The MT-07 Forum

New battery question

yamahazaki

So my bike wasn't starting in some parking lot fairly close to home.  Had the mrs on her bike as well, disconnected battery, brought it back home, charged it (looks like battery was bad since it charged very quickly), went back, nothing (still a buzzin').

So I bought a new battery at the local oreillys, had to throw in the acid and charge it at home, but it was getting late already so I only charged the battery for 2 hours with tender (I read it would take roughly 5 hours to get it to 70%) but I crossed my fingers, removed it, drove back to the motorcycle luckily wasn't stolen, installed battery, eureka, rode home (less than 10 minute ride), slapped the battery tender on to find it is now at or above 80% charged.

I have an ignorant question, not fully charging the new battery, installing it, and riding it home for only 10 min, did I in-advertantly screw up the charge doing that?

Thanks buddies.

Edited by yamahazaki
:)

• Premium Member

It should be fine.

• Like 4

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Contrary to a lot of folklore, your battery will be fine.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Having allowed a good working battery to go dark, I got a NoCo 1-amp charger and allowed the battery to soak up some juice. After time for a charge, every time I checked the battery voltage, the voltage was 12.56v. After 18 hours, I placed the battery back under the seat; carefully attached my Positive and then my Negative cable and turned the key to ON and pushed down on the red Starter Button.  Nothing happened!  

I removed the cables and checked the voltage again, it read 11.25v.  

At this time I am not blaming the battery; the electrical start system felt as if there (is)(was) a major short somewhere...?

It's one step at a time for me....  WHAT would you say is my the NEXT STEP. Thanks....   

Edited by user1

• 7 months later...
midlifedelinquent
On 9/9/2021 at 1:43 PM, user1 said:

Having allowed a good working battery to go dark...

I removed the cables and checked the voltage again, it read 11.25v.  

At this time I am not blaming the battery; the electrical start system felt as if there (is)(was) a major short somewhere...?

Did you get this resolved? Likely you damaged the battery. A failed battery will often show full voltage, but as soon as you put a load on it it drop rapidly. If you really had a short, you would likely either blow a fuse, or have some indication such as hearing an electric motor or seeing lights/smoke.

• Like 1

Sounds like a dead cell in the battery. You can have 12v all day but you don't have enough amps to push it. I learned that in the Air Force while working on a H1 Heater. The battery showed 12v but would not start. Put it on the battery tester and it showed bad when you put a load on it. Swapped the battery out and bam it worked.

nozeitgeist1800
27 minutes ago, Devilman said:

Sounds like a dead cell in the battery. You can have 12v all day but you don't have enough amps to push it. I learned that in the Air Force while working on a H1 Heater. The battery showed 12v but would not start. Put it on the battery tester and it showed bad when you put a load on it. Swapped the battery out and bam it worked.

heres a visual of this that i like

image.png.ccf6fad239fd3c0e3c0c5ee63be9e9b0.png

• Haha 1