The MT-07 Forum

Vibration on new 2020 MT-07

JeffL

Hello all, I just bought a new 2020 MT-07 and I am noticing some pretty heavy vibration from around 4000 RPM to 5000 RPM (can't exceed 5000 RPM during 600 mile break in). It sounds like the engine is straining. It's smooth up to 4000 RPM. Is this normal for this bike? My previous bike was a first gen 2003 FZ-1 and there is no vibration. I don't expect the  MT-07 to be as smooth as a 4-cylinder but this vibration seems excessive. Other than this issue I'm loving this bike. More nimble in the twisties!

Thanks!

Jeff

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I have found the 07 engine to be fairly smooth, for a twin.  If you feel the vibration is excessive, it might be worth having your dealer take a look.  Let us know how you make out. 😀

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member

Yup.  The 07 engine is pretty smooth.  There surely is no increase in vibration at certain rpm's,  at least I have noticed on my two 07 bikes.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I bought a 2020 MT-07 in October.  There is extremely little vibration until I'm in 6th gear around 60 mph or higher, and then it's just a small amount of buzziness.  There is never anything I'd say is even close to "heavy".  I would definitely ask your dealer to take a look.

As far as the 5,000 rpm break-in limit... oops.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I just came back from the Yamaha dealer and all is well. They put it up on the rack, then took a test ride. The service guy said it ran normal - like other new MT-07's. He did say there is a slight noted vibration around 4k rpm in these bikes. Actually the bike ran smoother today on the ride in and back. Maybe just needs a few more break in miles - only had 70 miles on it. I did find that one of the handlebar bolts was way loose - they tightened it. Glad it's ok! I'm loving the handling vs. my old 2003 FZ-1.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about a thing until AFTER break-in....  If there is a genuine problem, it will most likely show its face in the first 600 miles. The FZ/MT-07 parallel twin isn't "buttery-smooth" (especially with the 270 degree/cross-plane  crank). I also own a 2019 Yamaha R3 which is a "normal" 180 degree crank. I have to say, the R3 is "buttery-smooth" compared to my FZ-07. The low-end "grunt/torque" we have all grown to love comes with a price- MORE vibration!!! Yamaha has managed to squeeze a TON of fun out of a budget-built bike that is nearly bullet-proof 😎-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Good to hear, JeffL.  I  know what you mean about the handling.  It's the best handling motorcycle I've owned, and outhandles even my little Ninja 250.  My daughter rode the MT and said "I don't even feel like I have to hang off in the turns."  I laughed and said that I had noticed the same  thing.  It sort of just does what I'm thinking.

• Like 1