The MT-07 Forum

Insurance questions

scat2me

It's renewal time. I'm in Florida and my options are limited. I had full coverage with Dairyland my first year and I switched to progressive last year. No Claims ever. Progressive raised the rates and now Dairyland is cheaper by about 130.00 for the same coverage. Has anyone ever had any claims issues with either company? Let me know. Thanks

Sorry, but I don't have experience with claims with those companies.  I did put in a claim with Allstate and they did a good job with it.

We have Allstate insurance for our cars and house.  I was surprised that when I went to my Allstate agent about my several motorcycles he was able to beat Progressive and even Hagerty by quite a bit.  If you have homeowner's and auto insurance with a company you might ask them if they can add motorcycle insurance to the policy.

34 minutes ago, scat2me said:

I have USAA  auto and they sent me to Progressive. Allstate was to expensive.

Yes, it's too bad USAA didn't want to add motorcycle(s) to the policy.  If I went to Allstate for just motorcycle insurance it would be too expensive too.  It's the bundle that gets the price down.  My Allstate guy went through all the discounts available and we got them all... safe driver, multiple vehicle, policy bundling, low mileage, and probably something I forgot.  Stored in locked garage may have been one.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, scat2me said:

I have USAA  auto and they sent me to Progressive. Allstate was to expensive.

My Allstate policy is quite cheap but I'm an older driver with a clean driving record. I have full coverage for like $300 a year. I've not had to make a claim yet though.

P.S. cheap compared to my auto policies.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I guess its because you have auto as well. I'm older with a clean record. Progressive wants $560.00 a year and Dairyland wants $430.00  for the same coverage.

Where I live there is only public insurance and you pay for insurance for the full year but they basically compress the payments to the riding season of May to October. So in the off season (November through April) I pay about $10 a month and then in the riding season I pay $420 a month. Yes, it costs me ~$2500 a year to ride a motorcycle just for insurance.

35 minutes ago, seven said:

Where I live there is only public insurance and you pay for insurance for the full year but they basically compress the payments to the riding season of May to October. So in the off season (November through April) I pay about $10 a month and then in the riding season I pay $420 a month. Yes, it costs me ~$2500 a year to ride a motorcycle just for insurance.

I mean, at what point is it not worth it? Assuming you ride an fz07, your bike is worth 5k-6k ish. No way I’d pay $400 a month to insure it. 

Im on the opposite side of the spectrum. I only run liability, and for that I pay $10 a month. I keep my bike garaged, and if I didn’t I’d just get motion alarms and GPS on it. 

7 hours ago, seven said:

Where I live there is only public insurance...

Where do you live?  (It's not in your profile)

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Where do you live?  (It's not in your profile)

I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada so Canadian dollars of course

8 hours ago, Ripinpepz said:

I mean, at what point is it not worth it? Assuming you ride an fz07, your bike is worth 5k-6k ish. No way I’d pay $400 a month to insure it. 

Im on the opposite side of the spectrum. I only run liability, and for that I pay $10 a month. I keep my bike garaged, and if I didn’t I’d just get motion alarms and GPS on it. 

Oh I hear you and honestly I only started riding last year so maybe this dream won't last long but the way I justified it to myself is I would rather spend the money to ride my motorcycle for 5-6 months each year than use that same money for a week long vacation somewhere. But yeah, spending 1/3 of my motorcycle's cost each year just to ride it is crazy. 

Oh and I should add that I have a pretty clean driving record. I am late-40's and I have had 2 at fault accidents, 1 photo radar ticket and 1 ticket for turning right, onto a residential street, during a time when I shouldn't (no right turn between 3:30 and 5:30 sort of thing)... all in cars. I am embarrassed at the accidents but all things considered, not bad for 30+ years of driving.

11 minutes ago, seven said:

I am in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada so Canadian dollars of course

Oh yes... I know guys in Canada who are in your same situation.  I wish there were a solution for you.  I guess I should consider myself lucky, because even here in NC where insurance laws can be on the strange side sometimes, it's not expensive.  I'm glad you like riding enough to pay that much.  I'm pretty sure I would do the same, by the way.

Is car insurance also expensive for you?

Edited by Triple Jim

1 minute ago, Triple Jim said:

Oh yes... I know guys in Canada who are in your same situation.  I wish there were a solution for you.  I guess I should consider myself lucky, because even here in NC where insurance laws can be on the strange side sometimes, it's not expensive.  I'm glad you like riding enough to pay that much.  I'm pretty sure I would do the same, by the way.

Is car insurance also expensive for you?

Car insurance is not quite as bad as it is about $300 a month to insure 2 cars but that is 12 months a year. My car is about $150 a month and bike is $210 a month taken over 12 months.

Like cars, many factors go in to the cost of the insurance for bike but the primary thing is displacement and if the bike is a sports bike. Unfortunately the MT-07 is considered a sport bike and since the engine is >600cc that is another bump in cost. Believe me, if I every get a bike with a bigger engine I would try to find something still under 1000cc because that is the next big jump in insurance cost. I can't imagine wanting/needing more power though.

When looking for my bike I was considering a Svartpilen 401 and a Duke 390 and because the 401 was not considered a sports bike (even though it is basically the same bike as the Duke) the insurance was almost half of the Duke. But as soon as I saw the MT-07 I needed to buy it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, seven said:

Car insurance is not quite as bad as it is about $300 a month to insure 2 cars but that is 12 months a year. My car is about $150 a month and bike is $210 a month taken over 12 months.

I was just thinking... maybe this isn't so terrible.  You guys have government health coverage and we in the US don't.  It seems likely that your government is just covering the cost of vehicular accident related injuries from the insurance premiums.  In my case I have to do that myself, and pay quite a bit annually for that.  So while it looks like my motorcycle insurance is very inexpensive, the amount I pay for health insurance and vehicle insurance per year may not be that different from what you pay.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I was just thinking... maybe this isn't so terrible.  You guys have government health coverage and we in the US don't.  It seems likely that your government is just covering the cost of vehicular accident related injuries from the insurance premiums.  In my case I have to do that myself, and pay quite a bit annually for that.  So while it looks like my motorcycle insurance is very inexpensive, the amount I pay for health insurance and vehicle insurance per year may not be that different from what you pay.

I was thinking something similar...basically, one way or another, we all get a little screwed. LOL

• Like 1

When I first got my M1 license and first bike I was very limited on who would insure me as a new rider.  Most wanted 3 years with license before insuring me.

I chose AAA since my main insurer (Ameriprise) wouldn't.  I've passed that timeline but stuck with AAA since they have good rates and were very good on the claim I made last year.  I've also switched all my vehicles (3 cars, 2 bikes) to AAA.

Edited by Nealsmo
formatting

So in continuation of the original question...has anyone had any experience with either Progressive or Dairyland?