The MT-07 Forum

Clutch won't disengage after sprocket and chain replacement

Andrew M

Please help me! 

Earlier today I tried to replace my chain and sprockets because my old one was.. well, getting old. I'm very new to the whole DIY scene but I've saved a lot of money on previous things like, fixing an alternator, my air filter, spark plugs, etc... just some pretty basic stuff, but today I watched a quick video as usual and just followed what the guy was doing.. took off my chain, and rear sprocket while my girlfriend cleaned up the inside of my rim (lol) and then, this is where I think it gets important:

When I went to change my drive sprocket, that nut was fricken ON THERE. I did what the guy was doing and hammered out the nut squeeze lock thing, and stood on the bike trying to pry that thing off, my left arm was recently injured snowboarding however so I put it the stands and my dumb ass put it in 1st gear and starting yankin on it. I felt it slip, forcing the sprocket to move counterclockwise while the engine is off and in 1st gear. So it happened a couple of times.. I finally got the nut off, finished the replacement and everything else went smoothly, get the chain tensioned and all. but before I put the sprocket cover back on I was just playing with the tire a bit.... here's the problem:

The rear wheel moves perfectly fine in neutral but when I put it into first or second, my clutch wont fully disengage. If I hold the clutch down, 1st gear, engine off, I can't move my rear wheel anymore. Engine on, and of course the bastard won't stop moving. 

Here's what I've done:

Nothing, except look at the clutch and see how much my lever was pulling in the (I think this is what It's called) "clutch perch" ... It looked like normal movement to me.

Here's what I've been thinking of doing:

From the research I've been doing, people aren't as dumb as me and do their drive sprocket in neutral with their rear brake (my bad). Also, Is it possible I just froze the clutch? Then I could just try and get my rpm's up, hold my clutch in and get on the rear brake to try and "unfreeze" it correct?

I really don't wanna remove my clutch cover but shet if I have to I have to.. If you guys have any better guesses please help! and let me know if you need any more information, this is my first ever post for motorcycles! Thanks so much.

• Haha 1

Assuming you have only messed with the parts necessary to change the chain and sprockets your clutch should still be exactly as it was before. Try to ride it, it should be just like it was. It's normal for there to be a fair amount of clutch drag in gear with motor off. If running the weight of the rider and bike should easily overcome the frictional drag and operate normally. 

You should be fine. 

• Like 4

Hey mossrider, thanks for the reply! Its so much drag it's to the point I can't even walk the bike in gear while pulling the clutch. I'll give it a shot today and see how it goes!

21 minutes ago, Andrew M said:

Hey mossrider, thanks for the reply! Its so much drag it's to the point I can't even walk the bike in gear while pulling the clutch. I'll give it a shot today and see how it goes!

Can be that stiff, especially with cold oil/engine. Rock it forward and back to loosen clutch or just take it outta gear. 

If it's not like before and you can't ride it, something has been adjusted/moved.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Can be that stiff, especially with cold oil/engine. Rock it forward and back to loosen clutch or just take it outta gear. 

If it's not like before and you can't ride it, something has been adjusted/moved.

Also try putting it in a higher gear like 5th or 6th, it will be easier to loosen the clutch plates while pushing. 

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Update: I took her out today and she felt totally fine actually! Thanks for the advice I was really tripping for no reason cause some people said I might've ruined my transmission by forcing it.  Does anyone have an easy way to tell if my rivets are good though?? I don't have any super precise tools that I guess I need to check it. If I need to buy them I will though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew M said:

Update: I took her out today and she felt totally fine actually! Thanks for the advice I was really tripping for no reason cause some people said I might've ruined my transmission by forcing it.  Does anyone have an easy way to tell if my rivets are good though?? I don't have any super precise tools that I guess I need to check it. If I need to buy them I will though. 

Post up a pic of the river link. They are pretty robust so I'm sure you did fine.