The MT-07 Forum

Just another "all-around bike" MT build

JeffroTull

Since I can only have one bike to do everything, (commuting, light touring, sport riding, occasional track days). All the mods I have chosen will allow me to keep it flexible for whatever type of riding I want to do, with very minimal setup changes. I knew the 07 was the perfect choice. I picked this 2020 model up back in January with right around 1000 miles.  

Current mods:

IXIL Hyperlow full exhaust

2WDW reflash

Bagster Ready Luxe Seat

Ermax Touring Windshield

Dash Relocated -- Shapeways Bracket

Renthal Streetfighter bars

Womet-tech EVO shorty levers

R6 OEM throttle tube 

Chain adjuster spools

Shogun PA2 frame sliders

Amazon front and rear axle sliders

Yamaha saddlebag mount

Yamaha genuine accessories soft saddlebags

Kriega US-30 Drypack tailbag

ColorClusters LCD flip + red screen

Acerbis X-Tarmac Handguards

eBay radiator grille

Future plans: Front fork oil and spacer mod, rearsets, tail tidy, Full LED’s

IMG_0256.jpeg

Edited by JeffroTull
  • Like 2

Color screens LCD Flip + Red screen. I ended up removing the red screen because I had a hard time reading it with a sun glare under a shaded lens

IMG_0345.jpg

• Like 1

Absolutely love the yamaha (SW Motech Blaze) saddlebag system. It only takes about 20 seconds for me to snap both rails in and throw the bags on! Ill have to add a pic next week with the saddlebags and Kriega US-30 on for a full luggage shot

IMG_0388.jpg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LivingADream13 said:

I like how sleek those bags are. How does the exhaust system sound?

The best thing about those bags is how easy they are to put on and take off. I am a huge fan of the exhaust system. It sounds amazing and I think it looks pretty cool as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shapeways  dash relocation bracket, bolted over top of Ermax touring windshield bracket, dash relocated

IMG_0501.jpg

Dash relocated, shapeways relocation bracket works great with Ermax touring windshield

IMG_0505.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

loaded up - yamaha genuine saddlebags - kriega US-30 drypack

IMG_0547.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

great looking bike. will that saddlebag kit work with a tidy tail where the signal lights are mounted higher near the tail light n?

• Like 1

Oooooh

Looks like its at least as easy, if not way easier, to access the key?

That alone might convince me.  I'm planning on a windshield anyway, could just as easily return the puig that's on the way and go for the ermax. 

I'm still undecided on the following:

• Exhaust - basically want something better/throatier/rumblier, but not significantly louder. Hard to tell via youtube how something will work out
  • Bags - will likely go for the saddlebags you have, but would really like a lockable top case for helmet, etc when parked at the grocery store and similar. Going between OE rack + 39L or something from givi or shad

28 minutes ago, ducarmont said:

Exhaust - basically want something better/throatier/rumblier, but not significantly louder. Hard to tell via youtube how something will work out

And I was so impressed with the performance and quietness of my stock system.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

And I was so impressed with the performance and quietness of my stock system.

I mean, I don't hate it honestly. I also don't think its worth $1k on a $7k bike to swap either.  Some of the 07s with $1k exhaust, tune, front and rear suspension upgrades, etc, and you're at/past MT-09 money closing in on MT-09SP.  Of course, to each their own, there are other reasons to pick an 07 over an 09, and I understand certain areas have different licensing laws and abilities as well.

For exhaust, just something a bit less bulky and with a bit more character 

Say, if stock exhaust is here 

|-x-----------|

and most of what I see on youtube is here i think 

|---------x---|

I would want to be here

|-----x-------|

Edited by ducarmont
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ducarmont said:

Oooooh

Looks like its at least as easy, if not way easier, to access the key?

That alone might convince me.  I'm planning on a windshield anyway, could just as easily return the puig that's on the way and go for the ermax. 

I'm still undecided on the following:

• Exhaust - basically want something better/throatier/rumblier, but not significantly louder. Hard to tell via youtube how something will work out
  • Bags - will likely go for the saddlebags you have, but would really like a lockable top case for helmet, etc when parked at the grocery store and similar. Going between OE rack + 39L or something from givi or shad

Ducarmont, I have heard people complain about key accessibility after relocating the dash. In my experience, at least with the shapeways bracket, it's actually easier for me to put the key in after relocating. I feel like the dash obscured the ignition more when it was mounted to the stock location on the bars.

You could always get the bracket and see if your PUIG will work with it before returning it.

I think as long as you get an exhaust with a baffle, you'll be pleased and not too put out by the noise. I am very happy with the IXIL. I only run it with the baffle, and I think it's just right. It's only really loud when you're doing wide open pulls, but always has a nice growl at lower rpms.

