The MT-07 Forum

Used MT07 Buying Tips

shintachou

Hello All,

Instead of buying brand new, I've decided to look into used market.

Saw a few examples in very good condition cosmetically, but I can't see how well the engine/transmission was treated by the first owner. what I am afraid of is ruined clutch, or ruined engine done by mis-shifting and overrevved the engine.

Aside from taking the bike to a local shop and have it inspected, is there anything I can do on my own to make sure everything is good? any sound, vibration I should be looking for?

I'm pretty new to the MT-07 world, but in general when I buy a motorcycle I listen for unusual noises coming from the engine, transmission or clutch, check the power though the rev range, look for leaks, check the oil level and oil color, inspect the chain for stiff links and the sprockets for excessive wear.  Run it in all six gears and observe the smoothness of shifting and the sounds.  Feel the smoothness of clutch engagement and note whether the clutch slips at high throttle.  And the state of lubrication of the chain can give a clue about how well the bike was taken care of in general.  Check tire wear to see how soon you'll need to spend a few hundred bucks on new ones.  You should be able to see the thickness of the brake pads too, and of course look at the rotors to be sure they're in decent, gouge-free condition.

Ignition systems today have rev limiters, so it's unlikely the engine would have damage from over revving.  I have read that the FZ-07 and MT-07 have had some clutch failures.  My guess is that clutching wheelies in 2nd and 3rd gear may be related to this, so listen to the seller's stories about how easily the bike can wheelie in those gears.  If he brags about that, it might not be a good sign.

If you're not experienced with the mechanics of motorcycles and what to look for, there's nothing wrong with making an inspection by a mechanic a condition of the sale.  The worst that can happen is the seller says "no", and that itself might tell you to move on. 

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Thanks 1

Some ideas here:

He mentions it, but I've read this elsewhere: You're not trusting the bike, you're trusting the seller.  So the vibes you get from the seller may be more important than the vibes you get from the bike.

Also bring a strong flashlight; it's amazing what you can see under a strong light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fivepointnine

The engines/trans and charging systems are pretty robust on these bikes.  Just look for the normal things...tires, chain and sprockets can tell you a LOT about how a bike was taken care of and ridden. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Ask the seller how well it wheelies.

The answer will be an indicator how much it's been ragged on.

• Haha 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.