The MT-07 Forum

Brembo 17RCS Corsa Corta master cylinder with Spiegler brake lines on Yamaha XSR700

Pursuvant

• 2 years later...
  • Global Moderator

2023.03 Maintenance parts

The brake fluid reservoir "diaphragm" has lost it's shape (inside reservoir to keep fluid covering the fluid pickup)

BREMBO Reservoir Cap & Diaphragm - Size : 45ml (110430890) (110.4308.90) × 1

I flush the lines down with clean brake fluid every year, that's about all this mod needs other than pads and "spring" that keeps pads from rattling in each caliper. Maybe keep some of the pad retaining clips on hand, they get lost...

• Like 1

• Pursuvant pinned this topic

I bypass the abs module and went with a brembo rcs 19. Is this too much for this bike it . Stops 

M. Hausknecht
11 hours ago, Smitty said:

I bypass the abs module and went with a brembo rcs 19. Is this too much for this bike it . Stops 

Your lever should be appreciably more difficult to squeeze (and get the braking force you desire)  and shouldn't move much compared to the stock master cylinder size. The larger master cylinder could also make it more difficult to modulate the amount of braking force you get. With steel-braided brake lines, I like the feel and power I get with an R6 master cylinder (16mm  versus the stock 15mm, I think) on my race bike without ABS. I typically use two fingers to brake hard and often only one for lighter braking. I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 17mm master on mine but if the 19  works for you, what I think shouldn't matter.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I have the Brembo 17mm RCS with steel braided lines on my Track FZ, I am very pleased with the feel and performance. I agree with @M. Hausknecht, I would not go bigger than 17mm. 

Ed

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• 3 weeks later...
sweetscience

I've been busy this week.  I replaced/deleted my OEM ABS brake system, in place of Core SS lines front, spiegler rear,  Brembo RCS 17 master. Stahlbus bleeder valves. Still stock pads.  Have yet to try Brembo pads.

PXL_20230505_161544659.thumb.jpg.7f0f2e40b22ac89b09118f26c969ab63.jpg

Edited by sweetscience
Spelling

M. Hausknecht

My Kramer came with Brembo pads; they're ok but I wouldn't pay extra for them. I prefer SBS Dual Sinter pads for the track (linear grip and excellent feel), and EBC HH pads for the street. I've used SBS Dual Carbon on my track 07 and like them; a bit more aggressive initial grip than the Dual Sinter pads.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
4 hours ago, sweetscience said:

I've been busy this week.  I replaced/deleted my OEM ABS brake system, in place of Core SS lines front, spiegler rear,  Brembo RCS 17 master. Staulbus bleeder valves. Still stock pads.  Have yet to try Brembo pads.

PXL_20230505_161544659.thumb.jpg.7f0f2e40b22ac89b09118f26c969ab63.jpg

Pretty...

image.png.34346a7d5648df2212407ab73b054ecf.png

and pretty pretty for the win!

@PursuvantIn looking at the picture below, I see you moved the switch set inside.  I have a Vortex fat bar flat track bend bar that I want to mount, problem is I need to cut about 1" off each end of the bars and the stock master cylinder may not allow that cut, with it impinging on the fat portion of the bars because they are fat up to the bend.  I think it may hit the large part of the bars.   I think the Brembo master cylinder may do the job without hitting, but I'd prefer to keep the switches to the outside between the throttle and the master cylinder.

So the question is did you test the setup with the switch in normal position before the install?   I see how you set it up, but wonder why.

06.IMG_20210307_183639732.jpg

Did the switch hit the brake line?   Did you move the switch to the other side because of the lever bend?   Why the change?

sweetscience

Yeah that is odd.  Looks a bit too far off,  it may be a safety issue, because you'd have to remove your right hand from the grip just to operate the switches.  My guess is those are aftermarket bars, and the switch cables can't reach that far.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
20 hours ago, klx678 said:

@Pursuvant the question is did you test the setup with the switch in normal position before the install?   I see how you set it up, but wonder why.

06.IMG_20210307_183639732.jpg

Did the switch hit the brake line?   Did you move the switch to the other side because of the lever bend?   Why the change?

My memory has some limits these days. Here's what I know clearly - the reason for why it is as it is:

Two primary requirements. I wanted to keep the stock bars. I ordered the "long lever" Brembo master cyl (because I was after max leverage for weakening hands).

