The MT-07 Forum

Leather motorcycle jacket

scat2me

• Premium Member

Joe Rocket is the best I've found. You don't need to be built like a jockey to be comfortable in it 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

My vote for the top RETRO leather jacket ever made, the Hein Garrick "V Pilot". Thinking about them 'cause they just went out of business after must be 25+ years of classic cow hide.

Bought my V Pilot in 1988, looks as good as day one, no armor just clever use of a cows backside. I'm old and appreciate classics & retro

• Global Moderator

Check CycleGear website, for all the "closeout" stuff.  Saw some good stuff this am, hit and miss on available sizes but prices are good. Best prices are "openbox", people return a lot of good stuff

2 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

My vote for the top RETRO leather jacket ever made, the Hein Garrick "V Pilot". Thinking about them 'cause they just went out of business after must be 25+ years of classic cow hide.

Bought my V Pilot in 1988, looks as good as day one, no armor just clever use of a cows backside. I'm old and appreciate classics & retro

I'm actually looking  for something that is available. Thanks

3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Joe Rocket is the best I've found. You don't need to be built like a jockey to be comfortable in it 😎-

I like mine.  One of the reasons I bought it is it was available in a brighter color than black or dark brown, but it has served me well through some tumbles at the Supermoto track.

jim_electro-man.jpg

• Like 1

I’m a huge fan of RST leather gear. (Not to be confused with R.S. Tachi of Japan.) Quality-wise, RST’s products are on par with big-name brands like Alpinestars and Dainese but their prices are significantly lower.  

RST is not well known in the USA. In fact, the only US-based dealer that carries their apparel is SportBikeTrackGear.com, which sells an extremely limited selection of RST items. But RST is huge in the UK where they are British Superbike and Isle of Man TT sponsors.  

Best place to buy is online from SportsBikeShop.co.uk. in England. They offer reasonably-priced 2-day shipping from the UK to the USA (and elsewhere around the world). Even with shipping costs factored in, their prices are still cheaper than anybody in USA, and not just on RST-brand products — they beat US-based dealer pricing on any other big name motorcycle apparel as well. In other words, if you find something you like in the USA (or anywhere else in the world), it’s worth checking U.K. prices because you can probably save some dough.

(Another great option is TheVisorShop.com in Ireland.)

Part of the savings comes from the fact US buyers don’t have to pay the UK’s VAT (sales tax). 

Although RST is primarily known for their racing leathers, they make a wide selection of sport touring and sport cruiser-style jackets too.

If you’re looking for something modern (but not race-oriented) that also offers comfort and protection, I’d suggest you check out RST’s GT jackets. These jackets come with CE Level 2 armor in the shoulders, elbows and back. And best all, the entire GT line is currently on close-out at 40% off, which drops the price of this jacket down to $172 (plus shipping). Several colors are available.

The price varies constantly as exchange rates fluctuate. To see the most current price in dollars, be sure to use the pull-down window to select $USD and shipping to the USA. 

I’ve ordered from both SportsbikeShop.co.uk and TheVisorShop.com a few times and I don’t know how they do it, but they are somehow able to avoid dealing with US Customs. Each time the packages have come directly from their warehouse in the UK to my door in two days with no hassle whatsoever. 

RST GT CE Leather Jacket - Black from the UK's leading online bike...

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

Dainese Stripes jacket one of my all time favorites. You can pick up used ones for a couple hundred bucks. 

Once you see Dainese's hard armor in person it's hard to want anything else. 

Do you guys have any experience on Dainese Fighter or Street Darker? Those look great to my eye, I just cant pick between the two models. 

• Global Moderator

For $300 the Street Darker would be my choice.  You cannot go wrong with Dainese, especially at that price. 

fivepointnine

Dainese is one of the nicest jackets you will find, but you will pay for it.  I also have a Teknic and Frank Thomas leather jacket and an Alpinestars Textile.  I like Alpinestarts stuff the best, but I am a relatively small guy so their fit works good for me.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:59 AM, mjh937 said:

For $300 the Street Darker would be my choice.  You cannot go wrong with Dainese, especially at that price. 

Where did you find that jacket for that price? All I can found is like 500-600€. 

And what you guys think about Daineses D-Air Misano jacket? Is it worth the price? Are they how easily "exploding" like in the bumps etc. I think that airbag thing is pretty neat.

• Global Moderator
32 minutes ago, Edusseus said:

Where did you find that jacket for that price? All I can found is like 500-600€. 

And what you guys think about Daineses D-Air Misano jacket? Is it worth the price? Are they how easily "exploding" like in the bumps etc. I think that airbag thing is pretty neat.

I found it here. 

https://www.dainese.com/us/en/promotions/motorbike/jackets/street-darker-leather-jacket-201533762.html

• Like 1