; the engine is sensitive to induction mods but can respond quite well. Dyno chart below is this combo versus stock.

It makes for a far better experience on the track with the added top end power, but also very entertaining on the road when the additional power is needed.

The 07 engine is a gem, but of course it will never put out more peak power than what a larger 4 cylinder engine can achieve.

image.thumb.png.581f6a3da25145b8bf3a05b451c21894.png

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2021 at 4:34 PM, Jord said:

Firstly... I miss the pull of my 07. It’s a strange one. I don’t feel the same pull I had with my 07 but I seem to gather more speed in the same distance on my Z9. It’s a strange sensation. I have yanked the throttle on my new Z9 in second and the front wheel hasn’t lifted where as I know if I’d done the same on the 07 it would of been on the back wheel although when I do it on the Z it’s already law breaking. 
I must admit I am more than happy with my new Z but the riding experience are worlds apart 

I’m at one with my 07 and have no plans on ever selling it but my Z9 is so damn smooth.  That suspension is so confidence inspiring.   The quick shifter and assisted clutch each play a role in the fun factor.  If I add a DRZ to the mix I think that just might be the perfect Trifecta.