The MT-07 Forum

Bought used bike-not sure if it's tuned

JeffroTull

Ok guys, I apologize if this post is answered somewhere else and I'm cluttering up the site. I just purchased this MT 07 yesterday. It's a 2020 with about 1,000 miles on the clock. I purchased it from a dealer that took it in on trade and had very little info about the bikes history. The only mod done to the bike that I can see is that it has an IXIL (what appears to be a full system) pipe, but I have no way to know whether the bike has been tuned. 

When I went to look at the bike  I was unaware it had a pipe installed because all I had seen was a stock photo, so that was a nice surprise. I had hoped to pop the seat, and tank (cover? side panel?) off to expose the ECU and find some sort of pigtail that would tell me it had been tuned -- no such luck. there appears to be no extra wires in the ECU plug that didn't come from the original harness, no any extra grounds.

As far as I can tell the bike runs just fine, but this is the first time I have ever ridden the MT-07 so I don't have any basis for comparison. It sounds healthy to my untrained ears and doesn't make a lot of crackles and pops, nor do I get a real noticeable snatchy on/off sensation that other people claim to experience. The OEM snorkel is still intact as well.

What are the odds the ECU has already received a reflash with a new map for the exhaust? Is there a way I can send this off and have it checked without incurring a fee (if it already has one, and no tuning is necessitated)? With no obvious indicators either way and no way to get in touch with the previous owner, what should my next move be?

Thanks in advance.

M. Hausknecht

Dunno but I did some poking around. IXIL appears to have several pipes for the 07 and most or all are EURO 4 compliant. They appear to have catalytic converters. They are lighter than stock and at least some are louder. I suspect they don't flow much if any differently than the stock system, therefore, shouldn't need flashing. Moreover, I believe the EURO 4 compliance necessarily precludes reflashing of the ECU. 

Is the Y-fitting with the O2 sensor a cat? If not I don't think it has one.

IMG_0261.jpeg

2 hours ago, JeffroTull said:

nor do I get a real noticeable snatchy on/off sensation that other people claim to experience.

Jeff, I notice a little snatchiness, but only in first gear.  If I'm careful with my throttle hand I can avoid it.  I think in a couple thousand miles I'll be used to the throttle enough that I won't notice it any more.  It may be that you have enough experience with different twist grips that it doesn't bother you either.

It looks to me like you have the "Hyperlow" exhaust system.  I don't see anything about a catalytic converter or Euro 4 in that description.  I suppose you could ask IXIL about their recommendations for fueling modifications with this pipe.

MT_07_L3X_B__18802.1419443331.398.337.jp

Ixil USA is the official distributor of Ixil exhaust for the USA. Visit our website to buy exhaust and silencers for your bike.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Premium Member

I recently went down this road with an R3 that I bought used.... The short answer is "yes"- you can send your ECU off to 2WDW, and they will tell you if it's been flashed or not. You will have to pay for shipping (both ways if it's NOT flashed). If it's not flashed, and you want them to flash it, I think they cover the return shipping? If it's not flashed, I would HIGHLY recommend having them do it. My R3 is pretty much "stock", and after they flashed it, the bike did EVERYTHING much better. Just my thoughts-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Jeff, I notice a little snatchiness, but only in first gear.  If I'm careful with my throttle hand I can avoid it.  I think in a couple thousand miles I'll be used to the throttle enough that I won't notice it any more.  It may be that you have enough experience with different twist grips that it doesn't bother you either.

It looks to me like you have the "Hyperlow" exhaust system.  I don't see anything about a catalytic converter or Euro 4 in that description.  I suppose you could ask IXIL about their recommendations for fueling modifications with this pipe.

MT_07_L3X_B__18802.1419443331.398.337.jp

Ixil USA is the official distributor of Ixil exhaust for the USA. Visit our website to buy exhaust and silencers for your bike.

That is what I gathered as well Jim. That does appear to be the model on the bike.

17 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I recently went down this road with an R3 that I bought used.... The short answer is "yes"- you can send your ECU off to 2WDW, and they will tell you if it's been flashed or not. You will have to pay for shipping (both ways if it's NOT flashed). If it's not flashed, and you want them to flash it, I think they cover the return shipping? If it's not flashed, I would HIGHLY recommend having them do it. My R3 is pretty much "stock", and after they flashed it, the bike did EVERYTHING much better. Just my thoughts-

Thanks for the reply Cornerslider, this is mainly what I was wanting to know. I may try to contact 2wdw this week to verify, but it's glad to know that you had a similar issue and they'll work with you. If all I have to lose is some shipping costs then that may be the way to go.

M. Hausknecht
1 hour ago, JeffroTull said:

Is the Y-fitting with the O2 sensor a cat? If not I don't think it has one.

IMG_0261.jpeg

No cat and not EURO 4, so it might benefit from a flash. I too would ask IXIL US.