The MT-07 Forum

What are the Best Grips for Arthritic Hands?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
On 3/7/2022 at 9:59 AM, Mt707 said:

I’ve seen a couple people talk about it, but is numbness in the fingers along with pain in the middle of the hand a normal thing? I’ve always had a little pain in my throttle hand after about a hour of riding(dirt or street), and I’ve always just put it off as too much pressure on my wrists/hands, but recently it’s turned into my fingers going numb.

I have just always assumed it’s because of the pressure I’ve put on my bars and it’s normal but, after raising them about a inch, I still on cold or stressful days(I assume now, it’s my tightened grip) get hand cramps and numbness.  Am I correct in my understanding that bigger stickier grips would help relieve this? I mean it makes sense, but I don’t have the best track record with understanding simple shet so I really just want to double check before I start making purchases 

Here is a video with some tips on preventing numb hands:

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Very good video above ^^^ 😎. I'm one of the original people that replied to this post a year ago. I'm a rider coach with a local track day organization, and always reminding people to "hang on loosely" when they talked about "numbness" in their hands. My hands were always going numb, even though I was "holding on loosely". I bought the heaviest bar ends I could find, to help deaden the vibrations through the bars. It helped a little, and I have no regrets. The BEST thing I did to improve my situation, was having carpal-tunnel surgery. I had NO idea that was the problem..... By the time track season started last year, I was able to ride multiple back-to-back track seasons (20 minutes each), and my hands NEVER went numb!!!! I wish I had the surgery sooner!!!!! My advise to every rider that is 40+ and struggling with numbness, is to get checked for carpal-tunnel. It changed my life, and I can now ride longer, and more comfortably -

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"