The MT-07 Forum

Brand "NEW" FZ8 for $5,999 OTD vs FZ-07 what to do!

belleau1977

• Premium Member

Okay all I have been doing is checking out the FZ-07 for the past 6 months while I've been in Spain for a 15 month short tour for the Air Force and I have only seen nothing but good on this bike. In Spain at the dealer they have several MT-07's in stock so I got to at least sit on it prior to coming home halfway and test riding a new one in St. Charles, MO at Big St Charles Motosports. Totally sold on the bike before the test ride and now after. Okay now the issue the place I test ride the FZ-07 told me Black Friday only I might be able to get the leftover 2013 model OTD price of $5,999 if I commit but I will know more tomorrow from the dealer I'm working with. I didn't test ride the FZ8 but did sit on one in Spain which I did notice with my 6'0" and 220 lb frame the bike fit me better and the seat was nice also more so than the FZ-07. Also the shape of the gas tank for my legs is what helped the fitting of me. The Fz8 gets a low 39mpg vs the FZ-07 at an awesome 55-60mpg. I've had 18 bikes in 20 years and have had two Z1000's prior for 2003 and 2004 models. I've learned that as long as a motorcycle can pass traffic on the interstate that's all that matters as all bikes go 100mph really and anything over the speed limit is a ticket. Just wanting a bike to have fun on but yet also do some touring locally on it for 100-200 mile weekend rides. The otd price of $5,999 is killing me though but I don't know about the 39mpg and from what I've researched 120-140 miles before the fuel light comes on is what I want to look forward to? My wife told me 39mpg is still good gas mileage so I do agree just not compared to the FZ-07. Your thoughts?

It depends on which you value more, fuel efficiency and a higher OTD price or vis-versa. Personally, there was an FZ8 at my dealer that was a low price like that as well and honestly, if it didn't get sold before I got my FZ-07, I would have picked the FZ8. It was gone though the day I picked up my 07. The reason I would have picked it is because of what you said. It would have fit me better. It is just a bigger bike so it would have been more comfortable. If I were you I would try seeing if you could test drive the FZ8 and see which one you like riding better.

• Global Moderator

I love the torque curve on the FZ-07. I have not ridden the FZ8, but I rode a FZ6R which is also an i4. The power comes on at a lot lower rpm with the parallel twin. I found the FZ-07 a lot more fun to ride. If I was you I would definitely ride the FZ8 and then decide which I liked the most. I have no regrets with my decision. I ride fairly hard and avoid the freeways as much as possible (not that there is any problem with freeways, I just like finding the twistiest route I can) and get about 50 mpg.

• Premium Member
It depends on which you value more, fuel efficiency and a higher OTD price or vis-versa. Personally, there was an FZ8 at my dealer that was a low price like that as well and honestly, if it didn't get sold before I got my FZ-07, I would have picked the FZ8. It was gone though the day I picked up my 07. The reason I would have picked it is because of what you said. It would have fit me better. It is just a bigger bike so it would have been more comfortable. If I were you I would try seeing if you could test drive the FZ8 and see which one you like riding better.
Thank you that is exactly what I was wanting to hear along with anyone else that wants to chime in. My Z1000's got 40mpg so I do know what it's like and it's not like it is bad gas mileage either plus it's kind of a butt break to fill up every 120 plus miles. I did tell the dealer if I committed to wanting the bike I need to test ride it first which he told me $100 deposit prior then if it's a no go I get the money back. I looked up how much for $500 down for 60 months on $6,000 OTD and it was a low $108 a month! i still need to pay for tax, title, and registration in Illinois but it won't be too bad. Almost forgot one draw back on this deal I need to work out if not its a deal breaker. If I buy the warranty starts now vs when I get back in 8 months which leaves 4 months left of the warranty. If the dealer could somehow hold the bike till I got back or somehow work something out since I won't be riding it till then it could work but I can't take a chance on buying a bike and letting it sit for that long without it being run in between. Thank you very much for the response I very much appreciate it!

• Premium Member
I love the torque curve on the FZ-07. I have not ridden the FZ8, but I rode a FZ6R which is also an i4. The power comes on at a lot lower rpm with the parallel twin. I found the FZ-07 a lot more fun to ride. If I was you I would definitely ride the FZ8 and then decide which I liked the most. I have no regrets with my decision. I ride fairly hard and avoid the freeways as much as possible (not that there is any problem with freeways, I just like finding the twistiest route I can) and get about 50 mpg.
Thanks for the help also. So question how much do you guys weigh and how tall are you? I noticed my knees were in the black plastic tank covers while riding and sitting looking down. At 6' tall and 220 lbs I want to make sure it's the right bike. I only got the bike up to 50 mph since I was on a service ride by the freeway so no clue if it pulls me at freeway speeds good or not.