So working from those two conditions - to get  that long lever in the position that feels right, best leverage (relative to the grip), I gave Brembo preference and mounted it first. That forced the moving of the switch housing.

Note: two things, (1) I did test with the Brembo in standard config, and (2) there is a "short" lever available from Brembo with a different part number than my op parts list.

This much (above) I remember well.

Could I have put the switch outside the Brembo (standard config) ? Yes. I expect people all over the moto planet do it standard config. My fingers could have learned the lever easily.

Did the Brembo bump into anything (brake line, throttle cables, stuff) ? EDIT: WRONG**** No. I look at it today and I can see, nothing bumped into anything**** END WRONG

EDIT: WRONG**** So here is what I would do today, if I was doing it - I would not order the ss brake line until after I placed controls in standard config, and with a "short" lever if you want one. Because you will order the length you want, for your configuration.**** END WRONG The length of the SS brake line specified in the op parts list is fine, it fits in standard configuration or if the Brembo is moved outside as in my op.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

So I pulled it down because yes. Let's find out what the real deal is that I can't remember....

Yes, the control switch housing prevents the Brembo from being moved any closer to the switch than you see below when in standard handlebar configuration...

Hbar01.jpg.b636586ff96eff9d2f03e6d389098367.jpg

The control switch housing has a "post" on the underside that the wiring harness is zip-tied to, and you can see that post "bumping into" the master cylinder...

Hbar02.jpg.79318dba0d153eeb5018e7c663606b8a.jpg

It's a short post with a 90 degree bend on the end, part of the housing, which creates the option of removing it, if necessary. If you remove it, you could still secure the wire harness inside of the housing with a very small zip tie, just large enough to prevent the harness wires from being pulled out of the housing...

Hbar03.jpg.406b652606953181ad352c3b408c7570.jpg

Does it matter? Is the Brembo in the right position to clear the control switch housing in the standard configuration? Yes, it clears the control housing. Below is the lever in "hard braking" position, it has plenty of clearance with the control housing and it is underneath of the throttle control cables, so the Brembo master cylinder is fully functional in this standard configuration you see below (this is with the Brembo "long lever")...

Hbar05.jpg.6285abacabeb5f0adc61ec47c2bff694.jpg

But the Brembo lever does look like it's a little "short" relative to the grip, like the Brembo could be moved "outward" more to get the lever to better match the bar end...

Hbar06.jpg.108d1021661f6f3b233c0ee968ae7f02.jpg

I brake with 1 finger, so I don't care if the lever appears to be a little short. If I put everything back together as you see it above in standard configuration, I gain a little more "physical leverage" on the lever. That's because my index finger has "moved" outward about an inch. That doesn't sound like much, but leverage is increased.

So I'm going to put it back together as you see (tomorrow) when I can double check this improvement suggested by @klx678 and @sweetscience. Thanks for asking good questions, it's now an unexpected braking power improvement for me.

And it was easy to do, as you can see below...

Hbar04.jpg.76d4edd09b1e511dc7dce2f63ea9fb8c.jpg

• Like 1

I ask because I am considering the bar change, but the reservoir may cause me issues if it contacts the bar, where the radial master cylinder won't .  I prefer a shorter lever, which the regular mount position puts the standard lever in a short position. 

I only use two fingers on brakes, mostly out of habit from off roading, but also because I have small hands so my little finger won't even reach a brake lever.  I have no problem with the stock braking, so it isn't to get more braking power, but getting single finger braking would be nice.

Thanks for filling me in on what you have and the pictures.  If the last picture is a picture of what I think it is, I hope you heal up fast.  

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
1 hour ago, klx678 said:

I ask because I am considering the bar change, but the reservoir may cause me issues if it contacts the bar

If you want some specific measures of anything while it's apart? Like maybe a bar end shot looking down the grip towards the control switch? I'm keeping this change to standard config, I can take pics and measures anytime if needed 

Looking at it this morning, the brake lever looks fine, it's not really short, it matches my clutch Vortex lever. It looks like levers are being protected by the bar ends

sweetscience

I bought an aero lever to replace the Brembo, because well, it gots MotoGP aero tech lol.  It's a Japanese company called Kohken, which I bought from Webike Japan.  IIRC, they come in 3 sizes :shorty, regular and long.  I got the regular size (same size as stock).  Good quality, and fitment.  There is a slightly different bend to it, but in a more ergonomic way. PXL_20230507_135735424.thumb.jpg.87246e0b956229c16ea9c546ec716ab4.jpg 

@Pursuvant  I'm good on what you have.   I am kind of hoping if I do something like this, that the OEM line will work for me.  I don't really want to go gonzo on it.    I figure if it would work that the line could be quickly swapped over and the fitting bled without having to go through the whole system, although it might not be a bad thing to have done to replace the original brake fluid.  It has been about 4 years, but not a lot of miles.

