The MT-07 Forum

MT-07R for the future?

cornerslider

• Premium Member

I know this is a "long-shot" (at best), but seems plausible.... (I did a copy/paste of the original post on "Asphalt & Rubber" website)  Let me know what you think 😎-

Is Yamaha Working on a Full-Fairing Version of the MT-07?

Jensen Beeler01/18/2021

There is a rumor going around that Yamaha is working on a full-fairing version of its popular MT-07 street bike. 

The story goes that Yamaha is keen to bring a bike to market that will compete head-to-head with the Aprilia RS 660, which currently is the only full fairing bike in the middleweight twins category.

There is good precedent for Yamaha to go down this path as well, as MT-07 bikes are no stranger to the race track, especially when in the popular fairings made by Andy Palmer.

As the photo above depicts, these “FZ-07R” race bikes are no stranger to the MotoAmerica paddock, and they have been packing grids in club racing for quite some time now. Apparently, Yamaha has finally gotten the memo.

The catalyst for this news is said to be the retirement of the Yamaha YZF-R6, which will leave a sizable hole in Yamaha’s lineup, especially on the sportier side of the equation.

Seeing that twins like the MT-07 make great street bikes and competent racing machines when upgraded appropriately, the thinking is that Yamaha could have the best of both worlds if it developed the MT-07 further and used more premium go-fast parts in its construction

The full-fairing model would sit above the MT-07 in Yamaha’s motorcycle range, likely with a heftier price tag, but it would still be considerably cheaper than the R6 before its departure.

While for the time being the R6 is still a contender in the Supersport categories of racing, Yamaha could use this “MT-07R” as a way to keep its grip on the Twins class, which is set to be upended with the arrival of the Aprilia RS 660 and other machines.

How much truth is in this rumor? Well, we will have to wait and see. But, it does lineup well on paper. Stay tuned.

Photo: © 2020 Jensen Beeler / Asphalt & Rubber – All Rights Reserved

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I saw this article the other day and definitely thought it was interesting. At first, I thought it made sense as the loss of the R6 would definitely leave a hole in their lineup, but I'm not sure if the people searching for R6's would be satisfied with ~100 HP based on a lot of the comments I'm seeing on reviews of the RS660. I think it would be pretty cool to see happen, though. 

• Global Moderator
11 hours ago, Dennis.Halmstad said:

Maybe a full fairing version of the 09 with higher spec suspension would bridge the gap regarding horsepower?

Is there a racing class for that displacement bike?  It would be interesting to see though. 

• Premium Member
On 1/21/2021 at 2:37 PM, mjh937 said:

Is there a racing class for that displacement bike?  It would be interesting to see though. 

Nope.  But I suppose you could race with the liter bikes.

An MT07R would make sense.  Supertwin racing is pretty big overseas.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Some further info here from a Japanese site, along with some photoshopped mock ups:

Edited by stickshift
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2021 at 6:39 PM, cornerslider said:

I know this is a "long-shot" (at best), but seems plausible.... (I did a copy/paste of the original post on "Asphalt & Rubber" website)  Let me know what you think 😎-

Is Yamaha Working on a Full-Fairing Version of the MT-07?

Jensen Beeler01/18/2021

There is a rumor going around that Yamaha is working on a full-fairing version of its popular MT-07 street bike. 

The story goes that Yamaha is keen to bring a bike to market that will compete head-to-head with the Aprilia RS 660, which currently is the only full fairing bike in the middleweight twins category.

There is good precedent for Yamaha to go down this path as well, as MT-07 bikes are no stranger to the race track, especially when in the popular fairings made by Andy Palmer.

As the photo above depicts, these “FZ-07R” race bikes are no stranger to the MotoAmerica paddock, and they have been packing grids in club racing for quite some time now. Apparently, Yamaha has finally gotten the memo.

The catalyst for this news is said to be the retirement of the Yamaha YZF-R6, which will leave a sizable hole in Yamaha’s lineup, especially on the sportier side of the equation.

Seeing that twins like the MT-07 make great street bikes and competent racing machines when upgraded appropriately, the thinking is that Yamaha could have the best of both worlds if it developed the MT-07 further and used more premium go-fast parts in its construction

The full-fairing model would sit above the MT-07 in Yamaha’s motorcycle range, likely with a heftier price tag, but it would still be considerably cheaper than the R6 before its departure.

While for the time being the R6 is still a contender in the Supersport categories of racing, Yamaha could use this “MT-07R” as a way to keep its grip on the Twins class, which is set to be upended with the arrival of the Aprilia RS 660 and other machines.

How much truth is in this rumor? Well, we will have to wait and see. But, it does lineup well on paper. Stay tuned.

Photo: © 2020 Jensen Beeler / Asphalt & Rubber – All Rights Reserved

Technically, the ninja 650 would be a fully-faired twin competing at the category. Although, the only real competition it would put up against the other two would be in its price point. 

• Premium Member

It would be nice to see this happen, but not if it's just an FZ-07 with street fairings.  Hopefully, if they do make a faired version, it'll have some other updates/tech as well...

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 1/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, pgeldz said:

It would be nice to see this happen, but not if it's just an FZ-07 with street fairings.  Hopefully, if they do make a faired version, it'll have some other updates/tech as well...

Correct, fairings are the easy part.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 1 month later...