The MT-07 Forum

CMRA Race License

fzar

• Premium Member

I've decided that I want to get my race license, the CMRA is the sanctioning body around these parts of the country. I'm not sure how far I'll go with this! It might be just doing a couple of sprint races here and there or I might compete in a season under the limits as to what I can and cannot do, that's saying I get my License, of course.

I will be using what I have at hand to get my license and test the water:

2015 FZ-07, 39,000 miles, R6 throttle-tube, Hord-airbox, @2wheeldynoworks ecu flash, Akra-Ti., woodcraft 1.5 inch riser in the down position, Ohlins nix-22 up front, Ohlins stx-46 shock. I have a belly pan I bought from @pgeldz that I have yet to find a way to mount it.

I'm posting this as I need as much advice and direction as I can get to get the bike race prepped, yeah I know (CMRA.com) the site is down and they are showing next event is feb.14th. 2021. e.g safety wire the bike,the headlight has to go (old school # plate will do)signals and brake light have to go (easy), rain light, the list goes on. The bike will remain naked other than the addition of the belly pan.

If anyone can help me with how to go about the basics and get a head start, that would be fantastic. I have a track-day coming up sunday 4th. April @Hallett where I'll find out some more info from racers and the test day for the race license is May 28th. @Hallett Oklahoma where Ive done a few track-days in the past.

Any and all help appreciated.

Daithi.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hallett is awesome!  Done a number of track days there with my cars when I lived in Oklahoma.

I'm racing this weekend, so when I take my bet pan off to tech my bike, I'll shoot you pics of how to mount it :)

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Best to you @fzar keep us posted. I have nothing in my experience to offer as help, but if you think of it please post your Ohlins track setups here - I have same Ohlins hardware and would like to see what track settings look like...

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Actually, here's the way it mounts:

Screenshot_20210325-170303.png

Screenshot_20210325-170314.pngIs that catalinas bike?

• Premium Member
Just now, fzar said:
2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Actually, here's the way it mounts:

Screenshot_20210325-170303.png

Screenshot_20210325-170314.pngIs that catalinas bike?

Yes Sir

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jerzee said:

CMRA Web Site seems to be up now, so you might check there again. :) Best of luck racing / with your license.

Thanks. I have to get the license first on may 28th. Before I can race. Yeah it seems to be up but check the dates and the rule book is 2020. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I managed to reel myself back to concentrating on getting my bike ready to pass tech, after reading the rule book it states that "All bikes, except for motards and junior riders have to have a steering damper" Is this a normal request? This question goes to riders experience with race associations. Me, personally it will be CMRA, if any members have experience with CMRA if you could chime in also it would be appreciated. OH ,,,. also apparently the stock air intake has to go back on, so the HordPower will/might have to take a leave of absence, luckily I kept the OEM. 

I have another question to those track bike preppers. The sanctioning body CMRA needs the wheels/axles to be saftey-wired, or just secured at least. How do I go about doing that?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
cornerslider

Did you get the belly pan mounted???

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 5/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, cornerslider said:

Did you get the belly pan mounted???

Yes, but it won't pass tech for racing, no big deal. I had to leave after the evening race.

cheddarpills
On 4/26/2021 at 6:34 PM, fzar said:

I managed to reel myself back to concentrating on getting my bike ready to pass tech, after reading the rule book it states that "All bikes, except for motards and junior riders have to have a steering damper" Is this a normal request? 

I have another question to those track bike preppers. The sanctioning body CMRA needs the wheels/axles to be saftey-wired, or just secured at least. How do I go about doing that?

I haven't raced with CMRA since 2013, around the time they introduced the brake lever guard rule. So I'm not surprised to see more compulsory safety equipment. Ask around and maybe someone knows of The Incident that led to this rule getting tacked on.

On our FZ's front axle, you'll need to drill out a corner of the hex head. More likely three corners so you can wire it no matter the orientation once you've torqued it down. I'd say wire it to the pinch bolt (drill it out also).

Same with the rear axle nut, although I've seen a lot of guys on here change it out for a nut without the thread chasers because it can crossthread and ruin the axle. It's worth $50 to buy a nice aluminum or Ti nut with the safety wire holes already drilled.

Good luck, if you're at MSRH on July 31 I'll see you and we can take some laps together.

-Travis

• Like 1