The MT-07 Forum

"FZ007c" FZ-07 Chopper Build.

PineappleP

Hello forum!  

this is my first post on here, and I'm about to embark on an overly ambitious project.

This project I cant find any other documentation of anything similar.  

If anyone has any questions or helpful hints, please dont hesitate to chip in! 

p.s.  im no artist, this rendering took me 15 mins.  

InkedIANS HARDTAIL FZ007C - v2.jpg

• Like 5

• Premium Member

Looks ambitious. Can you speak to how much of this you'll be doing yourself vs having farmed out?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

@DewMan

Im hoping for a majority (~75%) myself.  Will be using buddies place to weld the frame (hard tail was purchased at TC Bros. for an XS650) and do wiring and such, another buddy of mine grew up in a paint shop and is on board with the project so I shouldn't need to outsource much work, if any.

Have some peanut prism tanks in mind for it as well that should round out the look.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Yah.  Cool project!   What size rear tire?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

So that's what happened to the engine & wheels of my stolen bike...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, blackout said:

Yah.  Cool project!   What size rear tire?

Thank you!  I'm gonna try to stay with stock just for a bit of swapping simplicity, but maybe a 200 can be on the horizon lol 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, PineappleP said:

Hello forum!  

this is my first post on here, and I'm about to embark on an overly ambitious project.

This project I cant find any other documentation of anything similar.  

If anyone has any questions or helpful hints, please dont hesitate to chip in! 

p.s.  im no artist, this rendering took me 15 mins.  

InkedIANS HARDTAIL FZ007C - v2.jpg

Yes! 

Chops don't get enough love. A properly setup hardtail chop with good geometry is more comfortable and better handling than many may believe. There's something oddly fun about them. Attack choppers (sport bike engines in chopper frames) used to be a thing, but it's kinda dwindled recently. I always thought the CP2 engine was begging to be an attack chopper! 

Very interested to see what you do here! 

This is genuinely intruiging, can't wait to see how this turns out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Yes! 

Chops don't get enough love. A properly setup hardtail chop with good geometry is more comfortable and better handling than many may believe. There's something oddly fun about them. Attack choppers (sport bike engines in chopper frames) used to be a thing, but it's kinda dwindled recently. I always thought the CP2 engine was begging to be an attack chopper! 

Very interested to see what you do here! 

Thank you! 

I'm just as interested to see how it feels when its assembled - it'll be my first ride on one when I'm done!

• Like 2

Don't want to take away from your thread, but this is my old chop I no longer own. SOHC CB750 in a GME chassis. Hands down, the most comfortable bike to travel long distances on I ever rode. Hate that I had to sell it. They are their own brand of fun.

I'm not well versed in chopper geometry, but there's a site called hondachoppers ( if it's still around) and there's some knowledge there on setting up steering angles and such. And of course, there's always the chopcult forum. 

Chopper.png.5d1a7d620bde5919cc77b2c9b5c85bec.png

• Like 3

On 3/7/2021 at 7:55 PM, PineappleP said:

I'm just as interested to see how it feels when its assembled - it'll be my first ride on one when I'm done!

It's funny what we do without trying something first...I bought my MT-07 before I had my license and have essentially never ridden a motorcycle ever (5 minutes on a dirt bike when I 15 was the sum total of my life experience). I love that you are building something that will be your first ever ride.

What is it that draws you to the chopper style?

Edited by seven
Added question
  • Like 1

@seven

That's one of the wisest / most reckless jumps to make bike wise haha.  I was just ranting today about the broad usable range of even just 2nd gear on the bike, I think its a perfect one to hop on first time.

My inspiration for the build is the Dirt Bag Challenge.  Started out as a small group of friends making something random for fun, then exploded into almost a festival.  Basic premise is building a chopper (no harley motors), in one month, with $1000.  There's a meet up, then a ride to test your roadworthiness.  

Now these rules wont apply to my build, but it opened my eyes to the chopper world and how (deceptively) easy it can be to literally Make a new motorcycle.  Plus the fact that I haven't ridden, let alone seen one close up kind of made them unicorns in my head.

something about riding a unicorn down the street just seems real f**ckin cool lol 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!  I know this hasn't been a sought after build but these are the updates i've done, and the end goal picture in very crappy rendering.

TC Bros Z-bar handlebar installed

Vans Cult grips

R6 throttle tube

HordPower air intake

Higdonian Trail Cage

The bike already had an ft ecu tune on it as well as the m4 carbon slipon.

At some point (hopefully before winter) ill be chopping off the rear subframe and removing the rear shock to tilt the engine back and make straight line down the the swingarm.  I want to drop the batter in the little cubby hole in the swingarm where the shock linkage is and put the other electronics in a box right above that.  ill add a springer seat and a pillion seat on the hard rear fender, then i want to Try to use the chopped subframe as a sissy bar and keep my after market tail light and use the rear seat as a passenger cushion!

KIMG0023.JPG

KIMG0024.JPG

KIMG0172.JPG

IMG_0057~2 (2).jpg