The MT-07 Forum

Parts check for 18k service

Jester

Hi guys,

I’ve hit the 18,500 miles/30,000 km. on my MT-07 2017, and it’s time for the third service. In the Yamaha manual it’s says that the only parts that need replacement are - oil & coolant. I’ve added an oil filter since I think it’s best to replace it if I’m draining the oil and it’s only 20$ so what the heck.

Before purchasing the following parts, I’d like to know your opinions about them and if they are compatible with my bike - since it will be my first time doing any kind of a mechanical service.

Oil filter - Hiflofiltro HF204

Oil - YamaLube Four Stroke, 10W40

Coolant - Motorex M5

I’ve also added pictures of the parts as a reference.

Thank you,

Best regards.

E4D629DD-ECC9-466F-B4EF-3D5F5F305AF1.jpeg

D1D297F8-DB3D-48ED-A7BB-77A4431012A8.jpeg

99FC5388-2CF1-4F01-94D2-65B7BC29FF8E.png

I have a 2017 as well.I flush the radiator once a year regardless of mileage. I change the oil and filteras once a year. My Bike has super low mileage. I Use engine Ice  for the radiator, yamaha filter for the oil and Motul 104092 Synthetic Engine Oil  10w40.   Parts run under$100.00. It's worth it to me to keep everything running as smoothly as possible.  

Lava Red 5.jpg

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Have you replaced the brake fluid?  I would do that too if the fluid is more than two years old. 

• Like 1

@scat2me

Dude your bike looks great! Thanks for the info.

@mjh937

I think the last owner changed it at 20k km, but I did notice that rear brake fluid is under the minimum line. Can I refill it with a new DOT4 fluid, or should I drain it completely and fill it with the new fluid?

I have replaced the brake lines with Core Moto SS lines, replaced the pads and brake fluid as well.

I would bleed the sytem and fill with fresh fluid. An open container or 1/2 container of brake fluid will absorb water from the air. 

Edited by scat2me
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

@Jester, you can add DOT4 fluid as needed but as @scat2me says you will want to use a new container.  

I replaced my brake lines with Spengler stainless steel ones as the book says the stock rubber lines should be replaced every four years and the braided steel ones last forever.  I am sure that is overkill, but it is a fun project (with the exception of bleeding the brakes, I hate doing that).  

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I know you're at 18k, but forget the manual for a moment.

Have you been changing fork oil every year? It's an ugly mosquito pond in side if not. And it's a great time to do at least the Dave Moss fix, but better if you go emulators, or ++.

Are you changing plugs every 8k? Lube your throttle & clutch cables? What do those front brake pads look like? Maybe time to go EBC double HH? How's sprockets, chain?

If you're going to bleed out the brakes, a cheap but very functional reverse bleeder "V5 DIY 2104-B Brake Bleeder" available from NAPA sold under "Carlyle Tools" banner, or on the web anywhere car parts are sold.

But by far if you just want to flush brake fluid with the same dot 4 fluid already in the system, you can just open the reservoir and start bleeding at the furthest caliper. Just before the reservoir is dry (about to suck air in) fill it again. Run a $9 bottle of Bel-Ray DOT 4 thru each circuit this way, you be fine with the results of this easy flush down.

Last step, go tune up your helmet, if it doesn't fit perfect order new oversize pads where you need them to make it right.

And if you really want some fun, I think there is a "problem and fixes" section on this site. Go take a stroll thru that. Keep it fun, this isn't work. It's Motoman exercise for the mind.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I suggest using a cheap fluid tester to determine if you need to replace your brake fluid.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

@scat2me

Is there a possibility to change fluid without bleeding the system? I don’t have tools for that unfortunately. 

@mjh937

Replacing the brake lines are necessary at 40k kilometers, and I’ll probably let an experienced mechanic do that as I don’t have the tools/knowledge to do this kind of work by myself haha. 

@Pursuvant

Thanks for the great tips, I’ve been having the bike for 10k kilometers so, the guy who I bought it from used to do all the services at the Yamaha garage. Plugs needs to be replaced at 40k kilometers as it’s been replaced already at 20k. Break pads are in good condition as well as the sprocket and chain, I’m kinda afraid to change the brake fluid as I don’t want to get air in the system - still thinking about that. 

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, Jester said:

@scat2me

@mjh937

@Pursuvant

I’m kinda afraid to change the brake fluid as I don’t want to get air in the system - still thinking about that. 

Then just do this simple flush down - you won't get air in system... if you need more help pm me.... I will walk u thru it slowly, carefully. You can do this amigo!

But by far if you just want to flush brake fluid (with new Dot 4), you can just open the reservoir and start bleeding at the furthest caliper. Just before the reservoir is dry (about to suck air in) fill it again.

Run a $9 bottle of Bel-Ray DOT 4 thru each brake circuit this way, you be fine with the results of this easy flush down.

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pursuvant

By simple wash down, e.g bleeding. You mean - open the bolt which holds the fluid inside and let it drain slowly?

The shop has the following brake fluids:

Motorex brake fluid DOT4

Brembo brake fluid DOT4

Which one of these should I get?

0FA00F7B-1D8A-44C8-B492-FC177D953713.png

38B5DBAB-0638-4ABC-9653-0A03157B5D63.jpeg

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Jester said:

@Pursuvant

By simple wash down, e.g bleeding. You mean - open the bolt which holds the fluid inside and let it drain slowly?

The shop has the following brake fluids:

Motorex brake fluid DOT4

Brembo brake fluid DOT4

Which one of these should I get?

0FA00F7B-1D8A-44C8-B492-FC177D953713.png

38B5DBAB-0638-4ABC-9653-0A03157B5D63.jpeg

That all work, but out of learned results across the entire product line, I use Bel-Ray DOT 4 because quality is there, at fair price. I've got Brembo RCS17 master cylinder, but I stick with Bel-Ray fluids.

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

Brake fluid meeting DOT4 specs is what you need.  The brand isn't important.  The specialty brands like in your photos are most likely just rebranded fluid from one of the big plants anyway.  I just go for any DOT4 fluid that I like the price of.  Choose your size as needed.   :)  Here's an example.  If you don't want that much, Walmart has 12 oz bottles for $4.44.

https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-power-steering-fluid-additives/brake-fluid/prestone-dot-4-brake-fluid-32oz/936098_0_0

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

@Pursuvant

I wish we had Bel-Ray in my country unfortunaltly we only have Brembo, Motorex and Motul.

@Triple Jim

I think I'll stick with Motorex as I will be getting Motorex coolant, as we don't have much choice regarding different brands in my country.

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

I think I'll stick with Motorex as I will be getting Motorex coolant, as we don't have much choice regarding different brands in my country.

What country is that?  You don't have  an approximate location in your profile.

@Triple Jim

Israel.

Just recieved a call from the shop, tough luck. They don't have the products I have listed in store and I will need to wait at least two weeks till they will recieve it.

He did suggest me the following:

Motul Inugel Expert - Coolant

Motul DOT3&4 - Brake Fluid

Should I get these instead?

@Pursuvant

I'd like your opinion also, thanks!

34-3.jpg

INUGEL.png

• Global Moderator

You are overthinking this

Maxima Coolanol, Engine Ice at Cycle gear, or just about any shop/dealer. Bel-Ray stuff too

Motul, great way to throw money away. Not saying it ain't good, saying you got better options if you just change your fluids every year, they all perform

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

@Pursuvant

Just want to make sure everything is correct :)

As I said before, the dealer does not have any of these items... I live outside of the USA, the brands that are available here are Motul, Motorex, and probably I can find Prestone too.