• Global Moderator

I am 6'2", 205 lbs and 34" inseam. I find it comfortable enough but would not want the bike to be any smaller. I love the light weight of the FZ-07 though.

I'm 6' 200 lbs. The 07 would pull you fine. Its just dependent on if you want the physically bigger bike or not. You probably would be more comfortable on the FZ8. No I'm in no way saying the FZ-07 is a bad bike or any thing, I'm just saying comfort-wise you may be better off with the FZ8. I love my FZ-07 and I am happy I chose it but the FZ8 may suite you better. Test ride if you can definitely and go from there.

Sounds like you have the experience to make a call on this one if you have already bought that many motorcycles.
Be honest with yourself.

In my opinion, I prefer the feel and power delivery (low- to mid-range) of the FZ-07 over the 4-cylinder engine, which by comparison will probably be as smooth as glass but have a run-of-the-mill power delivery (good low-end but making it's serious power up in the revs where you need some open space to use it and get your money's worth).
Put it this way:For me, the ONLY reason I'd choose the FZ-8 would be cost.
Also:IF the dealer personnel start adding freight fees, setup fees, documentation fees, this-and-that fees. etc., to the OTD price of the FZ-8 so it would be more OTD than they claim, screw that thing.

One thing You should consider also is insurance premium, I had the chance to get the 09 cheaper then the 07 but insurance was a 400 dollars difference a year plus didn't need the extra power of the 09 .I'm 5'9" 230 pounds and this bike pulls my weight with very little effort ,the suspensions on the other hand could use an upgrade but options are widely available.After 1700 miles I can say I am pretty satisfied with my choice  :D.

• Premium Member

I'm 6'2 210lbs. I have 34" inseam. I don't feel too big?? I agree I would not want it any smaller though. FZ07 pulls fine, and fits fine....in fact it pulls extremely well, that is why we love this bike...it's got balls, and super lightweight. If I were you, I would get the bike that was most cost effective, as both are fun to ride, and both go more than fast enough. Think about payment, insurance, gas, accessories/modification costs, etc into it.

Check out my FZ07 YouTube Channel!! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbkk7kPsXp-lhZ_XD_aFPQ

There will be a ton of great deals on great bikes when you get back. Check out AaFES program too. Thank you for your service!
I bought a HOG from AAFES in Okinawa.

• Premium Member
There will be a ton of great deals on great bikes when you get back. Check out AaFES program too. Thank you for your service! I bought a HOG from AAFES in Okinawa.
I actually looked into if the Rota Navy base NEX could get a yamaha but no go Harley's only. Thanks for the comment only 9.5 years to go but who's counting. I was in Kadena myself for three weeks coming from Guam after a three month short deployment in 2005. My game plan was actually to pick up a leftover 2015 FZ-07 like a month or two before I get back but since this deal popped up it got me thinking. Still weighing the options but one thing I really like on the FZ-07 is the gas mileage.

i was stuck with the same decision before i got my fz-07. I've been on an fz6 and fz1, but no fz8. from just sitting on the 2, i felt better on the fz-07, and BAM, it's mine now :D
plus, i was so tired of the standard inline 4 sound.

For what its worth, the gas mileage shouldn't be much of a difference.
Average motorcycle yearly mileage is 3000/4000 miles. In our case, lets go to 5000 miles.
FZ8 does 40mpg and the FZ-07 55mpg.
08: 5000/40mpg= 125 gl a year x $3 a gl = $375 a year in gas
07: 5000/60mpg= 91 gl a year x $3 a gl = $273 a year in gas
Realistically $100 a year difference in gas is nothing (its $9 a month).
I love to make other people choices more complicated for them :D :D :D

• Premium Member
For what its worth, the gas mileage shouldn't be much of a difference. Average motorcycle yearly mileage is 3000/4000 miles. In our case, lets go to 5000 miles.
FZ8 does 40mpg and the FZ-07 55mpg.
08: 5000/40mpg= 125 gl a year x $3 a gl = $375 a year in gas
07: 5000/60mpg= 91 gl a year x $3 a gl = $273 a year in gas
Realistically $100 a year difference in gas is nothing (its $9 a month).
I love to make other people choices more complicated for them :D :D :D
You sir deserve a pat on the back for making it so obvious! Yes $100 a year difference is definitely not a big deal. I blow $100 a year on something dumb all the time so why not gas. Thanks for going above and beyond to show me your point I had to show my wife the difference also which she even agreed on. Down side I called the dealer I'm working with and the warranty would have to start the day I buy it even if it's going to be 8 months when I get back to ride it. He said if I paid cash they could most likely store it upstairs until I got back and not start the warranty till then but cash only. I ended up telling him if they still have it around April or May time I'll get it but until then I'm still looking at everything FZ-07 and fz8 daily to help. I'm actually leaning toward the fz8 now since sitting on it it did feel bigger and a bit more comfortable. Also as far as power goes it has more than plenty for my needs I never have been one for how fast does it go as long as I don't get run over in traffic or on the interstate that's all I care. Thanks for the helpful info!

