The MT-07 Forum

Anyone have phone camera isses with bar phone mount?

Grant31781

Have any of you had your smartphone camera damaged by the vibration using a bar mount? I have read about this happing on some bikes. I think the vibration destroys the image stabilization part of the camera.  I just got a new phone and am a bit reluctant to put it on the phone holder.

I'm interested in what you learn about vibration damage, but...

I spent some time in a hospital a long time ago, because I looked in a mirror too long and missed what was going on in front of me, so damage to the phone is the least of my worries about  mounting one on the handlebar.

I don't have a phone mount myself, but it looks like a number of people have had issues with their image stabilization at some point. Quad lock and Hondo Garage put out mounts that dampen vibrations. I'm sure there are others out there, but those are the 2 I've seen most commonly. 

I've wiped out two cameras on my iPhone XR.  I didn't equate it with my bar mount(s) until I saw a post about it recently on another forum.

I've used RAM mounts on bars and tank and I also had a generic mount on my DRZ that was pretty solid.  Good chance the damage happened on the DRZ, but can't confirm.

I've recently switched to the Quadlock mounts, so I went ahead and purchased a couple of their dampener adaptors.  Figure $20 for the rubber isolators is cheaper than another $80 for camera replacement.

• Premium Member
On 2/8/2021 at 9:02 AM, Grant31781 said:

Have any of you had your smartphone camera damaged by the vibration using a bar mount? I have read about this happing on some bikes. I think the vibration destroys the image stabilization part of the camera.  I just got a new phone and am a bit reluctant to put it on the phone holder.

Yes. I have, the i-phone 11 I had went crazy when you tried to use the camera making mad shutter, electrical shorting out noises and blurred screen that was constantly adjust its focus. I had only had the phone  6 months, and I recently put the Ram mount back on the bike after a trackday. I returned it to apple via the cell provider and got a replacement like-new phone. Apparently the newer phones are really sensitive, the older 7 I had was never giving me any trouble. I'll just put it in my pocket for now and take the ram mount off!

• 2 months later...

I’ve used a QuadLock bike mount for four or so years now with no issues to an iPhone 6 or iPhone XR. That being said, I had an old QuadLock Moto mount laying around so threw it on there with the vibration damper add on just in case. I think I’ve been lucky not to have any issues with the camera. 

C9EEA856-64E2-4EA6-B986-EEC4F6751C82.jpeg

464D8F36-D9E0-4FCD-894E-7DBB1CDE0035.jpeg

Instagram: @jayparrington 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Dennis.Halmstad said:

SP Connect offers vibration dampening on their mounts.

They also have an add on vibe damper that gives you even moore vibration protection.

AVM_Graph_grande.jpg?v=1602062840

https://sp-connect.eu/collections/motorcycle/products/anti-vibration-module?variant=32538211811437

Without values on the chart it's doesn't tell us much of anything. The text on the link isn't helpful either as to how much vibration dampening it actually does.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I never knew this was a thing. So glad I read this as I was thinking of getting a mount. This for sure will impact what I would get and if I get anything.

1 hour ago, seven said:

I never knew this was a thing. So glad I read this as I was thinking of getting a mount. This for sure will impact what I would get and if I get anything.

I was in the same boat.  I ruined two iPhone XR cameras before I realized what (probably) caused it.  Most likely not from MT07 since I also used a solid mount on my DRZ.  Much more vibrations on that thumper.  Both bikes have the dampner on them now.

On 2/8/2021 at 3:02 PM, Grant31781 said:

Buy a used pixel 1/2 xl on swappa (or wherever) to use as a gps device, if that's your goal.  That's my solution (P1XL on ram mount). 

I'm running lineageos on a P1XL with a minimal GApps install just to use gmaps. I have my state and the surrounding couple states downloaded to the phone, and could download more as needed. No sim, no wi-fi connection needed (or wanted).  You don't have to do any of that of course, and could just run the standard OS, but I was trying to disconnect from as much tracking/IDing as possible.

If the camera breaks, it catches a rock, or flies off the bike somehow, i don't care. I think I spent $80 on it?

Edited by ducarmont

Yeah I have an old Samsung that I can throw on the bike for navigation and then it won't matter what happens to the camera or if it falls and gets (more) busted up.