I'm also looking at the Braking and Nissin (Shindy) master cylinders as well.  I know they're not as adjustable, but at around a hundred less they might be a fair choice.  I'm trying to get some feedback on them in the ADVrider forum and probably should try the same here.

I remember someone commenting about buying one of the low buck ebay master cylinders.  I found the Adelin PX1 interesting, someone made a video of a tear down showing the machining and all, but then I saw where another rider had the adjuster screw threads strip off, when he pulled the lever hard one time, not riding fortunately.  So I tanked that one.   

The Braking and the Nissin have credibility in their products, so those are on the table with the former running around $236 and the latter around $200 with the reservoir and the brake light switch.  Looks like Nissin has the nice little switch like used on the Hondas where the Braking has the banjo fitting/switch setup. 

I am contacting Nissin about which master cylinder I should go to if I use one of them, the 17 or 19.  I've also contacted Hord Racing, since  they carry the Shindy product (repackaged Nissin) and I figure if anyone knows the MT-07 (same brakes), they do.   Braking has a 19mm piston, and I might give them a yell.

Edited by klx678

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
2 hours ago, sweetscience said:

I bought an aero lever to replace the Brembo, because well, it gots MotoGP aero tech lol.  It's a Japanese company called Kohken, which I bought from Webike Japan.  IIRC, they come in 3 sizes :shorty, regular and long.  I got the regular size (same size as stock).  Good quality, and fitment.  There is a slightly different bend to it, but in a more ergonomic way. PXL_20230507_135735424.thumb.jpg.87246e0b956229c16ea9c546ec716ab4.jpg 

Haha, an aftermarket lever part to replace the Brembo aftermarket parts. Whoo-da think that was a thing! Double well done @sweetscience

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
1 hour ago, klx678 said:

...The Braking and the Nissin have credibility in their products...

I am contacting Nissin about which master cylinder I should go to if I use one of them, the 17 or 19.  I've also contacted Hord Racing, since  they carry the Shindy product (repackaged Nissin) and I figure if anyone knows the MT-07 (same brakes), they do.   Braking has a 19mm piston, and I might give them a yell.

You remember I'm sure, how you worked with Brembo to engineer a solution for illness and diminishing hand strength - and you recommend the 17mm with adjustable lever fulcrum for my limitations. Great for me, but your conditions are different.

I think somebody posted about using Magura radial, it was being sold by one of the SS brake line makers.

@PursuvantI looked at Magura and their price made Brembo look like a steal.   I remember the 17mm, because the stock one is a 14mm.  That was what I was asking Brembo about.  Seemed like their piston was huge and going the wrong way, but clearly the difference is made up by the mechanical hand lever leverage, as they pointed out.  That's why I'm trying to learn about the Nissin and Braking master cylinders.  The Braking is calling for a 19mm, I think the Nissin is a 16.  So I do what was done with the Brembo - ask them.   

I may do the Nissin if Hord has had good experience with them.  They're about 45 minutes away from me, I could actually drive/ride up and talk with them.   They[re $200 with the mirror mount clamp as well as the blank one, the reservoir with the mount bracket, and the brake light switch.  Those would push the Brembo up over $350.  I'm being a tightwad.

How much headache was/is it to bleed the system with the ABS anyway?

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

I expected to have some extra effort because ABS, but I never found any air trapped that could point to the ABS. Just bleed as normal. If the master you end up with has a bleeder, ride and bleed it every couple rides for a week.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

2023.05 Mod

Relocated the control switch to OEM position, and moved the Brembo RCS17 inside of that housing - returning it to the most common handlebar location. Just to show it can be done, and what needs modified to make it all fit.

Hbar07.jpg.98448db1b037e81aa91a93a295b732ce.jpg

I did rotate the control switch to allow clearance for the wiring harness exiting the control housing, without having to modify that shape of the control housing where the wiring harness is zip-tied to the housing. For an explain, read the previous posts.