The MT-07 Forum

'16 FZ07 bike support

fourth1

Does anyone have any tips on how to support bike in order to remove swingarm and all rear suspension etc. I'm afraid to stress oil pan with all the weight. I have a pit bull rear stand and trying to get this accomplished w/o having to fab something. thanks

The oil sump is a factory approved lift point. There are many ways to remove swinger. Just use your imagination and be careful of balance. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I used an A-Frame ladder and a tie down strap to support the tail, and a head lift stand to support the front end when I replaced my rear shock. 

Options have been discussed in several threads regarding rear shock replacement.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 5 months later...

A center stand might work decently well, though I'm assuming that you don't have one.  I have never regretted that purchase.  I can't recall what I used to replace my rear shock.  I think that I used ratchet straps suspended from my shed roof.  You could place a couple of 2X6's between two vehicles and use ratchet straps.  Get creative, but like @mossrider said - be mindful of balance!

On 4/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, mossrider said:

The oil sump is a factory approved lift point. There are many ways to remove swinger. Just use your imagination and be careful of balance. 

This ^ but use a touch of common sense with it. I mean, don't just put a jack under and go to town. Slip a piece of wood or something stuff ( cutting board, thick book, your wife's cooking) between the pan and the jack head to spread the load out. 

nozeitgeist1800
2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

This ^ but use a touch of common sense with it. I mean, don't just put a jack under and go to town. Slip a piece of wood or something stuff ( cutting board, thick book, your wife's cooking) between the pan and the jack head to spread the load out. 

i tried this, but it just wanted to lean over as soon as the weight was on the jack. am i dumb? i have an akra ti that is kinda in the way

8 hours ago, nozeitgeist1800 said:

i tried this, but it just wanted to lean over as soon as the weight was on the jack. am i dumb? i have an akra ti that is kinda in the way

Of course you're not dumb. The pan is strong enough to lift the bike, but you'll still have to be careful to balance the bike. You'll have to improvise a way to keep it from tilting.