The MT-07 Forum

Affordable Electric Commuter Coming this Fall

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
Metacycle-144-1.jpg?w=640

Sondors has revealed its first electric motorcycle, branching out from e-bikes but still promising usable range at an unexpectedly affordable price tag. Rather than the five-figure electric motorbi…

• Like 2

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

That looks pretty nice for daily commuting.  I like the weight too.  I hope it actually gets to the market with the current specs or better and the $5,000 price.  I don't know about giving them money now though.  There have been a few hopeful vehicles that never actually became reality.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Imagine the acceleration of an electric bike with no transmission/shifting - way cool on the small scale.

But there is the mythology behind electric vehicles. If we mass moved to electric cars, the amount of lead from battery waste would surpass every other current metric of pollution.

Lead makes you stupid, and it's as hard to get rid of (en mass) as nuclear waste.

And the final nail - how do you think electric companies will generate power to charge cars? Burning oil or nuclear, pick your poison.

What we need is those prototype nuclear fusion reacters in France & Japan to actually work. Unlimited free electric + molecular manufacturing could be the holy grail of the future.

• Like 1

I'm not against electric vehicles,  but I like them to go, "vroom".  If somebody wants one, God bless 'em, go for it.

Kind of a Delorean look. Maybe that huge area where the tank should be is for the flux capacitor. 

That seat looks really thin and sharp on the edges. And I use my knees on the tank a lot, I don't see a place to grab it with your knees.  Maybe some covers over the hole?

• Premium Member

Silly me, I was thinking the FZ/MT-07 was the affordable commuter. 😁

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I thought that big hole was for a shopping bag...! Range? Not enough.  Almost all electric vehicles have not quite enough range, for me anyway. 

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

I thought that big hole was for a shopping bag...! Range? Not enough.  Almost all electric vehicles have not quite enough range, for me anyway. 

I agree, but someone like my daughter who loves to ride and lives a few miles from work might really get good use from this. Of course it's still four times the price the used Ninja 250s she's been looking at.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I guess we'll have to wait for the new solid state batteries to hit the market.  This type of battery is supposed to offer twice the range of current batteries, and a charge time of around ten minutes--now, that would be huge.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

3 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

and a charge time of around ten minutes

That's going to take a really healthy AC supply!  Even the little Sonders in this thread has a 4 KWh battery.  A 50 amp 240v circuit will supply 12 KWh, so it would take 20 minutes to recharge the Sonders battery if it were a solid state battery able to take the charge that fast.

Someone else has developed a battery that can be charged in 10mins using lithium.  Their idea is about getting heat into the charging. I will not understand any of this but it must be inevitable that limited range and slow charging will somehow be solved one day.

Just do it! 

firstyammerha

During the Democratic Presidential debates, Andrew Yang mentioned a safe alternative to Uranium for power production. I've forgotten which element it was but I remember Googling it and learning that it wasn't pushed far by the government because it could not be used in weapons production.