The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha Saddlebag Mount Kit (issues)

JeffroTull

Well, I was pretty excited about the Yamaha saddlebags/mounts because from what I heard they are exactly the same as the SW-MOTECH, which get rave reviews. I have to say I am extremely unimpressed with the mount kit so far. The bracket is supposed to mount to the front of the passenger peg brackets, but the interface between the rail bracket and the factory peg bracket is not very solid. Also, it's difficult to see in the photo, but the spread is off by nearly a 1/4 inch. So I had to cut a slot on the new brackets just for the bolts to match up. Alas, the bolts are about two threads short from even reaching the bungs on the frame. 

I am a decent fabricator so making things fit is not an issue- I can buy longer bolts,  but I am rather annoyed that I spent a premium for parts that are supposed to be direct bolt-on. I will let everyone know how the rest goes later this week.

IMG_0272.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeffroTull said:

I am rather annoyed that I spent a premium for parts that are supposed to be direct bolt-on

I don't blame you for being annoyed, but I got to say, that's sorta weird. I have a 2016 FZ-07 with factory Yamaha saddle bags. I definitely did not have your problems or any problems. I don't know which model FZ/MT you have, but I wonder if Yamaha changed something in the models after mine, or for that matter SW Motech because they do make the bags for Yamaha. Your bracket was actually off quite a bit. You might be able to get new brackets sent to you.

Edited by FZ not MT
  • Like 1

Update: 

Well they are not messed up and not counterfeit. They are just for a different bike. So I'm the idiot who bought the wrong parts, and then cut them up so they can no longer be returned lol.

So, as this thread will not serve as any kind of useful info for anyone planning to buy this system -- Mods, feel free to delete it if necessary.

• Like 1

Well, thank you for the update anyway.  At least no one will be trying to figure out what's wrong now.   :)

• Like 1

FYI:

These rails are for a Yamaha MT03 and are for sale I slotted one bolt hole on each but they will still work fine. Asking $75 shipped to lower 48. I will be posting them in the classifieds section once I have 25 posts.

It's kind of crummy that Yamaha made the rear peg mounts slightly different for the MT-03, causing the need for two different accessories.

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

It's kind of crummy that Yamaha made the rear peg mounts slightly different for the MT-03, causing the need for two different accessories.

You would think they would want to keep something like that as universal as possible. Gotta love engineers!

36 minutes ago, JeffroTull said:

You would think they would want to keep something like that as universal as possible. Gotta love engineers!

Hey, I'm an engineer and I would have gone out of my way to make them the same if there was no reason not to.

15 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

Hey, I'm an engineer and I would have gone out of my way to make them the same if there was no reason not to.

Haha, I meant no offense there Jim. My dad is an engineer as well. It's just one of those knee-jerk reactions to say when guys in my line of work have to deal with some kind of faulty design spec.

9 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I know you didn't mean offense.   :)   What is your line of work?

I now work for the USDA at a biosecurity lab in KS, but I was previously a union pipefitter and an  instrumentation & controls installer.

• Like 1

Both interesting jobs.  I've done quite a bit of control system design, and I've always done my own assembly and testing.  It was fun work.

• Like 1