The MT-07 Forum

red key missing

rob 07

got my new 2020 mt07 3 weeks ago,the manual says we get 3 keys 1 red 2 black the dealer only gave me the 2 black keys.is this red key included when you got your new bike or is not included anymore.asking because the manual indicates that with out the red key you cant make new keys and replacing the whole immobilizer unit is required.

• Premium Member

Welcome rob! what country are you in? 

The US models don't have immobilizer unfortunately, so don't require chipped keys.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I got a US 2020 in October.  It came with two black handled keys on fobs with the dealers's logo on them.  One has a small metal tag on the ring with it, with the key code stamped on it.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

I got a US 2020 in October.  It came with two black handled keys on fobs with the dealers's logo on them.  One has a small metal tag on the ring with it, with the key code stamped on it.

So did mine. The plastic made the key so bulky I melted off the plastic and drilled a hole in the key to put it on the ring so it lays flat against the other keys on the ring now.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

14 minutes ago, DewMan said:

So did mine. The plastic made the key so bulky I melted off the plastic and drilled a hole in the key to put it on the ring so it lays flat against the other keys on the ring now.

I don't blame you.  I tend to keep only the one key on a motorcycle fob so I don't have the problem.  Except when I had the Moto Guzzi, which had three separate keys for the ig switch, gas tank, and seat.  I was lucky the steering lock key was the same as the seat key.  Some of them came with four separate keys!

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:04 PM, rob 07 said:

got my new 2020 mt07 3 weeks ago,the manual says we get 3 keys 1 red 2 black the dealer only gave me the 2 black keys.is this red key included when you got your new bike or is not included anymore.asking because the manual indicates that with out the red key you cant make new keys and replacing the whole immobilizer unit is required.

In the UK you definitely used to get a red key.

called yamaha and in the US MT07 do not come with the red key.BTW the manual that came with the bike did not show the red key,the online manual do show a red key.

Edited by rob 07

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, rob 07 said:

called yamaha and in the US MT07 do not come with the red key.BTW the manual that came with the bike did not show the red key,the online manual do show a red key.

You probably downloaded a manual for a non-US market bike.  The US ones definitely do not have an immobilized therefore there is no red key. 

• Like 1