13 minutes ago, ducarmont said:

I mean, I don't hate it honestly. I also don't think its worth $1k on a $7k bike to swap either.  Some of the 07s with $1k exhaust, tune, front and rear suspension upgrades, etc, and you're at/past MT-09 money closing in on MT-09SP.  Of course, to each their own, there are other reasons to pick an 07 over an 09, and I understand certain areas have different licensing laws and abilities as well.

Say, if stock exhaust is here 

|-x-----------|

and most of what I see on youtube is here i think 

|---------x---|

I would want to be here

|-----x-------|

You might  check out  Black Widow for the MT 07. They are very high-quality systems that don't cost an arm and a leg. I believe they are a British company, but there are a few US-based vendors with eBay stores that sell them for around $350-$400

• Like 1

Just now, JeffroTull said:

Ducarmont, I have heard people complain about key accessibility after relocating the dash. In my experience, at least with the shapeways bracket, it's actually easier for me to put the key in after relocating. I feel like the dash obscured the ignition more when it was mounted to the stock location on the bars.

You could always get the bracket and see if your PUIG will work with it before returning it.

I think as long as you get an exhaust with a baffle, you'll be pleased and not too put out by the noise. I am very happy with the IXIL. I only run it with the baffle, and I think it's just right. It's only really loud when you're doing wide open pulls, but always has a nice growl at lower rpms.

Thanks for all the info, and yeah, i'll try the puig out first. 

All stock, I could see the key being harder to access after relocating the dash, but given a windscreen, I would assume screen, dash, key would be better than screen, key, dash, kinda as you said.

Good to know on the IXIL w/ baffles too

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dash said:

great looking bike. will that saddlebag kit work with a tidy tail where the signal lights are mounted higher near the tail light n?

Dash, I can't say from experience because I still haven't installed a tail tidy, though I plan to soon. I think as long as you get some aftermarket signals that are a little more tidy than the stock bulbous pumpkins you would be fine. You can see from this picture that the width between the bags is just wide enough for the stock signals. I would think almost any tidy setup would be narrower.

IMG_0389.jpg

9 hours ago, ducarmont said:

One thing about the character of the stock system I really love is that when I'm out on a country road going 55 or 60 mph, the dominant noise I hear is wind.  It's very refreshing after many decades of riding my 1972 Kawasaki H2.

Edited by Triple Jim

54 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

One thing about the character of the stock system I really love is that when I'm out on a country road going 55 or 60 mph, the dominant noise I hear is wind. 

Very good point Jim. I think the only time an aftermarket exhaust sounds good is when the bike is stopped and you are blipping the throttle. After that it's just loud noise.

BTW, you can get a really good sound at idle with the stock exhaust. When you remove the snorkel (need a flash for that) you get a really noticeable suck sound. I initially did that with the stock air filter which actually sounded like crap. I upgraded to the MWR filter, and it really sounds great, if not somewhat badass.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FZ not MT said:

BTW, you can get a really good sound at idle with the stock exhaust. When you remove the snorkel (need a flash for that) you get a really noticeable suck sound. I initially did that with the stock air filter which actually sounded like crap. I upgraded to the MWR filter, and it really sounds great, if not somewhat badass.

Interesting, but I prefer to sound as un-badass as possible.  Then when I'm passing "faster" bikes in the twisties it's even more ironic.   :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ducarmont said:

Thanks for all the info, and yeah, i'll try the puig out first. 

All stock, I could see the key being harder to access after relocating the dash, but given a windscreen, I would assume screen, dash, key would be better than screen, key, dash, kinda as you said.

Good to know on the IXIL w/ baffles too

I have the Puig Touring II windscreen, and it is a true PITA to get the key in and out with the stock dash location. Interested in hearing how you make out with the relocation and Puig. Are you getting the Touring II or a different windscreen?

1 hour ago, Jerzee said:

I have the Puig Touring II windscreen, and it is a true PITA to get the key in and out with the stock dash location. Interested in hearing how you make out with the relocation and Puig. Are you getting the Touring II or a different windscreen?

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-touring-naked-new-generation-windscreen-yamaha-mt-07-2018?sku_id=1334608

Yeah, I anticipate some difficulty accessing the key, and I'm willing to deal with it long term, but will try the relocation kit and report back. A bunch of random stuff for the bike is showing up throughout the week, and I'll be installing it all / messing with the bike this weekend.

• Like 1

JeffroTull . my tail has the stock signal lights, after looking at yours im guessing i will be changing them for some smaler LED's. I  ordered the bags. I will post picks when I get them.

• Like 1