The MT-07 Forum

Safety: E-Bikes VS Motorcycles

bornagainbiker

Very interesting, thanks for posting it.  I ride a bicycle every day, and a motorcycle as often as practical, but knew very little about e-bike safety.

• Like 1

M. Hausknecht

Yes, thanks for posting. I ride between 2500-3000 miles a year on a bicycle but rarely on a road. Drivers here in southeastern North Carolina don't share well with bicycles and where I live there are few dedicated bike lanes. So, I mountain bike, or ride packed dirt/gravel roads with few, if any, four wheeled vehicles. I don't often ride my street bike anymore, but more because its boring on straight/flat roads rather than too dangerous. I imagine e-bikes to be the worst of both worlds. You can't take control of a lane or get away from situationslike you can on a motorcycle, so you still get passed like you're on a bike, but you can easily go much faster than a leg-propelled cycle and without an adequate level of safety gear for the speeds.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I have the same safety concerns  I've always had with scooters/mopeds that now extend to E-Bikes. I wouldn't ride any of them on a public road, with any kind of traffic,  without all the safety equipment I wear when I get on my MC. 

Of all the two wheeled options available for road riding I feel safest on a motorcycle with it's, in general, more advanced systems for braking, suspension and traction. If you're going slower than traffic you're even more likely to be involved in an accident IMO with all of the slower than MC alternatives. 

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I know that I feel safer on a motorcycle than on a regular bicycle simply because I can easily keep up with traffic, and I don't end up with cars whizzing by me, whilst squeezing me even further onto the shoulder of the road.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/