The MT-07 Forum

Brand "NEW" FZ8 for $5,999 OTD vs FZ-07 what to do!

belleau1977

Isnt FZ08 discontiued from production? as far i know is not available any more in Mexico, just a few dealers have the last ones offering but thats all....
2013 was the last year of the FZ8 and 2014 for the Fazer8 (FZ8 with small faring) in Canada. 

• Premium Member
I am really interested in another bike, looked at and rode the fz09 and fz07 liked both but I'm 6'1" and 230# so the o9 had the power for my bulk but the suspension for a 150# person the o7 was better slightly suspension wise but the power was underwhelming in the higher reaches (I like to go fast and have plenty of places to do it) Ultimately bought a leftover FZ8 (2013) and put a Yosh catback and juicebox on it. The FZ8 is smoother, and I feel better handling especially at higher speeds. The suspension is also better for my bulk. That being said I think my second bike (love the 8) will be the FJ-09 if what I'm reading is true the two bikes should complement each other perfectly. just my circumstance and preference. :)
What you just mentioned is exactly why I am really thinkng the FZ8 over the FZ-07 due to my size and it's good to have the topend speed for when you need it which for me having my family 100 miles away by freeway I want to be able to do 75-80 comfortably. The FZ8 does fit me much better I did notice. As others on this thread mentioned the main reason I'd go for the FZ8 is for the low prices dealers are offering to get it off the floor. On Cycletrader I have seen a couple few FZ8's for $4,999 leftover 2013 models. For that price all day long I'll jump on one. My only thing holding me back now is I need my tax money to buy the bike since I have to pay off a credit card first so January is only a month away for that. Second I'm in Spain for seven more months so I have time on my side to keep reading all the good and negative about both bikes along with a couple more bikes I have in mind. The top choices so far for me are the FZ-07, FZ8, Indian Scout, KTM 500exc, Ducati Monster 696, BMW Nine T but at $14,900 it isn't going to happen I could have two bikes for that much, suzuki gsx-s750 naked bike new to the states due out in January but old technology on it. I'm not a cruiser guy but the Indian Scout is so beautifully designed I'd leave the sportbike world to have one. My favorite bike next to a 2-stroke dirtbike is a dual sport as you have the best of both worlds. The KTM 500exc is $10,000 new but I have seen it for $8,000 Cycletrader from one place. Only drawback to that bike is no go on freeway so much, valve checks and maintenance all I've read is it has lot of it quite often for a bike that's going to be mainly a street bike for me due to where I,live now. As you all can see for wanting my first new bike I have my work cut out for me but I read the forums and reviews daily on all these bikes so that helps. Thank you all for the helpful replies I take them all into account.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
belleau1977

Hello everyone! So went to the local Yamaha shop in Sevilla Spain tonight to spend an hour and half sitting back and forth on the FZ-07 and its competition FZ8. At 6' tall 218 lbs and slowly losing weight I can say without a doubt the FZ8 fits me perfect. I looked at the specs on both bikes and they are incredibly close to each other on seat height and width. The wheel base is only 2" shorter on the FZ-07. I've been in very tight talks with a dealer back in Illinois who has given me $7,128 out the door for the FZ8 leftover 2013 model. In person I can say it looks way better since here in Spain they have one for me to look at. I've been drooling over the FZ-07 since last summer on my Air Force short tour but now I'm leaning toward the FZ8 due to past experience on a 2004 Kawasaki Z1000 I need a bike that feels physically big enough for me but engine wish the FZ-07 is fine more than enough. I sent an ad off Ebay for a FZ8 OTD for $5,999 to the dealer so if he can get between $500-$1,000 off I'm 100% committed to buying a leftover model. Downside is warranty statrts immediately so I'll get about three plus months of riding in before Illinois winter kicks in and my warranty expires in March 2016. If I can get that price I will be stoked! Basically at that price I won't even think about the FZ-07 which with the mods I want it's still $600-$800 more than the FZ8 is. Will keep you all posted hope this works for me!

I know it's hard, but take your time and keep up your research. If the FZ8 is what you want that's great, but I would hold off buying anything until you get back. I am AF too, 3E371. If you are set on having it before you get back I would wait until a couple of weeks are left, unless you can get a killer deal. Prices always fluctuate and are subject to change, don't fall into any dissolving offers. If you buy something now there is a chance something could happen to it or you could completely change your mind for something else all together. I cant even calculate how many hours I've spent planning or researching products I wanted to get after I returned from many deployments. In the end whatever you get and when you get it is all up to you, I think everybody here just wants you to be happy with your decision.

• Global Moderator

@belleau1977, some of the specs may be similar, but there is a lot of difference between a parallel twin and an inline four. 70 pounds is also a big weight difference .

I would think you could get a better deal on a 2013 FZ8 than what you were quoted. I agree with ricked1 about seeing what is available when you are back. If the FZ8 is still there I bet you could get a screaming deal on it and you would also get the full warrantee.

• Premium Member

I was offered 2013 FZ1, brand new, zero miles, for 5999.00 and I decided to go with the FZ-07 for about 600 more. The FZ1 looks like an amazing bike, but it was definitely a bigger, heavier, wider bike that would be great for some people, but not me. Also... the FZ8 was one of the bikes I really wanted, and it just seemed to fit all of my requirements for the perfect bike. Then they came out with the FZ-07.... well, the rest is history. ;)

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
belleau1977
I know it's hard, but take your time and keep up your research. If the FZ8 is what you want that's great, but I would hold off buying anything until you get back. I am AF too, 3E371. If you are set on having it before you get back I would wait until a couple of weeks are left, unless you can get a killer deal. Prices always fluctuate and are subject to change, don't fall into any dissolving offers. If you buy something now there is a chance something could happen to it or you could completely change your mind for something else all together. I cant even calculate how many hours I've spent planning or researching products I wanted to get after I returned from many deployments. In the end whatever you get and when you get it is all up to you, I think everybody here just wants you to be happy with your decision.
I'm a 5R071 and used to be a 2W171 for six years. All I have been doing since I got here is watch the daily updates on the FZ-07 forum and it's definitely turning into a bike that's starting to have lots of accessories support. My wife wants me to wait till I get back so worse case I can do that. Either bike I know I'm going to love so it's a win each way. Thank you all for some really great info and backing me up on whatever I choose.

Archived