The MT-07 Forum

Quickshifter tuning

Gravisman

I just finished my first race weekend on my new FZ-07R. Mostly the bike treated me well but my quickshifter felt like it had room for improvement. I use an aracer ecu and quick shifter which offers the ability to tweak any parameter I want on the QS function. I’m just not sure on a theoretical level what kind of changes I should try to make to address my issues which are these:

1. 1->2 and 2->3 give me too much of a kick, basically always lifting the front off the ground for a moment. Would like to tame those and keep the bike settled so I could feel more confident making those shifts while leaned over. 

2. higher gears like 3->4 miss every once in a while, leaving me still in the lower gear. I hear it try to shift, but isn’t able to engage the new gear. 

Can anyone share some knowledge on QS tuning that I might be able to apply toward these issues?

For what it's worth, most of your lower gear issues is a result of the cp-2's super torque characteristics not the Q shifter. In lower gears it'll want to loft the front end especially if you don't have your front-rear weight bias dialed in. If you're transferring too much weight to the rear under full throttle it'll make it worse.  You could try short shifting it in lower gears and using the torque instead of rpm to get things rolling. (Where the hell are you using 1st gear on track?)

The 4-5 and 5-6 gear change might need a bit more interrupt, try a few more nanoseconds. The trannies in these budget bikes is not known to be silky smooth. The 5-6 change is the most problematic. Make sure your shift linkage is spot on, clean, lubed and your angles set at 90 degrees. Then make sure you make solid, deliberate shifts in the upper gears and don't preload the shifter with your toe and completely release it on completion of the shift. 

These things won't fix everything but it will help. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips - I’ll play with it. I don’t need first gear, but in some turns I’d like to enter in 2nd and be able to click up to third while still carrying lean, which I’d hope to get a smoothish shift there without the chassis getting too unsettled. It might actually be possible to disable the QS for the lower gears and do it the old fashioned way......maybe something to consider. 

Aleksandar13

If this is of any help... My setup for that healtech qs... Might not be but I am very happy with it... Street tenere700 supermoto. 

I can shift leaned over and even 1st to 2nd is good but needs to be above the 7k rpm on that shift to feel smooth. 

Aleks 

Screenshot_20210321-153032.jpg

• Like 1

There is not a turn at Buttonwillow you should be entering in 2nd gear.

Sorry i cant help you with the aracer setup as im not familiar with it. IIRC my Bazzaz is setup at 70ms for all. I may play around with it a little bit. Every once in a while itll miss, however, it is my fault for reasons Mossrider explains.

I dont have the buck/kick problems when shifting. The transition when shifting should be seemless. Depending on the cutout times you may hear a small interruption/cutout. It may be a combo of your gearing, too high RPM, too low gear. Before messing with your QS timing try messing with the rider. 😀

M. Hausknecht

Are you using fuel or spark cutoff for the quickshifter? RC Super gives you a choice. I'm using fuel cutoff and cut-off times as follows on my MT07: 1>2 62.5; 2>3 78.125; 3>4 78.125; 4>5 78.125; 5>6 70.3. Shifts well; smooth and no missed shifts. My gears are undercut as well, which helps.

I only use first to second and second to third on starts and, yes, the bike will wheelie a lot with throttle wide open in those gears. I haven't found any need to use 2d gear in any corners but I suppose in a really tight hairpin I could see using second.

14 hours ago, M. Hausknecht said:

Are you using fuel or spark cutoff for the quickshifter? RC Super gives you a choice. I'm using fuel cutoff and cut-off times as follows on my MT07: 1>2 62.5; 2>3 78.125; 3>4 78.125; 4>5 78.125; 5>6 70.3. Shifts well; smooth and no missed shifts. My gears are undercut as well, which helps.

I only use first to second and second to third on starts and, yes, the bike will wheelie a lot with throttle wide open in those gears. I haven't found any need to use 2d gear in any corners but I suppose in a really tight hairpin I could see using second.

I’m on spark cutoff. Maybe will try fuel cutoff. I generally find that the upshifts are smoother the higher in the rev range I shift.

19 hours ago, Gravisman said:

I’m on spark cutoff. Maybe will try fuel cutoff. I generally find that the upshifts are smoother the higher in the rev range I shift.

Does it have the option to do both? Ignition cut and fuel cut. I run the dynojet quickshift on my PCV and it offers Ign cut only, fuel cut only, or Ign and fuel cut. I found that "Ign and Fuel cut" to be the smoothest over all for my setup. I believe I'm also running a set cut time of 75 to 80ms range. I don't have the "per gear" options setup in my PCV so I can only set one static cut time for all gears and the setup above was the smoothest I could get. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2021 at 6:51 AM, M. Hausknecht said:

I switched to settings very similar to this and found my problems basically went away. No more missed shifts and most shifts are buttery smooth. 1-2 still has a tendency to lift up a bit but that’s ok. I’m happy!