The MT-07 Forum

Spring Time Tune Up Questions

mjkouris

Hi all,

Just joined - but I picked up a 2019 MT07 back in October with about 900 miles on it. I put a few hundred on it since then and it has been sitting in the garage for the past couple months without being ridden - the weather in Denver, CO lately has been crappy. 

With spring around the corner, looking to get the bike ready for some day-rides through the mountain. Want to make sure I tune/check everything needed too - but need some advice to what? 

Thanks! 

Just a couple months?  Just check the fluids, tire pressure, put in some fresh gas, and ride.

Welcome to the board MJ!

• Premium Member

I suggest you add checking the battery condition as well as the chain lubrication and adjustment to your list.

Enjoy your 1st ride of the season. 👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

13 minutes ago, mjkouris said:

... Want to make sure I tune/check everything needed too - but need some advice to what?

If you haven’t done so already, download a copy of Yamaha’s 2019 MT-07 Owners Manual. It contains a comprehensive periodic maintenance and adjustment schedule as well as a pre-operation checklist.

While Yamaha charges for their service manuals (which I personally find indispensable since I do all my own maintenance work), they let you download the Owners Manual for free at:

https://dd5394a0b8ca8e97ba29-abf76f3d91a2125517d6c7c409f095c7.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/content/common/manuals/2019/LIT-11626-32-58_5c06c9732a0ab73cec87e807.pdf

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I suggest you add checking the battery condition...

I thought about the battery, but decided that the easiest way to check its condition was to see if the engine starts.  :)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I thought about the battery, but decided that the easiest way to check its condition was to see if the engine starts.  :)

That usually works. :)

But I'd hate to find out on ride day that your battery may not be up to the task. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 minutes ago, DewMan said:

That usually works. :)

But I'd hate to find out on ride day that your battery may not be up to the task. ✌️

Very true.  See if it starts well before ride day!

I know the chance is very small, but I knew a DewMan on the Kaw triples board years ago.  That's not you, is it?

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Very true.  See if it starts well before ride day!

I'm always paranoid that the "test" startup used up the last of the charge on the battery.  😧 Even after that never being the case I alway throw a tender on it just to be extra Boy Scout.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.