The MT-07 Forum

FTECU flash tune to fix backfire with Yoshi R77?

Forrest20

What's up guys, I'm new to the forum here.

I put a full Yoshi R77 system on my 2017 FZ07 back in March. I liked the little bit of back fire for awhile, but got tired of it. Just got the bike-side FTECU kit for my bike, installed it, threw the power commander flash tune for the R77 with stock air filter tune on it, and the back fire is still pretty bad. Any suggestions or references on who to call? Trying to not spend more money for a tune after already paying $350 for this FTECU 😕

Thanks!

Edited by Forrest20
spelling error

• Premium Member

You could give a different PC map a try.   I had popping on my bike before I downloaded a PC map using  the bike side ftecu and it went away.  I don't remember which map, and now I'm using Hord's map for his air box kit.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

19 hours ago, Forrest20 said:

...power commander flash tune... I liked the little bit of back fire for awhile, but got tired of it.

Looking at the bigger picture, you may want to read this article by 2 Wheel DynowWorks.

WHY IS ECU FLASHING BETTER THAN USING A “PIGGYBACK” FUEL CONTROLLER? – 2 Wheel DynoWorks

"Even on a relatively simple fuel injection system, like the one used on a Yamaha FZ/MT-07, Power Commanders, and every other piggyback fuel controller, simply doesn’t cut it anymore. They don’t allow for adjustment of the individual IAP vs RPM and TPS v RPM tables, which the ECU references and weights differently depending on the particular load, throttle, and engine speed (RPM) data inputs that are constantly being referenced by the fuel mapping algorithms. Without specific control over both sets of fuel mapping tables, some of the lighter throttle/load points simply can’t be properly tuned. This is part of the reason why most Power Commander users for these bikes still experience significant popping/backfiring on deceleration and light throttle transition with aftermarket intake/exhaust systems!"

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1