The MT-07 Forum

Fork Spring Question

JackTrades

Last Season I changed my fork springs to some by Sonic[.90] and changed over to 15w oil. Sonic included some pvc to make new spacers and by their instructions the preload seemed to equate to the fork cap sticking up about 16mm(0.5in). Over the winter I bought some preload adjusters[MCMoto] and wanted to know if I should cut down the original Yamaha 10mm like he states and then use the spacer or some other suggestion. To be honest Sonics instruction of about 16mm(pvc sticking out beyond the fork) makes the forks pretty stiff (I have not measured my riding sag/sag while on it I plan on doing it soon though). The preload adjusters seem to come with by their description "Initial Preload Adjustment begins at 10 mm past stock" and "Maximum Preload Adjustment finishes at 20mm past stock". So it doesn't make sense to me to cut the original spacer only 10mm because that would make it stock again. What do you guys think? I'm also kind of confused on why it is that Dave Moss states to cut the original spacer down, where spring manufactures want us to make longer/bigger ones.

Because Dave thinks the stock springs are too stiff, even for sub 150lb riders, so he suggests removing preload via cutting the spring spacer.

Fortunately, PVC is cheap, so it won't hurt if you end up having to play around with spacer lengths. From what you describe it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what you need as a starting point. 👍

• Like 1