The MT-07 Forum

Exhaust

Jimmie

Probably a stupid question but has Anyone ever changed the exhaust on the mt-07 I wanna go with all new headers and tip but was told buy the dealer it needed to be tuned for it and put on a Dino also that I needed to ad a power commander just wanted some input thanks 

Depends on the exhaust.   I contacted Delkevic before buying their full exhaust w/18" stainless muffler asking about tuning and volume.  They said no change to ECU needed and about 96 dB quiet core in it.   Both were important to me.

• Global Moderator

Do not be scared of getting a tune.  I have a tune by  @2wheeldynoworks with a stock exhaust and it made a huge improvement to the bike.  The stock tune is awful and this is mostly due to emissions requirements.  Contact @2wheeldynoworks and see what they can do for a tune and exhaust package.  I know they have good pricing and you will be happy with the results of an exhaust with a tune to match it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jimmie said:

Probably a stupid question but has Anyone ever changed the exhaust on the mt-07 I wanna go with all new headers and tip but was told buy the dealer it needed to be tuned for it and put on a Dino also that I needed to ad a power commander just wanted some input thanks 

Like KLX said, it really depends on the exhaust. Or if you just want to do it. Aftermarket exhausts don't give any appreciable power gains. The stock system is quiet, but it's not robbing the bike of any power. Aftermarket systems really don't move any extra air which would demand tuning. Lots of exhaust sellers will tell you this ( my Arrow also stated no tune needed), while others are probably afraid of lawyers so they'll slap every warning on there they can find. You'll have to do the  research for the system you're looking at. 

Typically, if you look at all the dyno charts available for bikes that have had exhausts and tunes changed they might make another 2-4hp or something. You can make multiple dyno runs on a bike, without any changes at all, and fluctuate 5hp all day.

Nothing wrong with a tune, but it very well may not be necessary if your budget just can't allow it right now. 

One of the best parts about a good tune/flash is the power under the curve, and just overall throttle response. It's hard to explain until you experience it, and then you'll get it.

Necessary or worthwhile on a bone stock bike? Probably not in this case...but with an exhaust it made a huge difference in my experience (of course I did Hordpower intake and flash at the same time, not just the flash, so not truly a legit comparison). I can say from many other bikes, quality ECU tunes have always been worth the money for me.

WW/R

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WWR said:

Necessary or worthwhile on a bone stock bike? Probably not in this case...but with an exhaust it made a huge difference in my experience (of course I did Hordpower intake and flash at the same time, not just the flash, so not truly a legit comparison). I can say from many other bikes, quality ECU tunes have always been worth the money for me.

I'm one of those folks who got a 2WDW flash on a stock motor, original exhaust, snorkel removed and a MWR air filter. I knew within 1/2 block that it was a completely different motor. It was worth every penny!

FWIW, install a OEM R6 throttle tube while they are doing your flash. If you wait for one of their sales, you can get the flash for $275 or a bit lower. They typically have a tax refund sale which should happen any time now.

The best part of 2WDW is that you can always get it reflashed (for shipping costs only) if you decide to add or change your exhaust.

I've had great success with 2WDW tunes in the past as well. My FZ09 was stock exhaust with an aftermarket air filter, and it completely changed that bike for the better. Will likely go the same route on the FJ09 but I can't resist messing with the exhaust a bit ;)

WW/R

Although I am just waiting for warmer weather to install my FTEcu on bike tuner, 2WDW will sell you the tune and you can flash it yourself. That way you can request different files as your mods change. I think it would give you access to tweak some of the settings (but not the tune itself). The tune was also cheaper this way which offsets the cost of the FTEcu hardware.

1 hour ago, seven said:

Although I am just waiting for warmer weather to install my FTEcu on bike tuner, 2WDW will sell you the tune and you can flash it yourself. That way you can request different files as your mods change. I think it would give you access to tweak some of the settings (but not the tune itself). The tune was also cheaper this way which offsets the cost of the FTEcu hardware.

The reason I like just getting the flash only is that after reading more comments than I want to think about, I realize that for most folks, the 07 is an interim bike that they will keep 2-3 years max. Most people set their bike up the way they want and don't screw with it. You de-snorkel it, get an exhaust, flash it and ride, never to screw with the motor again or so it seems.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a tinkerer, and you are changing pipes, air filtration, elevation regularly, in addition to racing then getting a setup that allows you to easily adjust your tune might make sense. I've read many comments of folks that thought they wanted to be the ultimate self-tuner, but they found out it got old very quickly. So you need to ask yourself, is it really worth the investment. The cost of a FTEcu tuner will almost pay for a good aftermarket shock which actually would be a very good addition to your bike IMHO.

I've spent $1500 in upgrades on my bike. I've not added a thing in the last 3 years, except for a lot of fun miles.

At the end of the day, it's just a FZ/MT-07. At some point moneywise, you would be better off getting a Triumph Street Tripe, KTM 790, or even the new Triumph 660... or a bigger bike. I like my FZ-07 very much, but there comes a point of diminishing returns for that bike.

Edited by FZ not MT

2 minutes ago, FZ not MT said:

The reason I like just getting the flash only is that after reading more comments than I want to think about, I realize that for most folks, the 07 is an interim bike that they will keep 2-3 years max. Most people set their bike up the way they want and don't screw with it. You de-snorkel it, get an exhaust, flash it and ride, never to screw with the motor again or so it seems.

Don't get me wrong, if you are a tinkerer, and you are changing pipes, air filtration, elevation regularly, in addition to racing then getting a setup that allows you to easily adjust your tune might make sense. I've read many comments of folks that thought they wanted to be the ultimate self-tuner, but they found out it got old very quickly. So you need to ask yourself, is it really worth the investment. The cost of a FTEcu tuner will almost pay for a good aftermarket shock which actually would be a very good addition to your bike IMHO.

I've spent $1500 in upgrades on my bike. I've not added a thing in the last 3 years, except for a lot of fun miles.

At the end of the day, it's just a FZ/MT-07. At some point moneywise, you would be better off getting a Triumph Street Tripe, KTM 790, or even the new Triumph 660... or a bigger bike. I like my FZ-07 very much, but there comes a point of diminishing returns for that bike.

Me going the FTEcu route was more about the fact that I am in Canada and cross-border shipping is expensive and I don't risk having my ECU stalled at customs. I also get zero downtime if I need to reflash if I add an exhaust at some point.

I agree about putting any money into the bike because, like you said, diminishing returns. Every time I spend money on something I ask myself "why?" and most of the time the answer is "shutup, don't talk to me."

I really want to put on exhaust but the cost of it makes me cringe...same goes for any fork/shock upgrade, although those at least affect the handling of the bike so are easier to justify.

I figure I will have this bike for the long haul (famous last words I know).

• Like 1