The MT-07 Forum

What is the average milage you add per year?

LivingADream13

LivingADream13

Hi everyone! Im new here as a member but not new to this forum lol. Ive been searching for an mt 07 (2018+) and had a few questions if anyone could help. This would be my first street bike. Whats the average milage you see people put on these bikes per year and how would a 2018 w/ 6000 miles for $5500 be on price (bone stock)? Ive been itching to buy one and can't seem to find many if not from a dealer (which OTD seems to average 8k, even with 15k+ miles). Any input would be much appreciated and I hope to officially join you all soon!

Edited by LivingADream13
mispelling

• Global Moderator

I average about 4,000 miles a year riding year round as the weather permits.  Low mileage used bikes are great as long as they are regularly run.  Sitting for a long time is not good for any engine.  If it was well maintained I would not avoid a higher mileage bike. 

$5,500 for a 2018 sounds like a decent price as long as it is in good condition. Does he have records of the servicing and is there any damage history?

• Premium Member

As important as to how many miles are on a used bike, its also important how its stored. Something that has spent all of it's time outside in the elements would go way down the list from those garage kept for me anyway.
That said, I put a couple thousand miles a year on mine and it's kept in a controlled environment garage. 

Good luck finding the bike of your dreams. 🤞

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

LivingADream13
6 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I average about 4,000 miles a year riding year round as the weather permits.  Low mileage used bikes are great as long as they are regularly run.  Sitting for a long time is not good for any engine.  If it was well maintained I would not avoid a higher mileage bike. 

$5,500 for a 2018 sounds like a decent price as long as it is in good condition. Does he have records of the servicing and is there any damage history?

He's the first and only owner and its never been laid down. Garage kept and owns 2 other bikes so that is why he is selling ( lack of use).

Edited by LivingADream13
mispelling

LivingADream13
5 hours ago, DewMan said:

As important as to how many miles are on a used bike, its also important how its stored. Something that has spent all of it's time outside in the elements would go way down the list from those garage kept for me anyway.
That said, I put a couple thousand miles a year on mine and it's kept in a controlled environment garage. 

Good luck finding the bike of your dreams. 🤞

Definitely agree.  Thank you and much appreciated!

I did 13k the first year I owned the bike, then I started riding more dirt and dropped to 3-5k per year. I can't commute to work on a bike, so it's all personal use for me. I don't think you'll find much accuracy in trying to average miles out over the years. Lots of riders are just joy riders and they take spells off and on when they ride.

I think Dewman said it best in regards to use and storage. A poorly stored bike can be worse than one that was ridden hard. 

LivingADream13
7 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I did 13k the first year I owned the bike, then I started riding more dirt and dropped to 3-5k per year. I can't commute to work on a bike, so it's all personal use for me. I don't think you'll find much accuracy in trying to average miles out over the years. Lots of riders are just joy riders and they take spells off and on when they ride.

I think Dewman said it best in regards to use and storage. A poorly stored bike can be worse than one that was ridden hard. 

yeah I was trying to get a baseline, but it looks like you are correct. I agree and I am a big believer in nurture over nature haha.

• Like 1

$5500 for a 2018 with 6K miles? Not a bad deal, but not a great deal either. You didn't get 'beat'.  You paid a fair price so don't sweat it.  I have a 2015 that I bought off Craigslist in March of2018. I paid $5K. The bike had 5K miles and had a full Yoshi R-77, sliders,tail tidy, carbon fiber Frt/Rr fenders, barend mirrors, LED lights all around, fly screen, reflash, etc. There's nothing else I would have done to it and it saved me tons of $ not having to do the same stuff. The main thing is enjoy it. They're great bikes, as I'm sure you've heard over and over. This bike is destined to be one of the all time greats in the years to come.

LivingADream13

@emmett I didn't actually purchase the bike. It is still available, but I had found another in San Fran, a 2018 with 1300 miles and it has the TOCE exhaust setup miles, he wants 5k. Im just not willing to make that drive along with a few other things. Beautiful bike! 

Also, im assuming your purchase was private party right?

Edited by LivingADream13