The MT-07 Forum

Cam Chain Tensioner

elykyle15

Hello.

In a newb, impatient, and foolish attempt to resolve my cam belt sound without any knowledge on how to do so, I removed and replaced my tensioner. Of course I did this without locking the chain and I installed the tensioner fully extended...

I did not turn the bike on. I instead removed the tensioner and installed it correctly, this time compressed, and then I rotated the main crank (left-hand side) counterclockwise 5 full turns. No noise. Just a few moments of resistance; as it did before installing the tensioner.

Could the tensioner, being installed fully extended, realistically have caused damage to anything inside? The damper? The chain?

Does the fact that counterclockwise turning of the main crank without locks or clangs mean that there's nothing too seriously wrong?

(I plan on dropping my bike at a local shop on Saturday and I know that they'd have to check timings and anything else and that it's going to be expensive.)

Thank you for your expertise in advance.

Edited by elykyle15
misspellings, grammar

It usually does.

If you tightened down the tensioner fully extended, it is possible you could damage the tensioner or possibly the cam chain slider.   But that is a guess.  Did you crank the bolts down tight against the resistance?  

When I have people install the manual tensioner I tell them to rotate the engine in the direction of running, which would be counterclockwise on the left.    I also have them turn the engine over slowly by hand to make sure the chain didn't jump time, only known of one time that's happened and the rider who did it realized it jumped.   On the singles we do the tensioner swap when it is around TDC compression, cams off the  valve buckets, avoiding the possibility of the valve spring pressure pushing back moving the cams.   Not sure if there is a point in the 270° engine where no valve is in contact with the cams.  

If you heard no noise odds are good nothing happened.  About the only thing I think you could have damaged shouldn't be anything other than the tensioner or sliders.  

If I ever have to mess with the tensioner I will put in a manual one.  Once adjusted and locked down, no worries.  Have them in all three Kawasakis and the SR500 had one OEM.   Four OEM automatic tensioners turned to crap, two in a KLX650 and one each in the KLX250 and Zephyr 550.  Not impressed with them or any others.  

• Like 1

I was thinking about getting a manual tensioner, but of course, in order to save money I bought a used one thinking that, chances were, a different one wouldn't have the same problem. It seemed identical considering it came off up a different year; as I expected. 

I'm tempted to run it to see if it was nothing; saving me ~$600 to have someone open it up and check. Since that's what I want to do, I'll not do it. And pay the dude. I should have had them do this in the first place. 

I just want to tinker with my toys. Ya dig?

Edited by elykyle15
missing word

• Global Moderator
11 hours ago, elykyle15 said:

I just want to tinker with my toys. Ya dig?

No explain needed. Yap'in about stuff is just that,  it's when you get the tools out and get to it, that you really learn somethingz*. You got the guts and the attitude, so stick with it, but also the smarts to recognize when you need outside help.

* @mossrider wisdom

• Like 2

No idea where you're at, but I sell tensioners world wide.   Should you decide you want to go that way, PM me.   Manual tensioners are only $33 plus shipping.  Click here  Not done one for the 700, but they're pretty much essentially the same as most tensioners.  I had bodies made, just not sent one out yet.   

Edited by klx678