The MT-07 Forum

Which solution to plug a tire?

DewMan

• Premium Member

I'm sure y'all will have an opinion on this:

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Saw that last night and gotta chuckle out of it. Alarmists and gadget addicts will not be happy with him. 

You just know hearts were broken when the video title didn't end up condemning ropes lol

Some plugs work OK, but over the decades I've found that an internal patch with something to seal the hole on the outside, like a  glob of cement, is the most reliable.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, shinyribs said:

Saw that last night and gotta chuckle out of it. Alarmists and gadget addicts will not be happy with him. 

You just know hearts were broken when the video title didn't end up condemning ropes lol

How did I know you'd be first to respond? 😄

I agree that ropes are best to get you off the side of the road, but I think we just differ on whether they're a permeant solution per our previous discussions. ✌️

I'm of the camp that you use the rope to get you off the side of the road and to get you to the shop to have a proper internal plug/patch installed. 

• Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Some plugs work OK, but over the decades I've found that an internal patch with something to seal the hole on the outside, like a  glob of cement, is the most reliable.

I prefer the plug/patch combo for permanent repair. something similar to this which will seal it from the inside and outside when installed properly:

https://www.amazon.com/Quill-Seal-Patch-Plug-Round/dp/B00KIVXQGQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=B00KIVXQGQ&qid=1613407858&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Even Bridgestone/Firestone say the plug/patch combo is the recommended patching solution. 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

34 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I prefer the plug/patch combo for permanent repair. something similar to this which will seal it from the inside and outside when installed properly:

Those are nice because they seal the hole without having to seal it separately like I do with glue.  I don't think either method will fail.  Of course plugs are really nice to carry with you to at least temporarily fix the flat and get you going.  I even carry a small compressor in my tail bag.  It's the guts of a small 12v compressor that had a plastic case around it.

12v_compressor.jpg

• Like 1

I used the cheap ropes, with cheap plastic handle tools that break when try to shove them in.

I finally broke down and got the "ropes" that military use to fix flats.

These kits come with an interesting wax based lube that makes the rope much easier to insert. I called the company and they explained that lube has no harmful effect on the seal.

The metal handle insertion tool on these things are night and day different than the ones they sell at Walmart and auto parts stores. the "ropes" are also much different, super sticky even after years in my storage.  

I usually end up using the smaller of the 2 size ropes they sell. The bigger "standard" rope won't fit in a small puncture.

I have plugged motorcycle tires, and last year put 2 plugs in my van and drove it from Wisconsin to California. I leave the tire on until they wear out.

I totally trust them as long as the repair is no where near sidewall and is a simple puncture, not affecting cords.

Edited by Lone Wolf

Dennis.Halmstad

I've used rope plugs on wheel loaders, trucks, cars, bikes and almost never had them fail.

Even patched the rear on my friends cbr1000rr and later he went 300km/h on trackdays and it held up (thank god)

• Like 1