The MT-07 Forum

Something Old

FZark07

I bought a 1978 XS1100 brand new back in November of '77 that I still have.

Probably 10 or 15 years ago I did frame up restoration. Powdercoated the frame, wheels, forks, etc. Repainted, stainless steel button-head bolts everywhere. Replaced the big old tail light with tail light from a 250 Virago.

Anyhow,. I was going through a box of pictures and found a few. I still have the bike. It's covered up in the garage now, resting peacefully.

Just thought I would share some pics from days gone by.

Image (6).jpg

Image (5).jpg

Image (3).jpg

Image (4).jpg

• Like 7

Beautiful!  My cousin had one back then too.  I went 2-stroke, and still ride the 1972 H2 I bought in '78.  This is a recent photo:

jims_h2_moonshine_1024.jpg

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 4

• Global Moderator

Wow both those bikes! I admire those who had an xs11 and I had the Kaw H3 500 triple chain saw on wheels, so you guys postings really take me to that place where it's always NOW

Are those a set of Lesters on the H2?  Rare stuff these days.

I had a 400 triple with a set of Dencos on it, sounded great burbbling along, then letting it scream.  Should never have sold it.  But then again that's what a lot of us say.

38 minutes ago, klx678 said:

Are those a set of Lesters on the H2?  Rare stuff these days.

Yes, there was a large shop in the DC area in the '70s and '80s that had a deal on Lesters.  Clinton Cycle, I think.  You took them a set of any motorcycle wheels and they'd trade you for the Lesters for a low price. I did that, and had them put a set of Continental tires on them.  It was nice to go tubeless in 1979.

I have a friend who wants to sell his S3 400 in case you want one now.  :)  It's a rider in decent shape, and he doesn't want a lot for it.

Edited by Triple Jim

Lesters were like the first cast wheels out there for sure.   It usually wasn't a cheap swap to do them.

What is he asking for it?  I'm guessing if it is nice it won't be low buck.  But it can't hurt to ask.

34 minutes ago, klx678 said:

What is he asking for it?  I'm guessing if it is nice it won't be low buck.  But it can't hurt to ask.

I've ridden it and the engine is strong.  It is definitely in the "rider" category though, not restored.  I think it could use a right crankcase seal, but those aren't hard to change.  I don't know if the crankshaft has ever been rebuilt, and if not, you can figure it will need to be at some point due to leaking seals between case chambers.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it for $2k or a little less, but I'm guessing.

6 hours ago, klx678 said:

Check on it.  I could be interested. 

It's still available.  I sent you his contact information by PM.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, Triple Jim said:

Beautiful!  My cousin had one back then too.  I went 2-stroke, and still ride the 1972 H2 I bought in '78.  This is a recent photo:

jims_h2_moonshine_1024.jpg

I had a RZ350 Yamaha up till last year. It was in the garage keeping the XS company gathering dust, till I found out someone else wanted it more than I did. While not quite the screamer the Kaw was, it was still so much fun to ride.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FZark07 said:

I had a RZ350 Yamaha up till last year. It was in the garage keeping the XS company gathering dust, till I found out someone else wanted it more than I did. While not quite the screamer the Kaw was, it was still so much fun to ride.

Definitely.  Several of those show up at the annual 2-stroke meet at Deal Gap.

00010.jpg

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1