The MT-07 Forum

New exhaust advice

Admiralxavier

Admiralxavier

I need a new exhaust, but there's so many different ones out there that I don't know where to start. My main goal is to make more noise so that I can be heard in traffic. I also rather not have to do a ECU flash and would also prefer to keep it cheap (~$600).  What do you guys recommend I'd do?

What do you guys recommend I'd do?
Perhaps a bit of introspection would be in order. 

FJR1300A,Triumph S3,Ducati S2R1000
VisitedStatesMap2011.jpg 310820.png

• Global Moderator

I would do a little search on this forum. The exhaust is pretty much the most popular mod and there are loads of posts and threads out there.

CLICK  ;)

• Premium Member

Without a fuel controller you're limited to the Yoshimura exhaust, or Akrapovik Ti WITH catalytic converter. The akra totally blows the budget by a long shot. The yosh still over 600 I think but not by much.

There are a few other European exhaust options that claim you don't need to alter the air/fuel ratio but I'm not familiar with any of them.

Everything went braap.

If it were me I would dig a bit deeper in my pockets and get the ECU tune. Not only does that open up a whole lot more doors for exhaust, it also is just better for the bike. The bike is tuned for the exhaust that is on it now so if you change that, in the long run, there maybe some long term negative consequences for your engine. Also, certain dealerships will void the motorcycle factory warranties if a new exhaust is installed and a fuel controller is not added as well.

Thank you for the advice. Is this something you typically have them do at the dealership or at a mechanic?
You can, or you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.

I need a new exhaust, but there's so many different ones out there that I don't know where to start. My main goal is to make more noise so that I can be heard in traffic. I also rather not have to do a ECU flash and would also prefer to keep it cheap (~$600).  What do you guys recommend I'd do?
Many of us have the M4 exhaust. Let's that great 07 twin snarl like a small block V8, is much lighter than stock, low price, easy to install and no messing with the fueling.  
http://fz07.org/thread/596/m4-exhaust-update

• 2 weeks later...
scordiaboy515
Is it better okay to install an after marker exhaust before having the broken in the engine ?
   Doesn't matter, either way is fine 

• Premium Member

I'm just going to be the devils advocate here and say keep your stock exhaust. Don't get me wrong I love the way a good exhaust can make it sound. And in reality that's why most everyone is getting one. Its cool factor and is all it is .... yeah I might get a louder exhaust too lol. I'm running out of cool so I might need a louder exhaust to help me out.

As far as a safety feature I don't buy it, you have a horn for that and its more effective.

More HP and shed a few pounds Well lets face it if you wanted a faster bike you would have picked up a FZ-09 to start with. Hell 600 more and you would have had a FZ-09 ;)

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Admiralxavier
I'm just going to be the devils advocate here and say keep your stock exhaust. Don't get me wrong I love the way a good exhaust can make it sound. And in reality that's why most everyone is getting one. Its cool factor and is all it is .... yeah I might get a louder exhaust too lol. I'm running out of cool so I might need a louder exhaust to help me out. 
As far as a safety feature I don't buy it, you have a horn for that and its more effective.

More HP and shed a few pounds Well lets face it if you wanted a faster bike you would have picked up a FZ-09 to start with. Hell 600 more and you would have had a FZ-09 ;)

Do you mean the exhaust is good only for sound but not worth the cost?

• Premium Member
Do you mean the exhaust is good only for sound but not worth the cost?
I'm not saying its only good for sound, but it sounds like you are on a budget and if your concern is safety I think some High Viz gear is the way to go. I love the sound of most all the exhaust systems I've herd and If I could get that sound for 50 bucks I would do it in a hart beat but 600 is a big investment IMO.
I also think to do it right you to do like said above get a good exhaust and some kind of fuel management to get the most out of it now your looking at $1000 USD or more.
I'm probably going to leave mine stock but I don't even have my bike yet so I would not even listen to me ;)  

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Admiralxavier

I'll agree with you here. #1 I won't be listening to you and #2 I will up my budget. The titanium Yoshimura looks appealing and sounds great.

Archived