For what you wrote, it looks like the FZ8 will be more comfortable for you and that is probably the single most important aspect of enjoying or hating a bike.
The second aspect is how many chicks you can attract with a specific bike ::) for that, sorry to say, the FZ-07 is a real chick magnet, even hippiebikerchick is complaining about it ???
On the money side, the FZ8 has been manufactured since 2010 and has developed 4 years of track record for insurance companies. Adding the FZ8 you are looking at is a 2013 model, it might be cheaper to insure ;) than our beloved FZ-07.

• Premium Member
For what you wrote, it looks like the FZ8 will be more comfortable for you and that is probably the single most important aspect of enjoying or hating a bike. The second aspect is how many chicks you can attract with a specific bike ::) for that, sorry to say, the FZ-07 is a real chick magnet, even hippiebikerchick is complaining about it ???
On the money side, the FZ8 has been manufactured since 2010 and has developed 4 years of track record for insurance companies. Adding the FZ8 you are looking at is a 2013 model, it might be cheaper to insure ;) than our beloved FZ-07.

Well since I'm married looks like I need to get the fz8 since the FZ-07 is a chick magnet ????. The most I have paid ever in insurance full coverage with State Farm was $30 a month on my Z1000 which was in North Carolina. In idaho it was only $20 a month. Your right I'm looking for comfort as a big draw toward if I get the bike. My 2003 and 2004 Z1000's were so harsh on the bum! I had a Corbin I bought for one and the second came with it which both were good for 50 miles and after I was hurting. I also got gel put in the stocker and again only good for 50 miles before pain kicked in. The fz8 seat felt "comfy" for the 2013 model I sat on. This is what's great about a forum you can get some great insight into what works before you buy. Either way I go I like both bikes but right now I've gone from 100% wanting a FZ-07 to I'm thinking FZ8 now. Forgot to mention if I go the fz8 route it has a cheap option for several slip on exhaust compared to the FZ-07 which is more like a full system. Love the SC exhaust and Akropovich setup though but the cost, ehhhh? I'm not a stunter but I like the full cage protection on the fz8 for $150 from Givi. Looks wise it's okay but to have full protection for the price of frame sliders I'm all about. The biggest down on the fz8 is I have looked all over the Internet for custom fz8's and there really isn't any? Now the FZ-07 is slowly starting to pop up more and more custom paint jobs or vinyl wrap jobs.

• Global Moderator

If the FZ-07 is a chick magnet then where are my chicks? It might not be as much of a magnet for a 49 year old slightly overweight guy :(.

The exhaust on the FZ8 is definitely not my favorite. I can live with the exhaust on the -07, but that 8 exhaust would have to go.

If the FZ-07 is a chick magnet then where are my chicks?
Just take a look in your rear mirrors, they are there, running after you, but the FZ-07 is just too fast :D 

The FZ8 was a good first try by Yamaha but the FZ-09 and -07 are grand slams. There's plenty of reasons the 8 didn't sell well. The new bikes are much lighter weight and have the latest engine technology, etc. Read the magazine reviews and it's a clear choice. I'm 6'2 190 (34" inseam) and the -07 is very comfortable. Go for it.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Check out my post I put up on custom FZ-07 pics only. The yamaha colored theme bike almost seals the deal on me getting a FZ-07. I have seven months to go till I get back from my short tour but would love to have a bike waiting on me a month out or so. Keeping my eyes open for that left over model FZ-07 or in general like the wholesale dealer in Indiana who was listing them for $5,699 you can't pass that up!

I am really interested in another bike, looked at and rode the fz09 and fz07 liked both but I'm 6'1" and 230# so the o9 had the power for my bulk but the suspension for a 150# person the o7 was better slightly suspension wise but the power was underwhelming in the higher reaches (I like to go fast and have plenty of places to do it) Ultimately bought a leftover FZ8 (2013) and put a Yosh catback and juicebox on it. The FZ8 is smoother, and I feel better handling especially at higher speeds. The suspension is also better for my bulk. That being said I think my second bike (love the 8) will be the FJ-09 if what I'm reading is true the two bikes should complement each other perfectly. just my circumstance and preference. :)

Isnt FZ08 discontiued from production? as far i know is not available any more in Mexico, just a few dealers have the last ones offering but thats all....

Archived